• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
652ACC1E-56DF-471F-B8D2-4B0510C3BDFA.jpeg

Wok works fine on induction, just different. Instead of using a thin pan with high flames, a thick creuset one which I’ll warm up a bit before cranking it on high. The left one isn’t a griddle, but you can see I linked up the spots, which do a better job than my old gas one. The crepe pan is just there because I like it.

Edit:
Copper was useful for delicate sauces and such because you could use low flames and spread the heat well. Which is not needed on induction because it has really low settings. I sold all of mine. Still have a full set of stainless to complement the large assortment of creuset we have. Moved from complex cooking to a more rural type of cooking over the years.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems that you can now buy Wolf modular cooktops that are induction and then add one or two high btu gas burners.

This would seem to be the best option of all. (Unless of course the point is to be anti-gas and not to actually have the broadest and best possible cooking ability).

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
fruit trees and shrubs have been preseasonably pruned and hit with mineral oil , they glisten like bodybuilders . spring is on its way !

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why the lube?

its referred to as horticultural oil but amounts to an emulsion of mineral oil so far as i can tell ...

smothers parasitic larvae wintering in the buds ( leafhoppers etc ) , just a bit of prophylaxis to help ensure a good season

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ll have you know I had the luxury of dining on a fresh Jet’s pizza last night.
I never understood why that's not called Jett's Pizza?

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Look at the beautfiful home you can live in in Pasdadena for just shy of $1m!

Easy freeway access! A 10 lane interstate is just across the street!
7xvG.gif

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
From what I see there that wouldn't last 5 minutes in Santa Cruz.

Oh yes. I would never claim that the greater bay area isn't worse.
My point was that nearly $1m for 1000 sqft across the street from a 10 lane freeway in a city with bad public schools and huge tax burdens is rough. Its also 2.5 blocks from my mechanic!

(The only upside of this location is that you could walk to In N Out #5, the oldest surviving location!)

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Pasadena used to be the one place in SoCal you could find rich people who weren’t stuck up….hope it hasn’t lost its charm

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pasadena used to be the one place in SoCal you could find rich people who weren’t stuck up….hope it hasn’t lost its charm

Hard to say I think. Depends what your frame of reference is.
Compared to when my grandfather was born here, its certainly more stuck up.

Pretty much all the well off folks here are private school families (legacy of the 60's, we used to have a fantastic public school system until white people ran away. We now have I believe the 2nd highest concentration of private schools in the nation, behind some city in Connecticut).

I think perception of stuck up the place is is probably relative to two things.
1) We are way less ostentatious than the general "rich" of Los Angeles. You don't see the kind of showy cars and brand whoring of fashion brands you would see west of downtown.
2) The more you mix w/ the San Marino crowd, the more stuck up Pasadena seems.

- Example of like, the rich here. Guy I went to all of grade and middle school with. His mom was the sole heir of an uncle who owned a couple blocks of what became downtown Hong Kong thanks to some smart choices when he was in the British Merchant Marine.

Fabulously wealthy family. Drove nice cars (Benz etc), but kept them forever, never wore designer labels, not out being obviously rich. They did travel constantly, have a house down the block from the house used as Wayne Manor (and 2 more houses in the neighborhood they rent to Dodgers) with a full time staff, and would throw outrageously cool NYE and Halloween parties. Would constantly donate the house for charity events as a venue.

So not like, flashy LA rich. Generally nice people. But definitely snobby. One time I was hanging out w/ the guy in HS and we went into his mom's study. She was making a list of folks for their upcoming NYE party. I saw "NOC" written next to names, and asked about it. She responded, "Oh, dear, that means 'Not our Class.'"

One of the most obnoxious things I've ever encountered.

Lots of folks like that here - quiet snobs who aren't flashing their money to the world (only to the other snobs).

Hombre Secreto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh yes. I would never claim that the greater bay area isn't worse.
My point was that nearly $1m for 1000 sqft across the street from a 10 lane freeway in a city with bad public schools and huge tax burdens is rough. Its also 2.5 blocks from my mechanic!

(The only upside of this location is that you could walk to In N Out #5, the oldest surviving location!)

It also comes with a Metro train station. **** that ****. Renting there is one thing, but buying there is a big hell no!

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hard to say I think. Depends what your frame of reference is.
Compared to when my grandfather was born here, its certainly more stuck up.

Pretty much all the well off folks here are private school families (legacy of the 60's, we used to have a fantastic public school system until white people ran away. We now have I believe the 2nd highest concentration of private schools in the nation, behind some city in Connecticut).

I think perception of stuck up the place is is probably relative to two things.
1) We are way less ostentatious than the general "rich" of Los Angeles. You don't see the kind of showy cars and brand whoring of fashion brands you would see west of downtown.
2) The more you mix w/ the San Marino crowd, the more stuck up Pasadena seems.

- Example of like, the rich here. Guy I went to all of grade and middle school with. His mom was the sole heir of an uncle who owned a couple blocks of what became downtown Hong Kong thanks to some smart choices when he was in the British Merchant Marine.

Fabulously wealthy family. Drove nice cars (Benz etc), but kept them forever, never wore designer labels, not out being obviously rich. They did travel constantly, have a house down the block from the house used as Wayne Manor (and 2 more houses in the neighborhood they rent to Dodgers) with a full time staff, and would throw outrageously cool NYE and Halloween parties. Would constantly donate the house for charity events as a venue.

So not like, flashy LA rich. Generally nice people. But definitely snobby. One time I was hanging out w/ the guy in HS and we went into his mom's study. She was making a list of folks for their upcoming NYE party. I saw "NOC" written next to names, and asked about it. She responded, "Oh, dear, that means 'Not our Class.'"

One of the most obnoxious things I've ever encountered.

Lots of folks like that here - quiet snobs who aren't flashing their money to the world (only to the other snobs).
So, are we to assume your name had a "NOC" attached?

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, are we to assume your name had a "NOC" attached?

I almost wish it did.

To be fair, most people in Pasadena aren't that way. Most of the people at those parties would cringe if they knew that was happening.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads