• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Quote:Thanks! I like that they are sleeker with the flat welt. The brown is awesome. I basically get different shades of brown depending light and reflection. I'm considering potentially doing the Dundee or Leeds in black with flat welt and wheeled edge. The Harrison cap-toe is too formal for most occasions...
I agree it does look a bit sleeker. I guess I'm just used to looking at the split on my Burgundy ones. I love looking at those in the sun as well. I'm having the sole redone under warranty and thought about changing the welt color and edge dressing but in the end kept it black. Brown there a few more ways to go though.

gatszu

Reaction score
I agree it does look a bit sleeker. I guess I'm just used to looking at the split on my Burgundy ones. I love looking at those in the sun as well. I'm having the sole redone under warranty and thought about changing the welt color and edge dressing but in the end kept it black. Brown there a few more ways to go though.

I think natural welt and edge might look nice.

evolved

Reaction score
I remember someone getting a pair of seconds that had the pinking just like Mikes as the only issue, it would depend on the person inspecting I suppose.

Sorry to hear they will have to be redone again Mike.

My MTO Macneils had one spot where the pinking was off and they offered me seconds pricing + some other promotional special. MTO cappuccino's for $299? That pinking defect just became character, lol.

MKJ1

Reaction score
Latest MTOs arrived

Specs:
Strand Golf Shoe on 73 last
Dark brown burnished calf
Tone on tone stitching
Chili split-reverse welt
Light brown transparent edge dressing
Double leather outsole with v-tread 
AE toplift
Standard leather insole
Blue lining
No medallion

Although i really liked the way these turned out, I'm not crazy about the dark brown trim between the welt & the top of the soles. I think it would have made for a nicer transition between the welt and the sole if that dark ring was the same color the rest of the edge dressing. It kind of reminds me of eyeliner.
I noticed that some MTOs with the same welt/edge dressing specs as mine have that brown ring and some don't. Is there a particular wording I should be using so the top and edge of my soles come out the same color? My previous ones came out the same way also with the top of the soles (the part that is wheeled) a dark brown and the edges light transparent brown.

frankmartin

Reaction score
What is the normal turnaround time on MTOs? I ordered my first MTO on April 28th and am wondering. My invoice actually says "CUSTOM ORDER BACKORDERED 8-10 WEEKS", but I'm seeing other folks receiving theirs form the Anniversary sale.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

What is the normal turnaround time on MTOs?   I ordered my first MTO on April 28th and am wondering.     My invoice actually says "CUSTOM ORDER BACKORDERED 8-10 WEEKS", but I'm seeing other folks receiving theirs form the Anniversary sale. 

Mine have been taking 3-4 weeks, they usually estimate high.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Latest MTOs arrived

Specs:
Strand Golf Shoe on 73 last
Dark brown burnished calf
Tone on tone stitching
Chili split-reverse welt
Light brown transparent edge dressing
Double leather outsole with v-tread
AE toplift
Standard leather insole
Blue lining
No medallion

Although i really liked the way these turned out, I'm not crazy about the dark brown trim between the welt & the top of the soles. I think it would have made for a nicer transition between the welt and the sole if that dark ring was the same color the rest of the edge dressing. It kind of reminds me of eyeliner.
I noticed that some MTOs with the same welt/edge dressing specs as mine have that brown ring and some don't. Is there a particular wording I should be using so the top and edge of my soles come out the same color? My previous ones came out the same way also with the top of the soles (the part that is wheeled) a dark brown and the edges light transparent brown.

Congrats - they look pretty cool to me.

Don't suppose you'd mind posting two more pics: from above, and also the soles?

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I placed an order for an MTO chili calfskin Eagle County for my wife on Feb 1, but because her size was unavailable on the 222 last and I couldn't resist the $197 MTO boots, I decided to use her order for another Eagle County MTO for myself. Problem was I already had 2 previous Eagle COunty MTOs (tan waxy saddle and burgundy calfskin). So anyway I decided to do something unusual. Final order made on April 11 and after 5 weeks, here is probably the last pair Eagle County MTOs.

14207266316_c75ac473bc_z.jpg

14230332025_d464d4e7f5_z.jpg

14043660918_fd9fc5c916_z.jpg

MODEL EAGLE COUNTY
NAVY CALF
TONE ON TONE UPPER STITCHING
BLIND EYELETS NO SPEEDHOOKS
INDEPENDENCE INSOLE AND LINING
BLACK FLAT WELT
BLACK DAINITE OUTSOLE
HONOR ORIGINAL INVOICE ($197)

Last edited:

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

I placed an order for an MTO chili calfskin Eagle County for my wife on Feb 1, but because her size was unavailable on the 222 last and I couldn't resist the $197 MTO boots, I decided to use her order for another Eagle County MTO for myself. Problem was I already had 2 previous Eagle COunty MTOs (tan waxy saddle and burgundy calfskin). So anyway I decided to do something unusual. Final order made on April 11 and after 5 weeks, here is probably the last pair Eagle County MTOs.
MODEL EAGLE COUNTY NAVY CALF TONE ON TONE UPPER STITCHING BLIND EYELETS NO SPEEDHOOKS INDEPENDENCE INSOLE AND LINING BLACK FLAT WELT BLACK DAINITE OUTSOLE HONOR ORIGINAL INVOICE ($197)
Awesome! I love navy shoes/boots and these look great. It's making me think about possibilities of a navy calfskin MTO now even though the last thing I need in life right now is probably more shoes. The pitfalls of reading threads like this...:p

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

MODEL EAGLE COUNTY NAVY CALF TONE ON TONE UPPER STITCHING BLIND EYELETS NO SPEEDHOOKS INDEPENDENCE INSOLE AND LINING BLACK FLAT WELT BLACK DAINITE OUTSOLE HONOR ORIGINAL INVOICE ($197)
Ummm... Dang those are awesome! I wish I could do an order of them even at full price. Too bad, I did it with Crockett and Jones instead of AE. Love how you pouched your wife's MTO!!! :) -Mike

Last edited:

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Awesome! I love navy shoes/boots and these look great. It's making me think about possibilities of a navy calfskin MTO now even though the last thing I need in life right now is probably more shoes. The pitfalls of reading threads like this...
tongue.gif

Thanks! This is only my 3rd navy shoe (i have a navy boat shoe and a navy suede grayson) and I can totally see why you love the color. The color is growing on me. I bet a navy calf MacNeil (or MacNeil 5) would look great.

Ummm... Dang those are awesome! I wish I could do an order of them even at full price. Too bad, I did it with Crockett and Jones instead of AE. Love how you pouched your wife's MTO!!! :)

-Mike

Thanks Mike. Really consider myself lucky to be able to grab 3 of these boots, all for $197 each! What a coup! Haha yeah, it was a brilliant move. Original intention was good, final result even better.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! This is only my 3rd navy shoe (i have a navy boat shoe and a navy suede grayson) and I can totally see why you love the color. The color is growing on me. I bet a navy calf MacNeil (or MacNeil 5) would look great.

Navy rocks. I wish AE had a better selection of navy leathers. Well, I really just wish they had navy CXL and navy shell. I had to go to Alden and Rancourt to get those. (Oh, and Carmina also.) But, I would have preferred to keep it in the family as it were.

Last edited:

wonsmithr8

Reaction score

Haha I was just thinking this after looking at your boots and the navy lwb on crepe sole in the Alden thread.

Nice boots btw!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads