• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's sort of a race to see which happens first, the smell goes away or your olfactory system shuts down from overload.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Something died in my walls 24 -36 hours ago.

2023 ain't much better.

On an unrelated note, anyone wanna buy a house cheap? Or know a way to burn down just a particular part of it it?

Allegedly

Don’t worry - soon it should get cold enough again that the smell will go away.

——-
A few years back my wife was texting me at work everyday complaining that something smelled like death in the backside of the house but I couldn’t smell anything when I got home in the evenings (when it had largely cooled down) and figured she was just complaining like normal. Then I was home all day one day when it got up in the mid-80s and it immediately hit me.

I don’t know what my point is, other than don’t use rat poison if you think squirrels are getting into your attic.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We had a water pipe hanger fall off in our crawl space which then caused the pipe to burst. This happened on Saturday while I was driving home from Ohio and 3.5hrs away so my wife dealt with it. She figured out how to turn off the water at the main, got a plumber out which was only $175 on NYE, and by the time I got home, everything was back to normal.

My 2 worries while driving: 1. I'd had to stay at my inlaws until a plumber could come out...2 places had 3-5 day waits; 2. I'd have to repipe the whole house which last time I went through this was high single-digit thousands if no drywall was touched.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$175 to come out, crawl under a wet house and fix a broken pipe on NYE?? That ****** was hungry.

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In a similar vein, my mother in law lives in a granny flat in our back yard. She has an irritating tendency to not tell us when things go wrong, like last year she didn't mention for several months that the A/C had gone out. The latest was that she waited until we went out of town for Christmas-New Years to tell my wife that the hot water had stopped working. Turns out, she didn't drip the faucets during the cold snap we had the week prior and so the tankless water heater froze, shorted out, then started leaking. Well, according to the plumber, the correct description is actually "spraying water all over the yard". So now we have the joy of replacing pipes, fixing water damage, and replacing the water heater. Oh, and the MIL has moved into our house for a couple of weeks until everything gets repaired.

It's a strong start to 2023.

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a similar vein, my mother in law lives in a granny flat in our back yard. She has an irritating tendency to not tell us when things go wrong, like last year she didn't mention for several months that the A/C had gone out. The latest was that she waited until we went out of town for Christmas-New Years to tell my wife that the hot water had stopped working. Turns out, she didn't drip the faucets during the cold snap we had the week prior and so the tankless water heater froze, shorted out, then started leaking. Well, according to the plumber, the correct description is actually "spraying water all over the yard". So now we have the joy of replacing pipes, fixing water damage, and replacing the water heater. Oh, and the MIL has moved into our house for a couple of weeks until everything gets repaired.

This article might help you in your current predicament.

Allegedly

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Something died in my walls 24 -36 hours ago.

2023 ain't much better.
I gave up on snap traps and put in bait stations after a mouse ate through some stuff in storage, so I'm sure I have this to look forward to soon.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

my mother-in-law has been living with us for 3? 4? months now, with her 2 dogs. she's been trying to buy a place, but the market is still tough in her price range, plus she wants a house for a lifestyle she no longer has. we've been trying to talk her into a townhouse since they're a lot easier to find.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gave up on snap traps and put in bait stations after a mouse ate through some stuff in storage, so I'm sure I have this to look forward to soon.
If you used poison for mice, you should be fine. It’s dosed in such a way the corpses dry out. And since they will feel bad before they will withdraw to dry & calm places, so no rotting.

Now if you use rat poison for mice, get ready for the smell. They will die randomly all across the place, usually in places you can’t get to. A friend of mine did just that in a 140 year old place. Had to vacate for a while.

For once I hope the Van Veen home improvement entertainment show skips this part.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you used poison for mice, you should be fine. It’s dosed in such a way the corpses dry out. And since they will feel bad before they will withdraw to dry & calm places, so no rotting.

Now if you use rat poison for mice, get ready for the smell. They will die randomly all across the place, usually in places you can’t get to. A friend of mine did just that in a 140 year old place. Had to vacate for a while.

For once I hope the Van Veen home improvement entertainment show skips this part.

my neighbors used poison - not sure for rats or mice they are both common here - they make the critters super thirsty as they die so they chewed through a sewer line under the house to get water and made a huge mess . they also chewed through one of the fluid lines under the car .

PhilKenSebben

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus ******* Christ bro, did you not read my post?? I didn't even poison anything

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads