• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I can go back to gas: I love my induction too much.
More like incucktion amirite?

For the record, we bought a spec build so the appliance choices were by the developer (and, I assume, reflect what the market wants thereabouts?)

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I can go back to gas: I love my induction too much.
I could see some arguments for electric ovens for evenness of heat. If I had space for an electric oven and a gas oven, I'd probably get an electric because its better at certain types of baking than a gas one is.

For stovetops, gas is just better and more varied. Just this week I've cooked with a wok (which can't be used right on induction), a donabe (which can't be used on induction at all), and a double burner gridle (also wouldn't work well on induction).

I've also used a sous-vide this week. Which is a great electric tool to use for precision heat for long durations without throwing out the versatile gas stovetop.

There might be other priorities besides a wide range of cooking types and quick heat changes afforded by gas, but actual utility is not a convincing argument for induction (at least not for serious / wide ranging home cooking).

If environmental concerns are ones priorities, then I can see why one would change. (Though unless one has solar and lives in the Southwest or all their power comes from nuclear, my guess is the carbon of their power is dirtier than the gas stovetop).

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More like incucktion amirite?

For the record, we bought a spec build so the appliance choices were by the developer (and, I assume, reflect what the market wants thereabouts?)
First Atlanta, now a pleb house; you're a strong man to deal with such assaults on your dignity.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I could see some arguments for electric ovens for evenness of heat. If I had space for an electric oven and a gas oven, I'd probably get an electric because its better at certain types of baking than a gas one is.

For stovetops, gas is just better and more varied. Just this week I've cooked with a wok (which can't be used right on induction), a donabe (which can't be used on induction at all), and a double burner gridle (also wouldn't work well on induction).

I've also used a sous-vide this week. Which is a great electric tool to use for precision heat for long durations without throwing out the versatile gas stovetop.

There might be other priorities besides a wide range of cooking types and quick heat changes afforded by gas, but actual utility is not a convincing argument for induction (at least not for serious / wide ranging home cooking).

If environmental concerns are ones priorities, then I can see why one would change. (Though unless one has solar and lives in the Southwest or all their power comes from nuclear, my guess is the carbon of their power is dirtier than the gas stovetop).
I agree a wok doesn't really work, but neither do most gas ranges either.

But your other arguments are flawed. Induction changes temperature instantly, and it is far not efficient at transferring energy, so it is actually more responsive.

The high end induction allow you to link burners or even just conform which magnets are on to the size and shape of pan. In fact, the Thermador I referenced will actually automatically change if you move the pan from one area to another.

As for the environmental aspect, induction is so much more efficient at transferring energy, I don't think that's true that gas is more environmentally friendly (without the use of renewables). However the difference is likely negligible.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

But your other arguments are flawed. Induction changes temperature instantly, and it is far not efficient at transferring energy, so it is actually more responsive.

The high end induction allow you to link burners or even just conform which magnets are on to the size and shape of pan. In fact, the Thermador I referenced will actually automatically change if you move the pan from one area to another.

As for the environmental aspect, induction is so much more efficient at transferring energy, I don't think that's true that gas is more environmentally friendly (without the use of renewables). However the difference is likely negligible.

You're completely ignoring whole categories of cookware. You didn't respond to the donabe - its pretty esoteric to most, so understood.

Its a clay pot used in many types of traditional japanese home cooking. 100% not induction compatible.

Tagine's are also not induction compatible.

Copper, which is much better at actually spreading the heat the stove is putting off, is not induction compatible. (Though there may be some newer part-copper products that work on induction).

Either way, all types of cookware work on gas. (including woks)

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

We went induction a year ago and we really love it. Heats faster than gas and instantly cool when off. Super easy to clean. Of course there are griddles for induction. I assume induction is making inroads in Japan as induction-compatible donabe pots are available (have not used but looks like a ferromagnetic plate bonded to the bottom, should work fine).

I would agree that round bottomed wok is an issue but TBH most home gas ranges do not generate enough heat for “real” wok cooking as you’d get on a commercial gas setup. We make do with a flat bottomed wok with the compromise that it does get very very hot if we need it.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fire broke out two houses to my right. Was in the garage and was wondering why I smelled smoke, thought neighbor was smoking at first. Within the hour the whole street was filled with fire trucks, power hand saw in hand, rushing in. I left my garage door cracked open too long as I was standing by and observing (the mask didn't help a whole lot) and now I've been smelling smoke all night and morning ughhh. The home is fine for the most part but garage is just smoky (dumb on me for peeking out TBH). I guess buying those seven air purifiers were a good decision 2-3 years ago, so, have them running 24/7 right now. I hope the smoke dissipates..

User name checks out

brokencycle

Reaction score
You're completely ignoring whole categories of cookware. You didn't respond to the donabe - its pretty esoteric to most, so understood.

Its a clay pot used in many types of traditional japanese home cooking. 100% not induction compatible.

Tagine's are also not induction compatible.

Copper, which is much better at actually spreading the heat the stove is putting off, is not induction compatible. (Though there may be some newer part-copper products that work on induction).

Either way, all types of cookware work on gas. (including woks)

There are plenty of copper core stuff, I have some. Yes, some styles of cooking can't be done on introduction or at least require modern versions of the cookware.

You don't need solid copper pots with induction because it is so much more efficient. Gas transfers about 40% of energy into the pan. Induction is about 85%. And the entire "burner" is transferring energy so it is more evenly distributed than a gas burner.

We went induction a year ago and we really love it. Heats faster than gas and instantly cool when off. Super easy to clean. Of course there are griddles for induction. I assume induction is making inroads in Japan as induction-compatible donabe pots are available (have not used but looks like a ferromagnetic plate bonded to the bottom, should work fine).

I would agree that round bottomed wok is an issue but TBH most home gas ranges do not generate enough heat for “real” wok cooking as you’d get on a commercial gas setup. We make do with a flat bottomed wok with the compromise that it does get very very hot if we need it.

Yes, the cleaning is a nice bonus as is the safety factor for kids (plus the lack of NOx and other harmful crap spewing into the air).

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
induction-compatible donabe pots are available (have not used but looks like a ferromagnetic plate bonded to the bottom, should work fine).

Not a lot of resources on donabe in the states. This is the best one, and (I think) the best distributor of high end donabe in the US.
Her answer to using a donabe if you have an induction stove: get a portable gas burner.

You don't need solid copper pots with induction because it is so much more efficient. Gas transfers about 40% of energy into the pan. Induction is about 85%. And the entire "burner" is transferring energy so it is more evenly distributed than a gas burner.

Its not about the energy getting into the saucepan/pot etc w/ copper, its about the even distribution within the saucepan/pot of the heat going into it. I don't know what the performance is on the induction part-copper products. I would need to be convinced (buts its certainly possible they are as good).

Sure. Most. But we are talking about Thermadors and high end answers. As always, Wolf has all answers:
1676772985618.png

I don't have this. I wish I did, but even w/ a high btu burner, at least I can angle the wok for better performance than a flat bottom.

I've cook on induction at at friends houses. I agree w/ the ease of cleaning. I can see the safety arguments. I'm not sold on the performance, and most of the serious home cooks I know around here certainly aren't converting.

I will say - in the 110 degree LA summers, I could imagine an induction cooktop being nice to have. Gas ranges do get hot!

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've cook on induction at at friends houses. I agree w/ the ease of cleaning. I can see the safety arguments. I'm not sold on the performance, and most of the serious home cooks I know around here certainly aren't converting.

I will say - in the 110 degree LA summers, I could imagine an induction cooktop being nice to have. Gas ranges do get hot!
Kenji López-Ali says "If I were to design my kitchen from scratch, I would probably go induction these days."

Eric Ripert chose induction for his home kitchens.

It does take some getting used to, as Kenji says. Wok isn't quite the same but even he says that induction is fine for the majority of wok dishes, which has been my experience too.

Not a donabe expert but here's an induction-compatible pot: https://musubikiln.com/products/kik...y-pot-induction-compatible-for-3-to-4-persons

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kenji López-Ali says "If I were to design my kitchen from scratch, I would probably go induction these days."

Eric Ripert chose induction for his home kitchens.

It does take some getting used to, as Kenji says. Wok isn't quite the same but even he says that induction is fine for the majority of wok dishes, which has been my experience too.

Not a donabe expert but here's an induction-compatible pot: https://musubikiln.com/products/kik...y-pot-induction-compatible-for-3-to-4-persons
1676774230748.png

I like Musubi Kiln. Good store.

However, the above all goes against like.....everything the donabe books espouse as sacrosanct.

The shallow/flat shape of the induction ones seem to sort of defeat the point. The rounded shape of the donabe (according to what i've read) is a big part of the even internal temperature.

Probably less important for steamer-types. I imagine the shape is essential for the double wall/lid rice types.

Is it possible all the sources are somewhat traditionalist and being obtuse, but the shiro mushi dango I've made in the donabe are....really like nothing else I've ever had.

brokencycle

Reaction score
Not a lot of resources on donabe in the states. This is the best one, and (I think) the best distributor of high end donabe in the US.
Her answer to using a donabe if you have an induction stove: get a portable gas burner.

Its not about the energy getting into the saucepan/pot etc w/ copper, its about the even distribution within the saucepan/pot of the heat going into it. I don't know what the performance is on the induction part-copper products. I would need to be convinced (buts its certainly possible they are as good).

Sure. Most. But we are talking about Thermadors and high end answers. As always, Wolf has all answers:
View attachment 1899257
I don't have this. I wish I did, but even w/ a high btu burner, at least I can angle the wok for better performance than a flat bottom.

Example of copper core. I have the a couple of TK pots because I hate the copper banding on the copper core line, but it is discontinued.

I understand it is not simply about efficient energy transfer, but inefficient energy transfer causes hot spots. Flames hitting points inefficiently require metals that help evenly distribute that heat. If the energy is more efficiently and evenly transmitted to the pans to begin with, then that is less of a concern.

As breakaway posted, lots of the home cooking experts and chefs are recommending induction/moving to it in their homes/kitchens. I've said my peace though.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bro, but what about a donabe? Or a giobunger?

Certainly you can’t use a wukochuptic on induction!

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bro, but what about a donabe? Or a giobunger?

Certainly you can’t use a wukochuptic on induction!

I know. Probably not up to the standards of whatever Waffle House or White Castle meal you ate last night.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads