• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks peppercorn78, that's helpful. Would you say that your double Dainite fitted shoes are truly double sole height or closer to your shell Kenilworth's you had mentioned were about a sole and a half tall?

I tried looking up what a double Dainite sole might look like on a flat welt shoe and mostly found them on reverse welt shoes and boots. From the ones I did find, overall thickness varies as some brands use thicker or thinner Dainite outsoles and/or leather midsoles. From the EC make ups, AE seems to end up on the thinner double sole side, I'm hoping.

It's kind of difficult to tell because the sole hasn't flexed as far up as the double leather one, but the double dainite sole of my navy EC appears ever so slightly thinner than the double butyl sold of the McTavish. These pictures aren't great, but maybe you can see what I mean.

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like those navy calf ECs, a lot. Would buy if there's ever another GMTO for them (assuming I can get my 222 last sizing nailed down).

I really should have pulled an @mdubs and ordered a navy shell First Ave during the trunk show. Regrets, gentlemen.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like those navy calf ECs, a lot. Would buy if there's ever another GMTO for them (assuming I can get my 222 last sizing nailed down).

I really should have pulled an @mdubs
 and ordered a navy shell First Ave during the trunk show. Regrets, gentlemen.

Yeah, I'm extra glad I pounced. They were a steal At 300.

coffeegrowler

Reaction score
Quote:
Thanks @peppercorn78, that does help and importantly they don't look too thick for my make up. I'm going ahead with my Strand with dainite and leather midsole, walnut flat welt and dark transparent edge dressing. We'll see how this all turns out. Love that Navy calf EC. Never thought Navy would look so great on boots, the Navy Shell Daltons posted awhile back are drool worthy.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

I really should have pulled an @mdubs
 and ordered a navy shell First Ave during the trunk show. Regrets, gentlemen.

Sorry bro! I try not to regret things that I didn't purchase. Too many nice shoes out there! :)

coffeegrowler

Reaction score
Would anyone be interested in a Bob's Chili Heritage MTO?

It's on the very familiar 65 last. I like the medallion on the Heritage which is the same as on the Strand in addition to the shorter wingtip design. This should make it sufficiently different from the Jefferson and McAllister to add variety to one's wingtip collection. The Heritage is currently on sale for $199, this would be a great time to take advantage of a GMTO.

Specs would be,

Bob's Chili/Dark Burnished Chili
Tone on tone stitching
Chili flat welt
Dark Brown welt stitch
Wheeling and fudging
Dainite outsole (possible leather midsole)
Independence insole and lining
Dark brown transparent edge dressing
$199 shipped CONUS -GMTO price

I personally think this would be a stunning shoe at an amazing price. I'm assuming we would have to get 12 people together in short order to make this happen but I would be happy to coordinate.

Some inspiration photos.
Would be a combination of the below two shoes.

Gorgeous pair of Bob's Chili/Dark Chili burnished calf Strand posted by JSO1.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, you aren't proposing a spectator, but instead a solid colored wingtip? I'm 95% sure that's what you meant but thought I'd ask.

coffeegrowler

Reaction score

Just to be clear, you aren't proposing a spectator, but instead a solid colored wingtip? I'm 95% sure that's what you meant but thought I'd ask.

Right sorry, to clarify, I am not proposing a spectator but instead a solid colored wingtip in Bob's Chili calfskin. Thanks for picking that up Count de Monet.

Mark_Y

Reaction score

I'd like confirmation on this as well. If true, why not just get a chilli strand, except for the $199 price. I'm still debating on the other GMTO Heritage. I can't quite get a picture of the Bourbon / Snuff suede. I was hoping someone could photoshop one.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads