• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE 2024 ALLEN EDMONDS (AE) APPRECIATION THREAD

dpgaloot

Reaction score
I do have a pair of 30+ year old Sorel boots for real winter weather, back when they were made in Canada. These days whenever possible I avoid activities that require such footwear. "Shoveling" snow with my Can Am Outlander and 54" plow can be done in driving mocs.

Newly resoled Navy Hamiltons today.

Hamilton_Navy.jpg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was shoveling about 5 or so inches of snow yesterday and decided to use my pair of Rockies. Decent enough boot and for walking around when snowy or icy it is just fine. If you are actually trudging through the snow, I don't think anything offered by AE is good. Wearing it again today to go into work where it's a good choice with the artic sole.

Once the boot is covered in snow you can feel cold seeping in from the instep and I'm sure water would work its way in as well.

Anything more than a couple of inches I'll stick with my Columbia Bugaboot.

Disagree here. I have walked in 6 inches of snow in the Alpines with no water or cold seepage.

Genericuser1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I do have a pair of 30+ year old Sorel boots for real winter weather, back when they were made in Canada. These days whenever possible I avoid activities that require such footwear. "Shoveling" snow with my Can Am Outlander and 54" plow can be done in driving mocs.

Newly resoled Navy Hamiltons today.

View attachment 2112955
Depending on where I buy in the next couple of years, I may be doing the same.
Disagree here. I have walked in 6 inches of snow in the Alpines with no water or cold seepage.
Mine would be fine for a walk but I was out in it for a couple of hours since I did not prepare and get my snowblower out (packed into a corner of the garage), filled with new gas and tested (it's old) so I had to shovel a large driveway.

It's the same reason I wear wool or down when being out for a moderate amount of time (style and good enough performance) but when you really need protection I go synthetic.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depending on where I buy in the next couple of years, I may be doing the same.

Mine would be fine for a walk but I was out in it for a couple of hours since I did not prepare and get my snowblower out (packed into a corner of the garage), filled with new gas and tested (it's old) so I had to shovel a large driveway.

It's the same reason I wear wool or down when being out for a moderate amount of time (style and good enough performance) but when you really need protection I go synthetic.

Fair, a lot of people are pretty sensitive to cold; however, I am 100% confident they are waterproof, because I have walked a mile in six inches of snow with no problem.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually had completely forgotten about the excitement of waiting for new shoes or boots. My waxy suede Higgins Mills have a tracking number. I noticed they come from Tennessee now. I’m sure it’s been a long time since that’s been happening but it’s new to me. I sure used to be spoiled by how fast purchases would get to me from Port Washington. Hopefully they reach me by Friday. Not too far away.
So I was browsing the AE site and Shoebank a little for old times’ sake. I guess the sku# is what we used to know as the style number? Also what is the sku# for the OG Higgins Mills? I can barely make out the number in my pair. Is it 7562? And can one even purchase those new anymore?

On the topic of footwear for snow removal, I just got a pair of Baffin Yukon boots. So far they are nice. I heard Sorel wasn’t that good anymore and these were supposed to be good. Fingers crossed they last.
IMG_6674.jpeg

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually had completely forgotten about the excitement of waiting for new shoes or boots. My waxy suede Higgins Mills have a tracking number. I noticed they come from Tennessee now. I’m sure it’s been a long time since that’s been happening but it’s new to me. I sure used to be spoiled by how fast purchases would get to me from Port Washington. Hopefully they reach me by Friday. Not too far away.
So I was browsing the AE site and Shoebank a little for old times’ sake. I guess the sku# is what we used to know as the style number? Also what is the sku# for the OG Higgins Mills? I can barely make out the number in my pair. Is it 7562? And can one even purchase those new anymore?

On the topic of footwear for snow removal, I just got a pair of Baffin Yukon boots. So far they are nice. I heard Sorel wasn’t that good anymore and these were supposed to be good. Fingers crossed they last.

I think that Caleras has a large shipping warehouse in TN that a lot of their items ship out from.

St Hubbins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I discovered that there are two waxy suede HM boots. Shows you how much I know. The one available now for full price is 3187 and the one I bought is 2648. Seems like the newer one is a bit darker.

IMG_6685.jpeg

IMG_6686.jpeg

I’m happy to know I got the slightly lighter one. I would not like the darker color as much with denim or in general. So much serendipity. If I’m dying for something that dark, I’ve got the pebble grain First Aves.

I don’t suppose anyone has both styles and could provide a side-by-side?

donkeyhoatie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went with the OG brown CXL Higgins Mill boots today to deal with the massive 1/4" snow that fell last night. Gave these mofos a bit of attention over the weekend with a fairly liberal Saphir Greasy Cream bath. I'd never used it before, as I usually use Bick 4 on CXL (or the occasional VSC treatment).

Gotta admit, I thought it did a nice job of rehydrating my favorite pair of AEs (although the difference wasn't quite as noticeable on some other CXL pairs). They could probably stand another treatment, but this is miles better than it was before.

IMG_7456.jpg

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went with the OG brown CXL Higgins Mill boots today to deal with the massive 1/4" snow that fell last night. Gave these mofos a bit of attention over the weekend with a fairly liberal Saphir Greasy Cream bath. I'd never used it before, as I usually use Bick 4 on CXL (or the occasional VSC treatment).

Gotta admit, I thought it did a nice job of rehydrating my favorite pair of AEs (although the difference wasn't quite as noticeable on some other CXL pairs). They could probably stand another treatment, but this is miles better than it was before.

View attachment 2113343

Have you also used Renovateur on CXL? If so, how would you say it compares?

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Something shady that I've noticed about the website is that shoes are showing as "just a few left" when you put in your size, but that's clearly not the case.

Several months ago, I bought a pair of the burgundy football grain sneakers at full price when I saw this. This was clearly not the case, because they were still around a month or two later for the RDA sale and went down in price by a hundred dollars. Now, many months later, the website is still showing "just a few pairs left" when I bring up the shoe and put in my size.

This is clearly manipulation thought up by the diseased mind of some MBA to trick people into not waiting for a sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads