• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, much appreciate any input from the enablers in this thread regarding my next MTO. I'm planning a trip to Italy this fall and I plan on doing a lot of walking, probably about 8-10hrs per day. I've been looking at my current shoe line up and apart from my New Balance trainers and Converse Jack Purcells, the only shoes I feel will allow me to walk that much comfortably are my tan chukkamok with vibram gumlite rubber sole, chili Carson City boots w/ white harrier sole, and probably to a lesser extent the grey Aberdeen with the mini lug sole.

The problem I have with these shoes are they aren't very versatile either because of their color (grey) and/or design (long wing chukka, thick white rubber sole). I'd like to have a more versatile shoe with a forgiving sole that I can wear with jeans, chinos and cords. Dainite is out since I dont think it has enough give for really long walks (I'll probably be carrying my 2yo son quite a bit too).

I was thinking of either getting a MacNeil or Black Hills in natural CXL with natural welt and red vibram gumlite sole. My current preference is the red gumlite sole, but concerned that it will again limit the pant-shoe combination I can use it with. Also concerned that natural CXL will be too light and that golden brown CXL might be the better option. That said it will be casual show thus it shouldnt matter that much. For background info I will most likely bring the walnut strand, burgundy EC and navy suede grayson too.

Much appreciate any input. Here are the rest of my shoes to provide more background info.

Walnut Strand with V-tread tap soles
Tan Chukkamok
Elgin
Tan suede Amok
Navy Harbour
Navy suede Grayson with JR soles
Grey Aberdeen
BB chili grain MacNeils
Chili Carson City
Burgundy Eagle County with black Dainite
Navy Eagle Country with black Dainite
Tan waxy saddle Eagle County with mini-lug tap soles
Brown CXL Rothsay with mini-lug tap soles
Brogue Suede Grayson with red Dainite (in production)
Chili Grain Lexington with v-tread tap sole (in production)

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi folks, much appreciate any input from the enablers in this thread regarding my next MTO. I'm planning a trip to Italy this fall and I plan on doing a lot of walking, probably about 8-10hrs per day. I've been looking at my current shoe line up and apart from my New Balance trainers and Converse Jack Purcells, the only shoes I feel will allow me to walk that much comfortably are my tan chukkamok with vibram gumlite rubber sole, chili Carson City boots w/ white harrier sole, and probably to a lesser extent the grey Aberdeen with the mini lug sole. 

The problem I have with these shoes are they aren't very versatile either because of their color (grey) and/or design (long wing chukka, thick white rubber sole). I'd like to have a more versatile shoe with a forgiving sole that I can wear with jeans, chinos and cords. Dainite is out since I dont think it has enough give for really long walks (I'll probably be carrying my 2yo son quite a bit too).

I was thinking of either getting a MacNeil or Black Hills in natural CXL with natural welt and red vibram gumlite sole. My current preference is the red gumlite sole, but concerned that it will again limit the pant-shoe combination I can use it with. Also concerned that natural CXL will be too light and that golden brown CXL might be the better option. That said it will be casual show thus it shouldnt matter that much. For background info I will most likely bring the walnut strand, burgundy EC and navy suede grayson too.

Much appreciate any input. Here are the rest of my shoes to provide more background info.

Walnut Strand with V-tread tap soles

Tan Chukkamok
Elgin
Tan suede Amok
Navy Harbour
Navy suede Grayson with JR soles
Grey Aberdeen
BB chili grain MacNeils
Chili Carson City
Burgundy Eagle County with black Dainite
Navy Eagle Country with black Dainite
Tan waxy saddle Eagle County with mini-lug tap soles
Brown CXL Rothsay with mini-lug tap soles
Brogue Suede Grayson with red Dainite (in production)
Chili Grain Lexington with v-tread tap sole (in production)

Having been to Italy a bunch of times unless you are doing limited walking and fashion sense a priority for dinners...forget just going with an AE shoe IMHO...the only shoes from AE that I would even think of wearing for the daily huge walks would be the Traveler or on of AE other ugliesh Euro Styled Shoes. They are super comfy and would work. If I had to go with an AE regular line go with something like a Banchory and fit it with an ortho insole and v tread or one of the rubber soles. The unlined soft leather is super comfy.

Last edited:

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Having been to Italy a bunch of times unless you are doing limited walking and fashion sense a priority for dinners...forget just going with an AE shoe IMHO...the only shoes from AE that I would even think of wearing for the daily huge walks would be the Traveler or on of AE other ugliesh Euro Styled Shoes. They are super comfy and would work. If I had to go with an AE regular line go with something like a Banchory and fit it with an ortho insole and v tread or one of the rubber soles. The unlined soft leather is super comfy.
Thanks Kahuna75 for the input. For the really looong walks, Ill probably wear my white leather jack purcells. But since I shouldn't wear the same shoe on consecutive days, I would like another comfortable walking shoe that hopefully looks nice as well (yes, the voyager is out based on that criteria). I'd like to look reasonably nice when I walk into shops for a bit of shopping.

I agree with the banchory, they use the same leather as the chukkamok and they are indeed buttery soft. I dont think the v-tread tap sole it uses will be the right sole for walking though as its still heavy when compared to rubber soles. Thanks for the idea of going unlined for more comfort.

For the nice dinners, I will probably wear the Strands or EC.

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MacNeil 5!

The MacNeil 5 is a beautiful shoe and I especially like the fact that it's a blucher on the 5 last. However, I'm getting the same bowing on the ankles that I sometimes get with 5 last bals. A natural CXL (regular) MacNeil MTO is starting to call to me . . . .

P.S. Can anyone tell the difference between "cognac" CXL and "golden brown" CXL?

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
speaking of bowing...

some of my 5-last bow at the ankles and some doesn't at all. Is this due to the type of material used?

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
MacNeil 5!

The MacNeil 5 is a beautiful shoe and I especially like the fact that it's a blucher on the 5 last. However, I'm getting the same bowing on the ankles that I sometimes get with 5 last bals. A natural CXL (regular) MacNeil MTO is starting to call to me . . . .

P.S. Can anyone tell the difference between "cognac" CXL and "golden brown" CXL?

Looking great!

OptoDoc

Reaction score
My first MTO finally arrived!

Model: Eagle County
Size: 8E
Upper: Merlot Calf, extra burnishing on the toe
Stitching: Tone on Tone
Lining: Independence
Insole: Independence
Welt: Black, Reverse
Edge Dressing: Black
All eyelits, no speed hooks
Sole: V-Tread Tap Sole

These boots are fantastic. I find myself sitting back and marveling at them from time to time. It's a damn shame they discontinued this boot as I would easily purchase these in a few other colors.

Last edited:

wonsmithr8

Reaction score
MacNeil 5! The MacNeil 5 is a beautiful shoe and I especially like the fact that it's a blucher on the 5 last. However, I'm getting the same bowing on the ankles that I sometimes get with 5 last bals. A natural CXL (regular) MacNeil MTO is starting to call to me . . . . P.S. Can anyone tell the difference between "cognac" CXL and "golden brown" CXL?
Looks lovely half x 3! Makes me more excited for my natty cxl ones!

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These boots are fantastic. I find myself sitting back and marveling at them from time to time. It's a damn shame they discontinued this boot as I would easily purchase these in a few other colors.
they are beautiful

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Model: Eagle County Size: 8E Upper: Merlot Calf, extra burnishing on the toe Stitching: Tone on Tone Lining: Independence Insole: Independence Welt: Black, Reverse Edge Dressing: Black All eyelits, no speed hooks Sole: V-Tread Tap Sole
Wow. So mad I missed out on these. Congrats, Opto.

wonsmithr8

Reaction score

Model: Eagle County Size: 8E Upper: Merlot Calf, extra burnishing on the toe Stitching: Tone on Tone Lining: Independence Insole: Independence Welt: Black, Reverse Edge Dressing: Black All eyelits, no speed hooks Sole: V-Tread Tap Sole These boots are fantastic. I find myself sitting back and marveling at them from time to time. It's a damn shame they discontinued this boot as I would easily purchase these in a few other colors.
1f44c.png

Last edited:

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Holy guacamole!

Last edited:

bgp001

Reaction score
What do you guys think of the Mora 2.0 in Walnut or Merlot? Trying to put together a poorman's Carmina Salinger.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads