• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mdubs

The Mayor of Aldensville
Reaction score

I wonder why navy is relatively rare. Is it simply supply and demand? Not as many customers for that color, so why bother making that much of it?

Yep, exactly. Same with green.

Alden's cigar is one of the few examples of a rare dark cordovan color, but that's only because (per mdubs) Alden artificially constrains their cigar shell supply to make sure they have enough color #8 and black for their normal catalog, which only includes color #8 and black shell.

JSO1 is correct and I believe you are spot on Peppercorn. Crockett & Jones can do a MTO any day in Navy Shell. I believe that it is merely just a supply and demand issue. Plus frankly, Horween can barely keep up with Color 8 production, why spend time and risk on other colors? I don't think Horween actually makes that much more on other colors themselves.

-Mike

Last edited:

tradbrah

Reaction score
Don't want to push any buttons due to the denial over the weekend, but is it still possible to MTO discontinued models? What about retailer exclusive models - the Clifton and 6th Avenue from Nordstrom for example. I think either a 6th Avenue or Sanford in shell would be awesome. Or the 6th Avenue in a casual leather - tan Dublin or Brown CXL - is what I envision.

Just rambling here...

JSO1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Don't want to push any buttons due to the denial over the weekend, but is it still possible to MTO discontinued models? What about retailer exclusive models - the Clifton and 6th Avenue from Nordstrom for example. I think either a 6th Avenue or Sanford in shell would be awesome. Or the 6th Avenue in a casual leather - tan Dublin or Brown CXL - is what I envision.

Just rambling here...

It doesn't hurt to ask. I think if you're willing to pay the SMU fee, they will likely do any makeup you want, provided they have the patterns and such, which for such recent models shouldn't be an issue.

Or you could join the list for the brown shell Rogue instead ;)

Last edited:

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to ask. I think if you're willing to pay the SMU fee, they will likely do any makeup you want, provided they have the patterns and such, which for such recent models shouldn't be an issue.

Or you could join the list for the brown shell Rogue instead
wink.gif

Just dreaming here, but I wonder what we'd need to do to get a green or blue shell rogue... probably wait for the next trunk show. I have a pair of walnut sanfords (which are extremely close to the rogue), and I'd love something similar in shell.

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quote:
A local SA also told me that with the walnut shell they had a lot of customer returns due to inconsistency mainly in the color, or between different panels of the shoe. A shame as that is part of the fun. If you need a perfectly uniform shoe calf is the best route. So I think partly thats been a reason lighter shell hasn't been a stock makeup for a while.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Quote:
A local SA also told me that with the walnut shell they had a lot of customer returns due to inconsistency mainly in the color, or between different panels of the shoe. A shame as that is part of the fun. If you need a perfectly uniform shoe calf is the best route. So I think partly thats been a reason lighter shell hasn't been a stock makeup for a while.
According to an email from Paul a while back, walnut shell was a new color that Hirween came up with specifically for AE. Since it was a new formula for them, there was difficulty reproducing the color accurately on a consistent basis. Natural, on the other hand, is one of Horween's stock colors. It's relative rarity (especially in the quantity AE needs - Rancourt seems to get enough for its scale of production) is, as others have said, due to the scarcity of hides that are pristine enough.

garland

Reaction score

Just rambling here...

Or you could join the list for the brown shell Rogue instead
wink.gif

As far as i know, discontinued styles are not an option for a single SMU. a GMTO may be another story though.... Alison would be the final word on that.

garland

Reaction score
I should add that I will still need to get fitted for the 201.
shog%5B1%5D.gif

It's not that hard to do this you know.... I'll see if we've got anything in your size.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

As far as i know, discontinued styles are not an option for a single SMU. a GMTO may be another story though.... Alison would be the final word on that. 

Have you heard any rumblings regarding any future trunk shows?

PS: just got word that my buffalo wings are sauced and ready to plate! (Errrr, clumsy metaphor for oxblood eagle rivers)

Last edited:

garland

Reaction score
Have you heard any rumblings regarding any future trunk shows?

PS: just got word that my buffalo wings are sauced and ready to plate! (Errrr, clumsy metaphor for oxblood eagle rivers)

I'm just as much in the dark as you.... so no I haven't :)

don't forget the bleu cheese.

garland

Reaction score
Yes, it's mostly a matter of getting down there. ;-)

Oh I know. not always the easiest. Are you 10.5 3E in 5 last shoes?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK2024