• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've actually had sleeves shortened from the shoulder. About a year ago I found a nice John Varvatos blazer for a very steep discount. The sleeves were too long, but they had working buttonholes, so they couldn't be shortened from the wrist. I called the JV store in Soho (not where I got the jacket, by the way) and they said they take everything to Ramon's Tailoring on Mott St., so that's where I went. My experience was really good. I mentioned that the JV store told me to come by and they were really attentive and helpful. The tailor did the job for $85, if I remember right, and it turned out great. At first the shoulder seams appeared to bunch a little, but once the material relaxed and formed to the new shape you couldn't tell at all that the shoulders had been altered. That said, if you check out reviews on Google a lot of people don't like Ramon's and tell you to avoid it at all costs. But my experience was good.

That's actually the only time I've gone there. I get all my tailoring done at Wilfred now. I found a pair of Dries Van Noten cotton pants for $25 (down from $365), and for that price I had to buy them, even though they were a size too small. I decided to try to have them altered at Wilfred since I'd heard so much about him. Wilfred let out the waist, and he used the extra length of fabric on the legs to make the thighs a little roomier. He did it by adding the fabric in on the inside seam of the thigh in a tapered V-shape, starting thicker at the crotch and tapering as it moved down to the knee. You can see the extra fabric if you look at the inside of the thigh, but I don't make it a habit of sitting with my legs splayed and you can't see it when I'm standing anyway so it hasn't been an issue. Anyway, they're my favorite pants now, and he did such a good job that I've gone back to him for everything since. He tends to be a little more expensive (I think the pants cost me $80), but I think it's worth it. I never worry he'll botch anything.

Originally Posted by mic
I have a beautiful jacket with working buttonholes and sleeves that are 1.25" too long... The only tailor I've used in NYC is Nelson Tailor, aka Rivington Tailors in the LES near the Williamsburg Bridge.
I had them move in the shoulders/take in the waist/lengthen the sleeve of a Burberry jacket and it came out pretty good (I'm not a severe critic, however. It fits great which is what I value).

The jacket I want to alter is maybe 2-3 times as nice as the one they did for me, and I don't want to take any chances.
Is it a more delicate operation to shorten the sleeves from the shoulder?
Should I try someone else? Price is definitely a issue; I'd like to spend <$100.

Thanks,
mic

pickpackpockpuck

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, and yes, it is definitely more delicate to take the sleeves in from the shoulder. To do it from the wrist, you're just shortening the sleeve and moving the (decorative) buttons. To do it from the shoulder requires basically removing the whole sleeve, shortening it from the top, and sewing it back on. The difficulty is that the armhole of the jacket is already cut to match the top opening of the sleeve. Since the sleeve is tapered, you can't alter the top much before it no longer fits back onto the armhole of the jacket properly. An inch and a quarter may be too much, in fact, but definitely go talk to a tailor and see what he says. There should certainly be some allowance, and shortening it some will undoubtedly be better than not at all.

viator

Reaction score
I visited LNC on Monday to have sleeves on 2 jackets hemmed, and one pair of pants hemmed and let out in the seat. I was charged $70. I went all the way down there because I read here that he is very good and very cheap - I am hoping he is in fact very good, but he is not very cheap. Not outrageous, just not cheap.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by viator
I visited LNC on Monday to have sleeves on 2 jackets hemmed, and one pair of pants hemmed and let out in the seat. I was charged $70. I went all the way down there because I read here that he is very good and very cheap - I am hoping he is in fact very good, but he is not very cheap. Not outrageous, just not cheap.

This is CHEAP

cchen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
wtf? most tailors charge $40 to shorten sleeves. you're getting a great deal

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you must be getting the asian discount pricing. he charges me $35 dollars to shorten from the sleeve end.
ffffuuuu.gif
lnc

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
you must be getting the asian discount pricing. he charges me $35 dollars to shorten from the sleeve end.
ffffuuuu.gif
lnc

hmm $55 today 1 pants hem 1 jacket sleeves + moves buttons. I think his pricing may be a bit random or depend on how busy he is. Said stuff would be ready in 10 days which is long for him, must be backed up. His work is good. Not about to start screwing around with other tailors.

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
hmm $55 today 1 pants hem 1 jacket sleeves + moves buttons. I think his pricing may be a bit random or depend on how busy he is. Said stuff would be ready in 10 days which is long for him, must be backed up. His work is good. Not about to start screwing around with other tailors.

+1. Just picked up five odd jackets each needing to be taken in at the waist and up and down the back, adjusting sleeve length, adding working button holes (so 40 button holes in total), also cuffing and taking in the waist on a pair of pants. $300 total. And his work is good. Loyalty has its rewards I guess.

JoelF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC11201
+1. Just picked up five odd jackets each needing to be taken in at the waist and up and down the back, adjusting sleeve length, adding working button holes (so 40 button holes in total), also cuffing and taking in the waist on a pair of pants. $300 total. And his work is good. Loyalty has its rewards I guess.

Whoa that is really cheap especially for all those working button holes. He must really like you.
smile.gif

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JoelF
Whoa that is really cheap especially for all those working button holes. He must really like you.
smile.gif

I've been loyally going to him since 1998 and came back after he took a break when his previous partner retired. He's done an absurd amount of work for me over time, from basic alterations to creating suits / sportcoats / pants. And he's always done a great job. He's a good man, but he seems to be getting really busy - the place was heaving with clothes when I was there last. This last batch took 2 1/2 weeks. I've never had a similar amount of work take more than a week in the past, but hey, no rush on these things. Good for him, clearly, but perhaps an insight into why his prices may be moving north...he actually seemed more frazzled than I've seen him last time I was there and he seemed to indicate that the amount of work was the cause. SF strikes again?

viator

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TC11201
I've been loyally going to him since 1998 and came back after he took a break when his previous partner retired. He's done an absurd amount of work for me over time, from basic alterations to creating suits / sportcoats / pants. And he's always done a great job. He's a good man, but he seems to be getting really busy - the place was heaving with clothes when I was there last. This last batch took 2 1/2 weeks. I've never had a similar amount of work take more than a week in the past, but hey, no rush on these things. Good for him, clearly, but perhaps an insight into why his prices may be moving north...he actually seemed more frazzled than I've seen him last time I was there and he seemed to indicate that the amount of work was the cause. SF strikes again?

Does he have things ready when he says he will? He told me my suits would be ready tomorrow and I'd hate to go down there (first thing in the A.M., before work) and come back empty-handed.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I'd give him a quick call just to double check. It can't hurt.

I'll reiterate what TC said though - LNC does excellent work.

TC11201

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ThinkDerm
TC - did he shorten the arms on the jackets from the sleeve or from the shoulder on those odd jackets?

From the sleeves, they were all basted, so easy enough to shorten from the end. I've never had to have sleeves shortened from the shoulder, but I can imagine he would charge more for shortening from the shoulder given the relatively greater complexity.

As for timeliness, I'd agree with David - call ahead, but I've never had an issue on that front. He has always delivered alterations when he said he would.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nancy43213