1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Technology Climax.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by LabelKing, Jun 25, 2007.

1. Rome

Rome Well-Known Member

When speaking on the strictly consumer side of technology, yes I would have to agree with LK. Inundating proselytization with robust features and useless synergy while prostrating for the lobotomy that surly waits in the wings. It's a race to see how fast one can do nothing.

I was excited about the Iphone coming out until I realized I never asked for one to be made in the first place, why was I excited to begin with?

2. LabelKing

LabelKing Well-Known Member

Perhaps you could manufacture the product a friend of mine and I dreamt up back in high school -- the precision tetrahedron. The concept was to make the most perfectly engineered tetrahedron in existence, which would be offered in various high-purity precious materials such as gold and platinum. A special xenon-filled chamber for display would be offered as an option.

I was actually pondering manufacturing a wasp-killing pistol.

3. LabelKing

You can't improve on this:

[​IMG]

4. Augusto86

Augusto86 Well-Known Member

69! Nice time , fewer drugs to learn! Ah well, that apart, medical technology has made immense strides in terms of modern medical therapy. I mean like, baloon angioplasty, newer drugs for cancer, medical imagin technologies etc.

Im not learned enough to comment on other technologies but med science sure has progressed a long way since then

Peace be

Quick question - is balloon angioplasty the same thing as a stent?

5. Tokyo Slim

Tokyo Slim Well-Known Member

You can't improve on this: [​IMG]
    I could impove on it. It could be cordless and dimmable.

6. montecristo#4

montecristo#4 Well-Known Member

It could be made of post-consumer recycled renewables!

7. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red Well-Known Member

I keep waiting for cordless electricity.

8. Tokyo Slim

I keep waiting for cordless electricity.

I have two words for you buddy... Tesla Effect

9. Brian SD

Brian SD Well-Known Member

Good, yes, true

I'm quite sure you have no idea what you're talking about.

Because one of the most common sentiments of a maturing person is the fallacy that everything used to be made better than whatever it is we're making today. Sell the fools what they want. Give me my Nikon DSLR, which with a mediocre shot and 5 minutes in photoshop could give you an indistinguishable replica of what your vintage Rolleiflex and Leica collection can do (though I'm not sure why I'd bother, I'd rather pursue my own photographic interests).

While you seem convinced that you have an objective basis for your argument, I can assure you that for all intents and purposes, a fresh-off-the-assembly-line Scion is safer, more efficient and more reliable than any MB or Porsche from the 60s or 70s. They may not garner the same affection, but from any practical perspective, "superior" would be a more fitting word, not "inferior."

As an aside:
    Dkzzz, you suck, BLOW UP is a great movie. You totally missed the point if all you could concentrate on is how they wore skinny ties, slim jeans and fitted jackets.

10. fareau

fareau Well-Known Member

Quick question - is balloon angioplasty the same thing as a stent?

They are not synonymous. As the name implies, balloon angioplasty uses an inflatable device that, while deflated, is threaded into an obstructed blood vessel. The device is then inflated, dilating and (hopefully) relieving the obstruction. In the past, that was the only intervention possible during a cardiac catheterization. Then stents were developed. These are expandable tubular supports that, when collapsed, could be insterted into the obstructed blood vessel. After the balloon angioplasty, the collapsed stent could be deployed (expanded) at the site of the previous obstruction, so as to maintain patency. Current stents are "drug eluting", which means that they are impregnated with drugs that prevent reaccumulation of the atherosclerotic plaques that contributed to the original obstruction.

11. Nantucket Red

I have two words for you buddy... Tesla Effect

So why hasn't it been commercialized? I want a wireless computer and sound system.

12. Bergdorf Goodwill

Bergdorf Goodwill Well-Known Member

13. Tokyo Slim

So why hasn't it been commercialized? I want a wireless computer and sound system.
    Because everyone thought Tesla was crazy. And hippies keep trying to convince people that electrical current waves gives people brain and nut tumors.

14. Nantucket Red

Because everyone thought Tesla was crazy.

Even if he was crazy, that doesn't mean he was stupid.

15. Tokyo Slim

Even if he was crazy, that doesn't mean he was stupid.

Well the ultimate rule of genius is that the next smartest guy down the IQ chart has to tell everyone what a genius you are. Otherwise everyone else just thinks you are a lunatic.

Unfortunately for Tesla, the next smartest guy down the IQ chart was Thomas Edison, who basically chose to bury Tesla instead.

16. LabelKing

Because one of the most common sentiments of a maturing person is the fallacy that everything used to be made better than whatever it is we're making today. Sell the fools what they want. Give me my Nikon DSLR, which with a mediocre shot and 5 minutes in photoshop could give you an indistinguishable replica of what your vintage Rolleiflex and Leica collection can do (though I'm not sure why I'd bother, I'd rather pursue my own photographic interests). While you seem convinced that you have an objective basis for your argument, I can assure you that for all intents and purposes, a fresh-off-the-assembly-line Scion is safer, more efficient and more reliable than any MB or Porsche from the 60s or 70s. They may not garner the same affection, but from any practical perspective, "superior" would be a more fitting word, not "inferior."
    Considering that the lens quality of those old Leicas and Rolleiflexes surpass the majority of what is made in production today, I'd say there is an inherent advantage as compared to the Photoshopped DSLR photos. I don't know what most of the stuff featured within a fancy DSLR camera is for, but I can bet most of it can be achieved by a few burning and dodging tricks in the darkroom and some adept usage of graded papers, or filters whichever you prefer. Limit what a person uses, and quality can be achieved. That is the exact problem with people these days; they believe they can achieve anything with a minimum of effort--and the effort is not made by the people even, but by their technology. Of course, a fresh off of the assembly line car is going to be more reliable than any 40 year old car. However, that does not mitigate its inherent lack of quality and over-dosage of superfluous features.

17. Nantucket Red

18. Tokyo Slim

I don't know what most of the stuff featured within a fancy DSLR camera is for, but I can bet most of it can be achieved by a few burning and dodging tricks in the darkroom and some adept usage of graded papers, or filters whichever you prefer.
    What the hell are you talking about, do you even know? "Most of the stuff featured within a fancy DSLR" is for taking light and making it into an image. Same as any other camera.

19. LabelKing

What the hell are you talking about, do you even know? "Most of the stuff featured within a fancy DSLR" is for taking light and making it into an image. Same as any other camera.
    I'm saying that this "perfect Photoshop image" that he is talking about could be achieved with a few simple tricks in the darkroom such as burning and dodging and graded photographic papers; or if you don't like using graded papers, graded filters. Have you done the traditional process? If a DSLR is such a simple camera for the singular purpose of taking an image, then why are there so many functions? What about things like image stabilization? You can do that with film too. It's called masking.

20. Tokyo Slim

I'm saying that this "perfect Photoshop image" that he is talking about could be achieved with a few simple tricks in the darkroom such as burning and dodging and graded photographic papers; or if you don't like using graded papers, graded filters.

I think you missed his point entirely.

Yes, and honestly I found it inferior to digital editing on one very crucial way. You can't see what your change looks like, decide you don't like it and go backwards. Everything you can do in a darkroom, you can do and undo in photoshop.

What functions specifically are you talking about in a DSLR that you think cheapen it that aren't in film cameras? Optical Image Stabilization has been around quite a bit longer than DSLR's have. Most of the other "functions" are straight analogs of almost any other camera, aperture, ISO sensitivity, shutter speed, etc.