• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Technology Climax.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drake
I have mixed feelings on this as a Engineer. On one hand I am really passionate about creating technology but at the same time I don't really like using most of it. For example I don't own a cell phone, I think classrooms should only have chalk and chalkboard, and calculators really rot our mind.

On the other hand I love the fact that my car thinks two steps ahead of me to ensure that even if I do something stupid I will walk away with all my limbs.

It's a love-hate relationship at the end of the day I suppose. I love creating and playing with it but I just don't know if it makes peoples lives better... I know I am happiest in very low-tech environments.

rolleiflex_konstruktionsbuero.jpg

montaje%20objetivos%20copia.jpg

Gradstudent78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drake
I have mixed feelings on this as a Engineer. On one hand I am really passionate about creating technology but at the same time I don't really like using most of it. For example I don't own a cell phone, I think classrooms should only have chalk and chalkboard, and calculators really rot our mind.

As far as chalk and chalkboards I definately find the white board an improvement on this as I hate chalk dust, I also enjoy powerpoint a great deal for presentations, much cleaner and efficient then the old overhead projectors we use to have to use.

Computers have pretty much revolutionized the ability of people do to literature reviews for research and streamlined the ability to publish papers.

However that being said, I absolutely hate reading articles or books online, I'd much rather be reading a paper copy of anything that is of considerable length.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
Cavemen?
DSCN7279.jpg
One of my dreams has always been to open a factory manufacturing impossibly high-quality and idiosyncratic items and then become bankrupt all the while eschewing the press and cultivating a presence of mystique.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
One of my dreams has always been to open a factory manufacturing impossibly high-quality and idiosyncratic items and then become bankrupt all the while eschewing the press and cultivating a presence of mystique.

Perhaps you could manufacture the product a friend of mine and I dreamt up back in high school -- the precision tetrahedron. The concept was to make the most perfectly engineered tetrahedron in existence, which would be offered in various high-purity precious materials such as gold and platinum. A special xenon-filled chamber for display would be offered as an option.

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know this guy who collects turntables. His main source is Goodwill. He probably has about 1,000 of them, and tens of thousands of vinyl records. His wish is to get someone to sit down for three minutes to listen to one of his records.

Nantucket Red

"Mr. Fashionista"
Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
I know this guy who collects turntables. His main source is Goodwill. He probably has about 1,000 of them, and tens of thousands of vinyl records. His wish is to get someone to sit down for three minutes to listen to one of his records.

He should branch out into 8-tracks. Imagine the possibilities!

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gradstudent78

However that being said, I absolutely hate reading articles or books online, I'd much rather be reading a paper copy of anything that is of considerable length.

There is actually a difference (mentally) between reading online and reading an actual book. Reading a book triggers certain parts of the brain (imagination / visualization?) which is not activated when reading from a computer screen.

jett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13
There is actually a difference (mentally) between reading online and reading an actual book. Reading a book triggers certain parts of the brain (imagination / visualization?) which is not activated when reading from a computer screen.

That would be incredibly weird if true. Why should it matter whether you read from a book or from a screen?

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I, for one, would not mind living circa 1969.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
I, for one, would not mind living circa 1969.

I don't think they were as tolerant of men wearing pink glasses and plaid shoes back then.
bounce2.gif

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tck13

I could sorta believe that. I've read bits of fiction online and I just don't feel immersed in the same way I do when I'm curled-up on the couch or in bed reading an actual book.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wasn't aware that LK had a sense of humor.

Technology Climax, in term of what tickles his fancy?

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
I don't use a desktop; I use a controversial Apple Powerbook.

I'm sure medical technology has exceeded what was existent in 1969, but still I wouldn't mind living circa 1969.

Which brings his point home; and by home I don't mean to the front door, I mean he is inside the bathroom taking a ****, reading the Sunday Times.

Jon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads