• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE 2024 ALLEN EDMONDS (AE) APPRECIATION THREAD

Radboots

Reaction score
I haven't had this sort of stitching issue pop up before. What say you shoe brethren; is this a call back to the AE mothership, or a job for just about any relatively competent cobbler?

Details: HM from the first run of whiskey shell in a trunk show. View attachment 2164397

Absolutely AE should be the first call. This should not happen.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Broke out the OG Normandy on this lovely spring day. If I'd known that eventually AE would have released this with less distressing, I probably would have waited to pick up a pair. I like all my footwear to have self-inflicted distressing.

IMG_7788.jpg

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The world is full of HUNDREDS of lasts..
The Landon 2622 last does not fit your foot, so that that indicates it was poorly designed???
That comment is as silly as having a bowel movement and not having toilet paper.

Well, just taking a quick survey around here, the 2622 does not work well for a lot of us. The 1757 seems to work much better for most on here, including me. But, you go to your church, I'll go to mine.

I went with my Badlands today on a last I love (65).

unnamed (1).jpg

Last edited:

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The world is full of HUNDREDS of lasts..
The Landon 2622 last does not fit your foot, so that that indicates it was poorly designed???
That comment is as silly as having a bowel movement and not having toilet paper.
@ProfilaBinding

The only thing worse than a Landon is Michael Landon.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, just taking a quick survey around here, the 2622 does not work well for a lot of us. The 1757 seems to work much better for most on here, including me. But, you go to your church, I'll go to mine.

I went with my Badlands today on a last I love (65).

That’s Complete BS.

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of pairs of Weatherproof™ AEs (including a pair of Landon boots that definitely don't work with my foot and were, fortunately, an inexpensive mistake. Anyone want a pair of the light brown nubuck ones for cheap? PM me!).

But, out of all my Weatherproof™ footwear, I think these brown waxed suede ones are my favorite. They feel like the toughest and most impervious out of all them. Some days, you just kind of need to feel like you could kick anything's backside. Today is one of those days.

IMG_7792.jpg

middlepP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brown shell Townleys today:
CCocCSD.jpg
Love the color on these. I have a pair of cognac strands that have been sunbathing. They are slowly starting to change but shifting more towards burgundy than light brown like your Townleys.

Wearing these Chandlers again today. Like with my natty HM, I wish AE used a welt stitching that was a better match. The white doesn't do it for me.
IMG_6356.jpeg

IMG_6358.jpeg

Lastly, enjoying the 2622 convo. No dog (or horse) in the fight, but curious if AE will bring out any new models on this last - well, any that won't go immediately to clearance.

bluejazzmonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the color on these. I have a pair of cognac strands that have been sunbathing. They are slowly starting to change but shifting more towards burgundy than light brown like your Townleys.

Wearing these Chandlers again today. Like with my natty HM, I wish AE used a welt stitching that was a better match. The white doesn't do it for me.
View attachment 2165161
View attachment 2165159

Lastly, enjoying the 2622 convo. No dog (or horse) in the fight, but curious if AE will bring out any new models on this last - well, any that won't go immediately to clearance.

That is a wonderful color of shell.
The white stitch must have been selected by a man because it looks like complete dog sh#t.
I’ve darkened several of those nasty white AE stitching.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That is a wonderful color of shell.
The white stitch must have been selected by a man because it looks like complete dog sh#t.
I’ve darkened several of those nasty white AE stitching.
Give me white stitches!!!!

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 2165161
View attachment 2165159
Honestly? I think those Chandler chukkas you've got there are stunning. I personally have zero issues with the white stitching on the welt, but that might just be because I have a pair of burgundy shell HMs with a natural welt that also uses white stitching and I'm used to the look.

I've shied away from standard makeups of AE Chandlers because I really loathe the cloth branding tag that appears on the heel of them. Sure, most of the time it would most likely be covered by pant legs, but something about the way it actually juts out doesn't sit right with me. I'm fine with branding on the tongue of some pairs, but that tag irks me on non-sneaker AEs. If I was guaranteed not to get that tag on a shell makeup, I might consider pulling the trigger on a pair, given how much I like the 1757 last. Regardless, your shaved version looks awesome and has a ton of character. Hope you start to lean into your pair and give them a lot more run.

Speaking of 1757 lasted footwear, back at it with Freeport Friday.

IMG_7794.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads