• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kahuna75

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In. I like the make-up as specified by WI but am flexible on everything but the lighter welt and lighter edge dressing. These would be for casual use for me and I don't think they'd be that interesting without the contrast. I also like the tan slip bead for the same reason, though I think that contrast will be fairly muted when compared to the welt/sole.
Quote:
I really have no use for this shoe as I have an Alden with the tobacco leather and full lugged sole in the same style(amazingly got them even cheaper than this would be) so I have dark brown covered and I have the snuff Gobi and brogue strand......however if this makeup heads forward with all of the casual aspects in place..Brass/Silver/Copper eyelets - light welt and anything but leather sole then if you hit 11 well count me in to make 12 :)

rostov

Reaction score
If you can live with a light snow style outsole, I am in.

Anyone interested in a Bellevue GMTO while it's still $221?

I'm thinking it would be a poor-man's Dundee without the broguing / pinking, a regular insole, and a reasonable sole. I'm flexible on most details.

• Bellevue
  • No broguing / pinking
  • Standard leather insole
  • Double Butyl leather sole (I'm flexible here...)
  • Golden Brown Chromexcel
  • Chili Split reverse welt

Interested:
  • rostov
  • jzhwinnj (winter-friendly sole)
  • Kahuna75

@jzhwinnj - I'm okay with a mini-lug or dainite as long as we have a leather mid-sole. Is a v-thread out of the question? To clarify, you do NOT want Golden Brown CXL, yes?

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

6 hours in and were at 5. There's hope we can get to 12 before the weekend.
If they'll do it in an AA width (they should, it's a 5-last shoe) I'm in. Not worried about details; my only wish is for a non-leather sole -- got too may leather-soled bluchers already.

fairlynerdy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If they'll do it in an AA width (they should, it's a 5-last shoe) I'm in. Not worried about details; my only wish is for a non-leather sole -- got too may leather-soled bluchers already.

Only need 5 more. More pictures to help move it along.

This shoe

With this suede

And this welt / edge (maybe)

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burgundy shell strands came in the mail today! They're pretty gorgeous. Made an album on imgur: http://imgur.com/a/D8mPS

They're almost perfect, just some minor markings that I think will mostly go away with some polishing. I was a little delicate lacing them up the first time, so the lacing could definitely be tighter.

There's that weird mark around the one eyelet. Not a deal breaker though. I think some polish will mostly fix it.

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think they look awesome, those should really be a stock make up imo. Looks like a totally different color though compared to the normal AE burgundy at least compared to when the polish is all stripped off, much more akin to Aldens color 8 as is.

Couldn't Horween just make a darker burgundy for these companies who insist on overdying the original color?
nest.gif

Not that I don't like the darker, I actually prefer it. But I also like my shell untouched from Horween.

rc121

Reaction score

Interested:
  • rostov
  • jzhwinnj (natural CXL, winterized sole)
  • Kahuna75 (Golden Brown CXL)

@jzhwinnj - I'm okay with a mini-lug or dainite as long as we have a leather mid-sole.  Is a v-thread out of the question? To clarify, you do NOT want Golden Brown CXL, yes?
not sure if some one asked AE and they've changed their minds but they have consistently said they will not remove broguing and pinking

jubu

Reaction score

Burgundy shell strands came in the mail today! They're pretty gorgeous. Made an album on imgur: http://imgur.com/a/D8mPS They're almost perfect, just some minor markings that I think will mostly go away with some polishing. I was a little delicate lacing them up the first time, so the lacing could definitely be tighter. There's that weird mark around the one eyelet. Not a deal breaker though. I think some polish will mostly fix it.
BEYOND jealous! Great pair of shoes!

Last edited:

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those are really nice.

but....

considering how much darker the AE burgundy shell is now (it seems like we can confidently say now that they've changed their finishing to make it darker), I think black welt and edge dressing would probably have looked more appropriate. the brown transparent looked nicer when the #8 color was lighter.

what does everyone else think?

I'm going to ask Allison about it next week when we talk about my poor blighted kenilworths.

Last edited:

tdes81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those are really nice.

but....

considering how much darker the AE burgundy shell is now (it seems like we can confidently say now that they've changed their finishing to make it darker), I think black welt and edge dressing would probably have looked more appropriate. the brown transparent looked nicer when the #8 color was lighter.

I'm going to ask Allison about it next week when we talk about my poor blighted kenilworths.

Actually I think the brown looks better with these than black would. They're dark but I think my photos made them a bit darker than they actually are. I'm really happy with the brown edge dressing and don't think I'd want to change it.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those are really nice.

but....

I like it on those Strands, by no means is it a very light edge. The whole thing reminds me of the Leffot Alden offering with antique edge, which everyone seems to go nuts for. Or the Epaulet Alt Wien and those all look to have lighter edges compared to this Strand.

Though I will agree that the Strand is a much more formal look so I can see your point.

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Just to help folks imagine, badlands on the right using the biitter choc suede on the rightmost shoe
a76778cd2a4af0a1d5fb5f815cb4e922.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm interested, please add me to the list.

Here is something i come up with when playing around with the custom tool based on the Leeds. This is the chocolate suede, with black Danite sole, I couldn't get the welt to be any lighter.

Just so everyone can have an idea

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We currently have 11 interested in the 5 lasted PTB in bitter chocolate suede. Will be 8 or 9 if we swing either the casual look (lighter welt + edge dressing) or the subdued look (darker welt + edge dressing). Any more takers before thanksgiving? Wouldn't hurt to have one more thing to be thankful for (MTO shoes score for 199)

Here is the proposed GMTO specs
Base model: Badlands, 5 lasted PTB
Bitter choc suede
Ok so here's where we are now on the Badlands GMTO ($199)
- bitter chocolate suede
- brass eyelets
- laces: brown or tan/alabaster laces, w/ preference for brown
- slip bead: brown or tan with preference for brown
- Buff split reverse welt (or chili split reverse welt)
- tan ink edge dressing (or medium brown edge dressing if welt is chili)
- currently at vtread tap sole with leather midsole (open to mini lug tap sole with leather midsole or double butyl sole, no to red Dainite)

Bitter suede PTB badlands GMTO
- @watchidiot
- @frankmartin - interested
- @NWTeal - no Dainite. Prefer brown laces and slip bead
- @peppercorn78 - No Dainite. Prefer darker edge trim and slip bead.
- @alexdell
- @fairlynerdy - Only buff welt and lighter edge trim.
- @random-adam - No to leather soles
- @YoungSweet
- @FistofFurySC - prefer vtread tap soles
- @Don L - prefer mini lug with leather midsole. Is a vtread a deal breaker as that appear to be a good middleground for everyone?

Honorary 12th member
- @Kahuna75 - only casual

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen, while the badlands and black hills are on sale for $199, I would like to gauge interest for a suede 5 lasted PTB.

If we get 12 we can have ourselves an MTO suede PTB for 199.
Just to clarify, is this the standard SF AE GMTO policy now or are we assuming Paul will continue w/ this arrangement?

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nexalynhaitank