• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1) equities are not Pokémon
2) a dividend portfolio with no EPD or Ares? D'allors!

Thank you! I just picked up some EPD but in looking at Ares... the price to economic book value ratio doesn't look good and their free cash flow yield is not that good either and most importantly their return on invested capital is really ugly. Economic book value is weak but I'm liking EPD so thank you for that! :)

Well I do seem to collect stocks like Pokémon but I just want to make sure I have some individual representation in all of the eleven sectors.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! I just picked up some EPD but in looking at Ares... the price to economic book value ratio doesn't look good and their free cash flow yield is not that good either and most importantly their return on invested capital is really ugly. Economic book value is weak but I'm liking EPD so thank you for that! :)

Well I do seem to collect stocks like Pokémon but I just want to make sure I have some individual representation in all of the eleven sectors.

Nothing i say constitutes advice. I am not a financial planner.

I am only certified in snobbery.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new 401k max and added company matches put us very close to having all of our retirement savings in pre-tax accounts next year. Other way to look at this is that I am a small timer.

Also started pushing savings back into Marcus since the rate is now 3.3% for online savings. For a while I was annoyed the app keeps forgetting my FaceID so I stopped logging in to car about an extra %.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The new 401k max and added company matches put us very close to having all of our retirement savings in pre-tax accounts next year. Other way to look at this is that I am a small timer.

Also started pushing savings back into Marcus since the rate is now 3.3% for online savings. For a while I was annoyed the app keeps forgetting my FaceID so I stopped logging in to car about an extra %.
Why not mix in some post tax/Roth?

ellsbebc

Reaction score
A new wrinkle to Roth 401k with the new omnibus bill just passed by Senate. Historically, all employer contribution match had to be non-Roth, regardless of employee contribution type.

Section 604: Employer Matching can be Roth or Pre-Tax
The bill will allow employers to let participants in 401(k), 403(b), and governmental 457(b) plans to get matching contributions on a Roth basis. It doesn't require plans to offer this but creates it as an option.

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I think that new Bill might require people over 50 making so-called "catch-up" contributions to Roth them. I do not like that situation.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
For me the main issue is the math. A person would get the most theoretical benefit the longer they have that post-tax money invested. They've literally stacked the deck against the "catch up" portion now.

brokencycle

Reaction score
For me the main issue is the math. A person would get the most theoretical benefit the longer they have that post-tax money invested. They've literally stacked the deck against the "catch up" portion now.

You don't have to do the Roth for catch-up though. They've also delayed mandatory withdrawal age.

It doesn't seem like there is that much benefit for old people to be doing Roth, but at least if you do the max, give reduced your income do that Roth contribution might be from a lower marginal bracket.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
it depends really - if you can play the tax brackets properly, you might be able to find a sweet spot in which roth now saves money. (or, if one partner makes no money or significantly less money in certain years, you can roth those years)

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
You don't have to do the Roth for catch-up though. They've also delayed mandatory withdrawal age.

It doesn't seem like there is that much benefit for old people to be doing Roth, but at least if you do the max, give reduced your income do that Roth contribution might be from a lower marginal bracket.

You don't? I read it was going to be mandatory.

ellsbebc

Reaction score
@Piobaire is correct based on what I’ve read. If earning > $145k/year, any 401k catch-up contribution must be Roth. Not sure if that applies per individual or avg per household. For example, if one spouse earns $130k and the other $500k, is the former able to make trad 401k catch-up contribution?

I’m a youngin’ so haven’t closely read up on that provision since the law will likely change before I reach that age.

edit: after reading again, appears the $145k threshold is per individual — Section 603. The above hypothetical would allow the $130k earner to make trad 401k catch-up contributions while the $500k earner must be Roth.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads