• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Reaction score
@Satorialist. There is indeed a significant difference between my shoulders and waist. However, I suspect that it hasn't been helped by my awkward posture in the picture and my insistance on heavy waist suppression. I had another suit tailored with much less suppression and the fit was much better so I'll probably ask Bang to let out the waist on the first suit when I'm back in town.

Reaction score
Pictures of my second suit from Banz Custom Tailors. David Forster Super 160 Cashmere Wool 2 piece.

Fitting. Bang shortened the sleeves and further let out the waist.

Metal side tab trousers with quarter break.

Right chest. Bang managed to get David Forster lining.

Left chest. Three pockets.

Close ups. Love how warm this is going to keep me!

Comments appreciated. Again thank you to all who've already given advise. I've had a fantastic experience getting my first pair of suits tailored and hope this is the first of many!

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Yes, better overall shape but the backlighting makes it difficult to see the suit properly.

I see that it's in TST; never come across the company before. Presumably those buttonholes aren't finished?

dragon8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit looks much better. Is it just me but the jacket from the front view looksfine but the back view looks too long.

iSurg

Reaction score
It does appear longer in the back - look at the side-on photo. I agree with dragon8

Reaction score
Yes, better overall shape but the backlighting makes it difficult to see the suit properly.
I see that it's in TST; never come across the company before. Presumably those buttonholes aren't finished?

Yes, they are functional buttons.

Banz is located on the 2nd floor of Houston Centre, East TST. He's only been open for 2 years, but has over 20 years of tailoring experience. To be fair, I would never have known about him had it not been for a local friend who referred me to him. His client base is very impressive though, especially considering how new he is to such a competitive market. The time I went for a fitting for my second suit, he had just arrived from the Island, measuring for several government officials.

I'll be back in town this summer so I've already booked an appointment with Banz to have a few alterations made on my suits. I'll reduce the tapering on my first suit and de-rope both suits. As much as I appreciate the craftmanship required in roped shoulders, I don't feel comfortable in them.

Fit looks much better. Is it just me but the jacket from the front view looksfine but the back view looks too long.

Thanks for pointing this out. I'll have a closer look at the length of the back of the suit. Perhaps it was the camera angle but I will post further pictures so you folks can have a better look.

All the suggestions have been much appreciated. Overall, I've been really pleased with my suits and after I sort out all the minor alterations in summer, I hope that fabric will be the only consideration I will have to worry about when getting my next suit tailored.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The question was if the buttonholes you showed were the finished article?

It's good that you've found a tailor that you like and enjoy working with. It'll take a bit of fine tuning.

Reaction score
Ever thought of using a regular tie? Maybe just personal preference.

My work requires me to take off my suit regularly so I trend towards thinner ties. 2.75/3in would be my preferred width but they are more difficult to find.

The question was if the buttonholes you showed were the finished article?

It's good that you've found a tailor that you like and enjoy working with. It'll take a bit of fine tuning.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes they are the finished article. Could they have been cleaner? The fabric is relatively thick.

Does anyone have any comments on the sleeve width or shoulder? I feel like it could be tapered further from the elbow down and the shoulder head puckers too much. It also feels a bit too padded for my liking.

bamboo

Reaction score
Hey Bamboo,

Thanks! Let me know how it is.
Think the place looks decent with good pedigree so definitely on my radar.

I got my jacket and pants done at TCNY. HKD 7,600. VBC fabric. They do not have English fabric such as SH or Minnis.

They are MTM not bespoke. No basted fitting (which I did not realize) After two weeks, the suit is there (fully cut and sewn) and they do minor adjustment (another 1 week)
I have sloping shoulders and need the jacket sent back twice for fixing the issues.

They have jackets and pants in various size as a gauge. Good point of this approach is that in terms of over all design and shape you know what you are going to get.
Drawback is that without basted fitting, you really need to know what you are doing with measurement on the first day.

If you are local, and like their style and fabric, I think they are OK. I found that the process was not any easier than going to traditional tailors in the end.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member