• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oof. That report sure looked like a recession indicator.

View attachment 1833009

Anyone up for a lost decade?

Lost decade is exactly what I think is coming. I'm 36 so I'll just invest and wait, but I feel and for people retiring now. My dad just retired this year, and he's def thinking of un retiring.

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Following up on that, I have a friend who doesn't really work, just invests. He has done exceedingly well last few years, including being up something like 30% this year.
Very much a bear, and I think too bearish in general, but has some asymetric plays that have worked out well for him. Following some of his advice has kept my way better than the market this year (though still at a loss).

He said something last week on our group discord that I very much jive with. The paraphrase being something like:

"I think the next decade's path to wealth for our generation won't be the market. It will be buying small businesses from boomers or starting ones in holes left by closed down ones.
Market has been easy money for too long, people didn't want to deal with doing actual work or building actual companies.
If people want to get rich they might have to do work again."

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who else is excited for the Porsche IPO?!

This will be the triumph of unbridled fanboyism over corporate governance, macroeconomic, and shareholding voting rights red flags, amirite!!
I'm hoping Porsche will succumb to shareholder pressure and start producing a bunch more GT3's and GT4's.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He said something last week on our group discord that I very much jive with. The paraphrase being something like:

"I think the next decade's path to wealth for our generation won't be the market. It will be buying small businesses from boomers or starting ones in holes left by closed down ones.
Market has been easy money for too long, people didn't want to deal with doing actual work or building actual companies.
I can't wait to invest in those businesses!

ValidusLA

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When does this flow through into lower RE prices? I keep losing to bidders over asking waiving all contingencies… still

A lot of markets are dropping already. Depending where you are might be slower (if at all).

Metro CA seems to be sticky. Partly because our property tax structure incentivizes people to hold onto homes, so people are more stubborn about their selling prices.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

Pretty sure Jason Robards gave a speech just like that to Buddy in Wall St.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

brokencycle

Reaction score
Why is it nonsense? Rate increases so far haven't increased unemployment and labor force participation is going up as boomers have been unretiring.

Omega Male

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why is it nonsense? Rate increases so far haven't increased unemployment and labor force participation is going up as boomers have been unretiring.
Because there has never been a previous instance where increasing rates by the amount the Fed is projecting has not led to a far larger rise in unemployment than the Fed is also projecting? This time may be different for some specific reason or other but that's a pretty big assumption to make. Also remember there is a considerable lag between the policy action and the effect on the real economy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads