• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoenut

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

@CommanderMcBragg Was catching up on the 2022 thread and just wanted to weigh in on the belt discussion. Keep in mind this is coming from my own limited experience, not necessarily from a study of proper menswear.

I find 1 1/4" belts to be strictly formal (as in, suit or sport coat), and I have always disliked skinny belts. 1 1/2" belts are great for casual wear, especially jeans, but have no room alongside dressier attire. 1 3/8" belts are, in my opinion, the perfect width for both formal and casual wear, and my preferred width in a typical scenario. I wear them with jeans, suits, and everything in between.

Of course, there's more to consider when it comes to pairing belts. The leather, pattern, stitching, color, and finish type all contribute to formality level. I think common sense, and using your artistic eye, go a long way. It really does come down to personal preference after all.

While I would err on the side of dressier pants while wearing some of the AE belts you pictured and would not venture to put them with a pair of jeans, it could potentially work well with a pair of chinos, khakis, etc. A belt should fill up most of the vertical height in your belt loops. Most jeans have belt loops that will accommodate 1 1/2" or even 1 3/4" belts, which is one reason why thinner belts look out of place.

Also, your height and waist width also make a difference. Optically, I think larger men can get away with thicker belts and thin guys should tread more carefully going wide.

By the way, the walnut Strand Ave. belt you pictured is the most casual of the three to my eye.
After reading this, I can’t believe how lazy that I am. I use only Shell or Alligator belts these days. I just pick a belt in the general color and go.

manowar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After reading this, I can’t believe how lazy that I am. I use only Shell or Alligator belts these days. I just pick a belt in the general color and go.
That's end game right there. :happy: I'm still too paranoid and detail oriented to paint with such a broad brush.

suuteebird

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy New Year
6259A780-A396-418D-8C89-EC0EF53C423B.jpeg

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean this in a nice way, but all I hope for is that AE surprises me one or two times this year.

I was personally very underwhelmed by the 100 anniversary shoes.

The shell offerings were great in the trunk show, but I ended up not getting my 1st Aves because I had a major unexpected expense....a day before the TS.

Me, when I found out I couldn't get shell 1st Aves:

giphy.gif

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The shell offerings were great in the trunk show, but I ended up not getting my 1st Aves because I had a major unexpected expense....a day before the TS.

Pretty much the same as me. I know a lot of people were underwhelmed, especially with the build up. To give credit where it's due, the trunk show offerings were excellent. Definitely the highlight of the year. Although the QC is an issue (we've already gone into that). I also had a second child coming so I figured it was wiser to sit this one out.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty much the same as me. I know a lot of people were underwhelmed, especially with the build up. To give credit where it's due, the trunk show offerings were excellent. Definitely the highlight of the year. Although the QC is an issue (we've already gone into that). I also had a second child coming so I figured it was wiser to sit this one out.

Yeah, I am never disappointed with the shell trunk shows. They always have something interesting, even if it isn't for me (like the previous years marbled offerings). AE makes fine shell shoes, too, when there aren't the issues so mentioned.

But the 100th anniversary offerings were super weak.

What did we get? A strand in hickory, a MacNeil limited run, and the football grain that is not football grain? Or was the football grain just part of their team shoes again? Admittedly, I still thought the football grain was handsome.

MajorDash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what suede was used for the Liverpool 7532? I can't tell if it is just regular black suede, or if it is a black waxed suede....

EDIT: It is sadly waxed....

Last edited:

pbrandes

Reaction score
But the 100th anniversary offerings were super weak.

What did we get? A strand in hickory, a MacNeil limited run, and the football grain that is not football grain? Or was the football grain just part of their team shoes again? Admittedly, I still thought the football grain was handsome.

The choose-your-colors custom Strandmok/Sneakers spectator deal was quite spectacular IMO—the closest thing to the old MTO we've had in years.

p.s. - Happy New Year, weasels!

EZB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

giphy.gif
You mean fifth street?

audog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

giphy.gif
I must agree with you, 100 anniversary sale was a MEH for me...

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I kept thinking that AE was saving the best for last, and we would get one last special shoe or boot to end the anniversary year with a bang.
It seemed to me that things really fizzled out at the end of the year though.

ProfilaBinding

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The choose-your-colors custom Strandmok/Sneakers spectator deal was quite spectacular IMO—the closest thing to the old MTO we've had in years.

p.s. - Happy New Year, weasels!

Yeah, that almost was a great thing for me. My heart sank when I saw they were only offered in black soles and welts. Nonetheless, I'm glad some of you found something you liked from it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads