• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You and I share the same experience. AE is one of the few vendors that sells shoes in wider fits and I can be confident that a pair sized in 8.5 EEE will fit. I have 10 pairs in rotation, all in the same size.

I'd like to explore other brands but since those require me to travel to a store for fittings, it is more challenging to find a good fit.

This is very interesting to me. Very.

I have enough of a sample size to say I've tried AE, Alden, Grant Stone, Quoddy, Rancourt, Red Wing & Whites and beyond a shadow of a doubt in my mind AE is the hardest to predict sizing wise. GS & Alden I can blind buy 6.5D or 7D depending on the last. AE I would normally start with a 7D on a welt or 7.5D on a handsewn but the chances are solid that it won't work on these newer lasts.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can go further. I've posted these before, my brother is a UPS driver. He resoled when they became to slippery on wet concrete.

View attachment 1875014

He did go heavier on his resole.

View attachment 1875017

If those were PA's he'd be in the sh!t with some... 🤣

There were a few comments recently regarding AE's as "fashion" boots when compared to real work boots. I don't disagree at all, but this use case is an interesting middle ground. My brother switched to several pair of AE HMs (one waterproof) after burning through $100 Hi-tec and Columbia hiking boots every 2-3 months for a few years. He says the AE's are significantly more comfortable, and last a lot longer. The dainite lasted 6 months, and the Vibram is lasting a year. His local resoles are about $100, so he is saving money. Given the improved comfort and the cost reduction, he is happy with the switch. And while he works his a$$ off, he doesn't need steel toe or anything like that. The only downside is that the 20-something drivers accuse him of wearing "old man boots".

Certainly not appropriate for construction or heavy equipment. I'm sure not going to be the one to tell him they aren't "work boots".
I’ve got a ways to go before my soles are as worn out as those. I also don’t want to wait until they’re too slippery.
I think that I would like to have a heavier duty sole put on them. I may also have a steel shank added.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden shoes are kind of over priced besides their classics.

Where they shine is as a miusa boot company.

Frankly wouldn't buy their calf or suede, but would buy their cordovan all day.

Imo Alden shines in the boots dept. I'd take anything - calf, she'll, suede etc over AE. Regular shoes are a different story.

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Such a great story. Your brother's HM's and the brown CXL pair from @mreams99 have been my inspiration to beat up my latest pair of HM's. The Dainite really is insanely tough (though lacks in traction).
My brown CXL pair started as natty CXL. They turned brown over time as they were worn a lot.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In many ways, the answer would be "Yes and No." Hear me out. He clearly find AE "boring and ugly" and describes them with his usual list of smells and bodily fluids. Juvenile, but he clearly trashes anything that does not fall into his personal taste. But after the trashing he then correctly points out:

1. The fact that they are so accessible in the USA make it easy for people to get a decent shoe.
2. Don’t forget that they are pretty much the only brand offering widths from A to EEEE.
3. And due to their frequent 50% sales you can buy them for 200-250$ which is not terrible.
4. The main problem with Allen Edmonds is the declining quality but what do you expect for a brand that produces a million shoes a year? (An issue that we repeatedly discuss here on the forum.)

At the end, while still being objective, he states AE "will serve you well."

Is this really what people believe is the biggest problem with AE? A decline in QC?

I'll sort of reiterate what I said before ... Why do I now own a chelsea from GS and an engineer boot from whites? It's because AE's versions aren't worth a damn. Rather than make something good, they put out 50 identity-less trainers, the Lucca remake, the sawyer. AE could have made an awesome engineer boot (NOT the discovery) but they'd rather just jump into every area than excel in a single one.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this really what people believe is the biggest problem with AE? A decline in QC?

I'll sort of reiterate what I said before ... Why do I now own a chelsea from GS and an engineer boot from whites? It's because AE's versions aren't worth a damn. Rather than make something good, they put out 50 identity-less trainers, the Lucca remake, the sawyer. AE could have made an awesome engineer boot (NOT the discovery) but they'd rather just jump into every area than excel in a single one.

I would think that an engineer boot would be a complete waste of development time for AE. Their core audience (dress shoes, dress casual shoes/boots, dress sneakers) wouldn't buy an engineer boot, and those who would have an interest in engineer boots in the first place wouldn't pay $500 for an AE boot when more established brands exist.

I think that the Liverpool Chelsea is a lot more appealing than the GS Chelsea, but the Liverpool is quite expensive these days...

DawgPound

Reaction score
Good morning/afternoon! Navy Landsharks today. The soles on these are so comfortable!

66FA6F84-E023-4193-B158-77E410FC5599.jpeg

smfdoc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The thing that puts me off with him is the personal tastes that he has. He also is in love with shoe shapes that would never work for my feet.

Yeah, me too.

Vincent George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Imo Alden shines in the boots dept. I'd take anything - calf, she'll, suede etc over AE. Regular shoes are a different story.
I tend to agree. With a few outliers—I wear mostly Alden for boots and AE mostly for shoes.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would think that an engineer boot would be a complete waste of development time for AE. Their core audience (dress shoes, dress casual shoes/boots, dress sneakers) wouldn't buy an engineer boot, and those who would have an interest in engineer boots in the first place wouldn't pay $500 for an AE boot when more established brands exist.

I think that the Liverpool Chelsea is a lot more appealing than the GS Chelsea, but the Liverpool is quite expensive these days...

I think we're saying the same thing....it just isn't coming out that way :)

When I'm looking for a new platform, first place I'm going is AE. That's my first go-to for everything.

AE DID develop an engineer boot...it started with the Bowery and evolved into the discovery. They did invest in the development. My point, like you said, is why waste the time & effort with that when their time/effort is best spent elsewhere.

The liverpool is wildly different than the GS - I own one of each and I would never substitute one for the other. I let the original surrey go then got the re-release. I later got the GS because the surrey just wasn't that good and the discovery moved the needle in the wrong direction. But I started with AE.

Neo1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alden plain toes and plain toe boots are the biggest attraction I have towards the brand. AE's biggest attraction for me right now are the interesting casual styles like the Rush Street, Black Hills, Kiowa, Overlord, etc.

Styles like those were literally what got me into AE to begin with.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think we're saying the same thing....it just isn't coming out that way :)

When I'm looking for a new platform, first place I'm going is AE. That's my first go-to for everything.

AE DID develop an engineer boot...it started with the Bowery and evolved into the discovery. They did invest in the development. My point, like you said, is why waste the time & effort with that when their time/effort is best spent elsewhere.

The liverpool is wildly different than the GS - I own one of each and I would never substitute one for the other. I let the original surrey go then got the re-release. I later got the GS because the surrey just wasn't that good and the discovery moved the needle in the wrong direction. But I started with AE.

I guess I wouldn't consider the Bowery or Discovery boots as 'engineer boots', but maybe they are. Kind of like how the Alpine boot might be a monkey boot, but I wouldn't immediately call it that either.

But yeah. The Liverpool is much more of a dress boot than a casual boot like the GS is. I guess, personally, I probably wouldn't reach for a 'casual' Chelsea boot with a toe that round/blunt, not to say that it isn't an amazing boot if you aren't trying to avoid that aesthetic.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah. Their boots are fantastic. AE has nice boots, but Alden has the best.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah. Their boots are fantastic. AE has nice boots, but Alden has the best.

I just wish they made boots on something other than Barrie or TB. I probably need a EEE size on those lasts, and you can't get anything cool in EEE from Alden (imo).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cjm90