• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Apple Discussion Thread

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The last times I was genuinely wow'ed by Apple was with the iPhone 4 and the Macbook Air (2nd gen, not first).

5.5 years later, I'm still using the same MBA I bought my senior year of college. I bought it with my money at the time, so it was a sizable purchase.

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
2nd gen MBA was much better than the first and I really liked it. First iPad was also a wow for me due to its battery life.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah I remember my friend getting the first iPad as a gift when we were in college and we were blown away by the thing.

Makes me feel old AF to think that there are little kids growing up with retina iPads as if they ain't no special thang.

1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png

dcg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was wowed by the SE. Not in terms of the specs or design (which is years old after all), but that they'd spec it as they did at the price point.

Of course, maybe it speaks to my overall lowered expectations of Apple that I'm wowed by the fact that they actually did something that makes sense to me/was substantially in line with what I was hoping for.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good lord the 5s feels like a toy lol. Sucks that I can't pair my watch with this phone without impairing from my 6s.

Def missed one handed use! And I'm already missing 3D Touch a tad.

Last edited:

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah this is going back. Feels like multiple steps backward and I miss the extra screen real estate.

LTE is also noticeably slower and **** takes longer to load.

Battery life is phenomenal though.

Last edited:

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've never figured out 3D Touch. What are the best uses?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best use so far was probably the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition app, that let you touch the photos in 3D.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've never figured out 3D Touch. What are the best uses?

I use it for home screen shortcuts a lot and to preview pages on safari.

It's especially useful on sf when you're on the main forum page. Just 3D Touch one of the sub forums to see if any threads of interest have new poasts.

Pop into it if so. Release if nothing interesting.

Edit: back on my 6s. This just feels right. Whew.

Last edited:

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cord itself is a POS, but big part of the problem for iPhone (at least for me) is that it plugs into the bottom of the phone. So end of day when I'm laying in bed on my back with the phone on my chest, there's constant pressure on the cord. They should put a right angle connector on them.

They should also update iOS so that the screen flips if you hold the phone upside down. Some apps allow this, but the OS doesn't.

I bought 2 Anker nylon braided cables (Apple MFI certified) from Amazon for $10 and now she has no issues

ramuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't believe it's been the better part of half a decade since this:

https://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/08/24Letter-from-Steve-Jobs.html

After their recent earnings, I wonder if the innovation hysteresis that Jobs left behind has been finally used up. It'd be a shame, because Apple is one of a handful of larger (>$10B; obviously AAPL is way beyond that) Si Valley companies that I respect.

MikeDT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
**** you Apple. I've been using my iPhone as an alarm for a few years now and today it failed me. Didn't go off at all and caused me to be extremely late to a job I just started three weeks ago. Reflected badly on me and I've decided I can no longer trust it will "just work". Bought an alarm clock as a back up so this never happens again. :plain:

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads