• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Yes, I think it will crease below the captoe stitching. There is some extra volume for my foot in the vamp area, coupled with the longer captoe, I believe it will result on some creasing on the cap itself. I suspected this might be the case when I ordered, and since this is meant to be more of a casual shoe, it's not really an issue for me.
Thanks! Yes, I will enjoy them with or without the captoe creases.
happy.gif

I chose CXL for this MTO mainly because I really like shoes made out of CXL, but I also thought the Lexington, being a captoe blucher, would be better suited for my purposes if it was made in a more casual leather. I think it can be dressed up in a pinch, but can be dressed down further compared to the regular Lexington. I tried going for maximum versatility within the casual to business-casual spectrum with this pair.

I think you nailed it! Those CXL Lexingtons looks amazing, I love the dainite sole as well.

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone thought of a Leeds in walnut shell or walnut or chili?

I may try one with 4 blind eyelets, Tempest or V tread, brown or chili edge dressing, tone on tone stitching. I need a simple derby to wear with a range of earthy tones. I think it would look sweet in walnut or chili, maybe even chili grain.

Problem is, I'm not sure my sizing in that last. I measure 8E, fit 7.5 EEE in the 65 last, have a narrow heel and high instep. I'm about a 7.5D in the Barrie last...

Great MTOs, fellas!

sacafotos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The MacNeil 5 Webgems also arrived today. These took a few more days than the stated 5/9 date to complete (I ordered on 4/1). I didn't see any major issues on these after a quick once-over, but the alignment of eyelets on one shoe is slightly off. It really doesn't bother me as it's not as bad as some other ones I've seen posted on the AE thread and isn't super obvious, so I'm going to let that slide as long as I don't find other glaring issues.

It's interesting to note that the internal side padding that is present on the regular MacNeils are also in this shoe. I have not seen this type of padding on any other AE model I've encountered, so I guess they really just transplanted the MacNeil onto the 65-last. The leather is indeed CXL, which is nice (I love CXL) and looks good in my estimation. This should be another versatile pair of shoes for the rotation.

Some pics:

You can see the internal padding I mentioned here:

Nice! I may try to score a pair instead of waiting around for the Alden makeup I've wanted.

What color is that? Never seen a burgundy CXL...stunning.

Wonder if I can do a brown edge dressing on these? The last is sleeker than Alden's, that's for sure.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Well, for one there is only black, brown, and burgundy shell at the moment. In regular calf you could do a walnut or chili. No walnut grain either. But they have chili grain. Also I don't think you can specify eyelet number, but I could be wrong. I know if a shoe has a pattern, or medallion you can opt not to have. But can't add a medallion if the the shoe originally didn't have one. For the 1-511 last I'd go your measured size to start with.

MKJ1

Reaction score
Looks like they sped up the turn around time on MTOs recently. Last orders I placed during the RDA sale had a 2 month turn around time while the order I placed 4/28 is already shipping out. Nice

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Has anyone thought of a Leeds in walnut shell or walnut or chili?

I may try one with 4 blind eyelets, Tempest or V tread, brown or chili edge dressing, tone on tone stitching. I need a simple derby to wear with a range of earthy tones. I think it would look sweet in walnut or chili, maybe even chili grain.

Problem is, I'm not sure my sizing in that last. I measure 8E, fit 7.5 EEE in the 65 last, have a narrow heel and high instep. I'm about a 7.5D in the Barrie last...

Great MTOs, fellas!

Walnut shell is not available. If it were you would see a pretty active amount of them here :bounce2:

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Well, here they are!!

As you can see, they are stunning! The burnishing came out great, which is somewhat tricky for bourbon shoes.

BUT as we have seen with recent MTOs, there were some mistakes that I have brought to Allison's attention… maybe she grades the shoe manufacturers on following instructions.
facepalm.gif

The edges are supposed to be toasted, not brown. This is one issue that saddens me as I was really looking forward to the uniqueness of toasted edges.
And the other is the sock liner color, supposed to be snuff suede not tan suede. No biggie here, no one will ever see that.

Well I hope you enjoy the pic!!!!

Its been a while but FINALLY my MTO fifth streets have come back to my possession and I am very pleased. I had Allison redo the edges to the originally requested toasted edge dressing, which I think looks much better then the dark brown they used by mistake.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

Its been a while but FINALLY my MTO fifth streets have come back to my possession and I am very pleased. I had Allison redo the edges to the originally requested toasted edge dressing, which I think looks much better then the dark brown they used by mistake.
Looking great Scotty. I like the lining. What color is that? -M

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score
Well, the second shot at the Strands were a fail as well. They forgot to do the medium brown edging, instead they did just standard dark brown (nearly black) edges. Also the pinking on these shoes are just atrocious.

Here are the new ones:

Here are the ones that were the proper design (but made in the wrong size):

-Mike

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
Damn, Mike. If it weren't for bad luck with those...

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, the second shot at the Strands were a fail as well. They forgot to do the medium brown edging, instead they did just standard dark brown (nearly black) edges. Also the pinking on these shoes are just atrocious.

Here are the new ones:

-Mike
Wow, Mike.
Sorry you have had so much trouble.
At least you don't have to eat this pair.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here are the new ones:

-Mike

That pinking fail is bizarre. How could QC not have noticed that?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads