• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Technology Climax.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Why did I say water-cooled; I meant air-cooled.

In that case, no one needs it. Air-cooled car engines belong with the dinosaurs.

Why not a Chevy small block V8 instead? That thing's been around forever, and is an absolutely amazing engine: compact, powerful, efficient, simple. The latest version can be found in Corvettes, but it started out as a truck engine.

--Andre

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Andre Yew
In that case, no one needs it. Air-cooled car engines belong with the dinosaurs.

Why not a Chevy small block V8 instead? That thing's been around forever, and is an absolutely amazing engine: compact, powerful, efficient, simple. The latest version can be found in Corvettes, but it started out as a truck engine.

--Andre

When the big motor corporations make a car with a lot of power, oftentimes they turn to the truck division to handle that power (I'm reminded of the current S65 AMG and it's use of the insanely old MB 5-Speed automatic gearbox (used in some of its trucks), which is the only the that can handle 738 lb-ft of torque).

Jon.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jett
That would be incredibly weird if true. Why should it matter whether you read from a book or from a screen?

Originally Posted by GQgeek
I could sorta believe that. I've read bits of fiction online and I just don't feel immersed in the same way I do when I'm curled-up on the couch or in bed reading an actual book.

I apologize. I thought it was about reading on a computer but it was the difference between watching television and reading a book (although computers are supposedly bad for your eyes).

Click on "page 186" and this will explain what I was thinking about... It talks about how the visual cortex works...

Unfortunately, I can't get the link to work (it works when I preview it but when I post it, it doesn't go to the appropriate place). If you search this book for "visual cortex" and then click on "page 186" it will describe how the process works.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
I don't think they were as tolerant of men wearing pink glasses and plaid shoes back then.
bounce2.gif

The '60s was probably more tolerant of out-there clothing than today.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
When the big motor corporations make a car with a lot of power, oftentimes they turn to the truck division to handle that power (I'm reminded of the current S65 AMG and it's use of the insanely old MB 5-Speed automatic gearbox (used in some of its trucks), which is the only the that can handle 738 lb-ft of torque).

Jon.

I think the Mercedes-Benz automatic speedbox was a '30s Chrysler designer when they first used it in the '60s.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LK, based on the thread title I was hoping you had discovered some great advance in teledildonics out of Japan.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
If such a thing was to be discovered... it would be by me... and I wouldn't tell anyone ...

dkzzzz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
I know this guy who collects turntables. His main source is Goodwill. He probably has about 1,000 of them, and tens of thousands of vinyl records. His wish is to get someone to sit down for three minutes to listen to one of his records.

He is on to something. I think Vinyl will come back just like all things analog. Digital is crap.

BTW I watched yesterday a horrible film by Antonioni called "Blow Up". The clothes in that movie were exactly what fashionistas wear today. Slim trousers, skinny ties, 2-button fitted blazers, cut-away shirts, chelsea boots. The film is made in 1966 . I never realised that we repeating the 60s minus the personal freedom and sex.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
I thought it was about reading on a computer but it was the difference between watching television and reading a book (although computers are supposedly bad for your eyes).

Computer screens are also much lower resolution than paper. Monitors are typically 72 DPI, while even the cheapest inkjet or laser printer will do at least 300 DPI. You'd need at least 4 very large monitors to match a piece of paper.

Computers are also hampered by their own unique set of baggage. For example, many people use PowerPoint for presentations which significantly reduces available resolution with its various decorations and flair, and its inherent bias towards sales pitching.

--Andre

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
When speaking on the strictly consumer side of technology, yes I would have to agree with LK. Inundating proselytization with robust features and useless synergy while prostrating for the lobotomy that surly waits in the wings. It's a race to see how fast one can do nothing.

I was excited about the Iphone coming out until I realized I never asked for one to be made in the first place, why was I excited to begin with?

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nantucket Red
Perhaps you could manufacture the product a friend of mine and I dreamt up back in high school -- the precision tetrahedron. The concept was to make the most perfectly engineered tetrahedron in existence, which would be offered in various high-purity precious materials such as gold and platinum. A special xenon-filled chamber for display would be offered as an option.

I was actually pondering manufacturing a wasp-killing pistol.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Originally Posted by G79
69! Nice time , fewer drugs to learn! Ah well, that apart, medical technology has made immense strides in terms of modern medical therapy. I mean like, baloon angioplasty, newer drugs for cancer, medical imagin technologies etc.

Im not learned enough to comment on other technologies but med science sure has progressed a long way since then

Peace be

Quick question - is balloon angioplasty the same thing as a stent?

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
You can't improve on this:
pu_WN387-002-a.jpg

I could impove on it. It could be cordless and dimmable.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads