• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all who have keyed in their preference. I am keeping a tally of the replies and I'm also taking into account factors such as budget feedback, type of changes, what other folks might have MTOd already and of course the number of people interested. For anybody who missed my initial post you may check it out here

http://www.styleforum.net/t/381983/the-allen-edmonds-mto-thread/1950#post_7326310

Without prematurely shooting down any suggestions, there might be a disadvantage to GMTOing existing MTOs because 1) Paul has said they would pick some existing SF MTO and make it webgems and 2) surely those who have the existing MTO won't join in. Then again if there are enough numbers then so be it. This is just a thought, nothing final yet. So please chill :)

My plan is to keep the suggestions going over the weekend and I will share the preliminary specifications (probably just upper leather and model) on Sunday. It will likely be more than one GMTO design. From there I will then check for interest on the remaining designs and the design/s with most interest will then be fully spec'd, then the baseline price for the design will be checked with Paul (most likely it will be MSRP based on the type of leather used), then we get the final list of joiners for the GMTO/s and then get the final price confirmation from Paul (the more participants the more attractive pricing will be). Then finally the order will be invoiced.

Some may not agree with this process. I'm just trying to keep it simple and easy. Obviously I will not be able to cater to everybody's expectation but I do hope I can at least prove to AE that a GMTO program is feasible so a formal program can be established. If a formal program is established then everyone can have a go at organizing their own GMTO :)

Last edited:

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I almost forgot to cast my vote. I'm in for a cappuccino EC if it's available. Not sure if I'd jump on a brown shell EC.

For non-shell EC option I'd be up for a grain version. Chili is Ok but what I'm really eyeing is a brown calf grain EC. Before the SF MTO was terminated Allison sent me some grain samples and there was this brown calf grain that is very rich and has the same grain pattern as the chili grain. See below
48ecd93d9337d3600992cccdf0cf0bce.jpg

Top row, L to R: 1608 cognac dublin, 1573 chestnut dublin, and 1576 English tan dublin
Bottom row, L to R: 1038 calf chili grain, 1040 calf brown grain, 1659 brown grain

I think with the 1040 calf brown grain, the EC has the potential to look like Carmine's 973 in scotch brown grain
2fe98039df5871dd209446745d38cee1.jpg

I'm also up for a cappuccino Townley. Or a no shell version using the chestnut dublin to make it look like the FSC MacNeil.

Last edited:

frankmartin

Reaction score
It looks like we have five people interested in the Townley:

Me
Burzan
Wood
Half n Half n Half
Losrockets

Might I suggest the following:
-Brown Shell
-Independence lining
-Brown welt
-Medium brown edge dressing
-Double Redenbach sole

I'd go in on a shell Townley as well.

I'm interested in the Brown Shell Townley as well.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I almost forgot to cast my vote. I'm in for a cappuccino EC if it's available. Not sure if I'd jump on a brown shell EC.

For non-shell EC option I'd be up for a grain version. Chili is Ok but what I'm really eyeing is a brown calf grain EC. Before the SF MTO was terminated Allison sent me some grain samples and there was this brown calf grain that is very rich and has the same grain pattern as the chili grain. See below

Top row, L to R: 1608 cognac dublin, 1573 chestnut dublin, and 1576 English tan dublin
Bottom row, L to R: 1038 calf chili grain, 1040 calf brown grain, 1659 brown grain

I think with the 1040 calf brown grain, the EC has the potential to look like Carmine's 973 in scotch brown grain

I'm also up for a cappuccino Townley. Or a no shell version using the chestnut dublin to make it look like the FSC MacNeil.

I may or may not be in on this due to price, but I think brown grain would be cool. Maybe a chili grain/brown grain combo or brown grain on the shaft like a Galway? Definitely would only be interested in the boot though.

frankmartin

Reaction score
I think that we should do something different from what is currently available. I would suggest sticking to lasts and styles which are easy to fit.

I have a few ideas for shoes which would potentially interest me (in addition to the above-mentioned Townley):

A long wing blucher on the 1-511 last in brown or burgundy shell. This could be a relasted Macneil or a Fenway or Banchory. the rounded toe of the 511 last would really make for a better looking longwing IMHO.

A short wing blucher on the 1-511 last in brown or burgundy shell. The Big Sur or Ashland come to mind as past designs which would work.

A plain toe blucher in the style of Alden's Dover plain toed blucher in bugundy shell. The AE globetrotter or or Berkley or Orlean or Jodox styles are the sort of thing I have in mind. Since the Leeds is already on the 1-511 last, i think I would want these on some other last, preferably an easy to fit, true to size last with more of a sculpted toe. This is the ideal thing I'm thinking of:
http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2009/11/13/alden-shoes-plaza-ptb-wcommando-sole/

Personally, I like commando type half soles, but can always have my cobbler add them, so I'm cool with leather.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I would totally be in for the brown grain calf EC if it was not on the 2 last. I'll have to wait to see if something like the EC on the 1 or 5 last comes out this Fall.

rc121

Reaction score

I think that we should do something different from what is currently available.  I would suggest sticking to lasts and styles which are easy to fit. 

I have a few ideas for shoes which would potentially interest me (in addition to the above-mentioned Townley):

A long wing blucher on the 1-511 last in brown or burgundy shell.   This could be a relasted Macneil or a Fenway or Banchory.   the rounded toe of the 511 last would really make for a better looking longwing IMHO. 

A short wing blucher on the 1-511 last in brown or burgundy shell.   The Big Sur or Ashland come to mind as past designs which would work. 

A plain toe blucher in the style of Alden's Dover plain toed blucher in bugundy shell.  The AE globetrotter or or Berkley or Orlean or Jodox styles are the sort of thing I have in mind.    Since the Leeds is already on the 1-511 last, i think I would want these on some other last, preferably an easy to fit, true to size last with more of a sculpted toe.   This is the ideal thing I'm thinking of:
http://leathersoulhawaii.com/2009/11/13/alden-shoes-plaza-ptb-wcommando-sole/

Personally, I like commando type half soles, but can always have my cobbler add them, so I'm cool with leather.   
AE will not let u change lasts, so none of these ideas will work

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still think we should not get ahead of ourselves. Since this is a trial run, I would suggest minimal changes to the features beyond leather and sole in order to not scare off Paul and complicate the pricing.

I don't think he intended to allow us access to the complete back catalog of old models, and relating is certainly off the table, as it was before.

I think the two current ideas floating are a good start.

sungmineyo

Reaction score

With recent interests in EC gmto, i decide to share my golden brown cxl EC. Works great with jeans and chino, works just fine with cotton dress trouser on foul days. I believe i never took out indy aftrr i got this EC.

evolved

Reaction score

With recent interests in EC gmto, i decide to share my golden brown cxl EC. Works great with jeans and chino, works just fine with cotton dress trouser on foul days. I believe i never took out indy aftrr i got this EC.
Wow....that is the best Eagle County MTO i've seen. If this were a GMTO option I would jump right in (Eagle County + golden brown cxl).

green garden

Reaction score
I would totally be in for the brown grain calf EC if it was not on the 2 last. I'll have to wait to see if something like the EC on the 1 or 5 last comes out this Fall.
Looks like the modified Bayfield isn't getting any traction. Everyone is really onboard with the EC. Don't blame you guys since it is a nice looking pair. But one thing I would throw out is that the Bayfield is made in the 1 last. So it should be available in all widths.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like the modified Bayfield isn't getting any traction. Everyone is really onboard with the EC. Don't blame you guys since it is a nice looking pair. But one thing I would throw out is that the Bayfield is made in the 1 last. So it should be available in all widths.

I like the Bayfield too but very happy also to go with the Eagle...my guess is a bunch of people have a rounded cap toe like an Alden already and are looking for something that is less rounded that can pair easier with dressier clothes.

Only makeup in the EC that has been floated so far that I would not do is the brown pebble and that is only as I just made a brown boot purchase with some pebble on it. Since the merlot EC is being floated I am holding off on wearing my Krause Wolverines for the first time as I would sell them if we did the merlot EC.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads