• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

saw that too. Bought some more when it was down. Wasn't fast enough to catch it under 19 (gf was chatting to me on the phone lol) so instead of high 18's got it at around 19.5. Just averaging down on this position.

Also bought some more COS under $10.

Still staking out SCTY and TSLA if they go low enough, will add some more.
Lumber Liquidaters (LL) made a nice big jump back up. Hey it's nearly where I bought it oy. Long term I don't think these guys will get over what just happened, true or not. I saw it go from 60 to 50 to 40 (where I bought) to 30, now back up to 37... if it ever makes it close to 50 I'm out, maybe even sooner. I like volatility but this one might just crash and burn.

I'm hearing quite a few things about Clorox (CLX), at least a few opinions are suggesting they're going to do well.
Also Under Armour (UA) has some good rumors for mid-long growth potential. I don't like buying when it's so high just on principle, but I'm keeping an eye on this one.
Oh and lastly, Disney (DIS) also has some good vibes around it...

OMG holy **** incredible.... went from -20% to up 15% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+3.21 (14.47%)

I've never seen a turnaround like this in my entire life. Wow.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
haaa, this is crazy stuff.

So I originally bought in at about 22.4, today just doubled down at 19.5ish, and seeing it at 24.5 just say screw it and sold everything. Knowing when to take the money and run.

I'll wait until it comes back down to 18-19 and buy back in. Originally was hoping to wait it out until 30 and 35 but hey, whatever I'm happy with that little gain!

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

haaa, this is crazy stuff.

So I originally bought in at about 22.4, today just doubled down at 19.5ish, and seeing it at 24.5 just say screw it and sold everything. Knowing when to take the money and run.

I'll wait until it comes back down to 18-19 and buy back in. Originally was hoping to wait it out until 30 and 35 but hey, whatever I'm happy with that little gain!

Good move. It gave up some gains after hours.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
hire slowly fire quickly.

I buy in chunks all the way down and then sell it all off when it comes back up. that's my strategy anyway.

re: EPZM, sure longer term like the past 1-3 years they've gone way higher than this, but most the past few months has bounced between 18/19 and 23/24, so IMO I sold now and if it keeps going up to 30, 35, fine, my 'lost gains', but I'm happy with making a little scratch and will keep an eye on it and assume it'll come back down within even a few weeks. If not, hey I've had my fun and will tuck it into the pocket for later along with guys like Lauder and HHC etc.

OZM still doing nicely, whoever recommended that one, good call!

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

hire slowly fire quickly.

I buy in chunks all the way down and then sell it all off when it comes back up. that's my strategy anyway.

re: EPZM, sure longer term like the past 1-3 years they've gone way higher than this, but most the past few months has bounced between 18/19 and 23/24, so IMO I sold now and if it keeps going up to 30, 35, fine, my 'lost gains', but I'm happy with making a little scratch and will keep an eye on it and assume it'll come back down within even a few weeks. If not, hey I've had my fun and will tuck it into the pocket for later along with guys like Lauder and HHC etc.

OZM still doing nicely, whoever recommended that one, good call!

EDIT:

EPZM was a data blip, it's price is now it's closing price.

brokencycle

Reaction score
I'm rolling over my 401k from a former employer to an IRA and looking for some fund advice. I'm going to go with Vanguard. My current 401k, which I invest 10% of my income in, is at Fidelity and is mixed between their large-cap (80%) and mid-cap (20%) index funds. I also have a Roth IRA that is primarily invested in precious metals and minerals (and that I continue to purchase).

Is there a preference for ETF vs. mutual funds? I am rolling over enough to get Admiral shares.

My investment time frame is 35+ years. I was looking to do about 10% bonds and looking at a long-term (BLV). I was thinking about doing some more industry specific such as REIT or health care specific (20%), then 50% in US stocks (eg. VVIAX or VIGAX), then 20% international (VEA).

Thoughts?

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I'm rolling over my 401k from a former employer to an IRA and looking for some fund advice. I'm going to go with Vanguard. My current 401k, which I invest 10% of my income in, is at Fidelity and is mixed between their large-cap (80%) and mid-cap (20%) index funds. I also have a Roth IRA that is primarily invested in precious metals and minerals (and that I continue to purchase).

Is there a preference for ETF vs. mutual funds? I am rolling over enough to get Admiral shares.

My investment time frame is 35+ years. I was looking to do about 10% bonds and looking at a long-term (BLV). I was thinking about doing some more industry specific such as REIT or health care specific (20%), then 50% in US stocks (eg. VVIAX or VIGAX), then 20% international (VEA).

Thoughts?

Mutual funds are to tape players what ETFs are to CDs. Not all ETFs are tailored to long term trading, though. Stuff based on volatility or that rebalances too often is a bad idea. http://etfdb.com/etfdb-category/volatility/

Who are you opening an account with?

Last edited:

brokencycle

Reaction score

Mutual funds are to tape players what ETFs are to CDs. Not all ETFs are tailored to long term trading, though. Stuff based on volatility or that rebalances too often is a bad idea. http://etfdb.com/etfdb-category/volatility/

Who are you opening an account with?

Vanguard.

I'm willing to re-balance my portfolio or move to different funds over time, but I don't want to betting on individual stocks quite yet.

Last edited:

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am a mutual fund with Vanguard guy and the only issue I have found is getting in and out of certain funds quickly. What I mean is I purchased some more into bonds early in the month and tried to rebalance and something came up to where I couldn't sell due to fund timing issues. Wasn't a big deal but was once hiccup.

I am 10% REITs in my retirement and can't really comment on healthcare due to my current position and possible personal bias.

Otherwise your investment strategy sounds good to me.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

The big advantages of ETFs are that you can trade them intra-day, the fund sponsor can't prevent you from buying for the short term (as Vanguard will do if you're a threat to park many millions in their index funds), and you're unlikely to get hit with realized gain distributions if everyone else liquidates their shares. None of which seem relevant to your situation.

Indexed mutual funds will often have lower expenses than ETFs. You also don't have transaction cost (commissions, bid/ask) going in and out of a fund. Perhaps most importantly, because funds can't be shorted as ETFs can, there's less potential for operational mischief should we face another 2008/09. None of which may hit an ETF sponsor as big as Vanguard, but there is still a lot we don't know about that.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Vanguard.

I'm willing to re-balance my portfolio or move to different funds over time, but I don't want to betting on individual stocks quite yet.

Interactive Brokers. You can get everything vanguard has, and save on fees for everything they don't.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The big advantages of ETFs are that you can trade them intra-day

Indexed mutual funds will often have lower expenses than ETFs.

This. You cant get out without the overnight bullshit. Also, many brokerages charge up to $45 for a mutual fund transaction, a massive fee.

Some funds do, but there are hidden costs. Vanguard is pretty good about being transparent, though.

Last edited:

hye

Reaction score

Oh and lastly, Disney (DIS) also has some good vibes around it...

Yeah I'm up over 29% on that one so far...

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bought some more RDS.A this morning.

Landscape

Reaction score
Indexed mutual funds will often have lower expenses than ETFs. You also don't have transaction cost (commissions, bid/ask) going in and out of a fund. Perhaps most importantly, because funds can't be shorted as ETFs can, there's less potential for operational mischief should we face another 2008/09. None of which may hit an ETF sponsor as big as Vanguard, but there is still a lot we don't know about that.
I'm not sure if I'm mixing up the terminology, but aren't a lot of ETFs tracking an index (and what people refer to as index funds)? The problem where I live is, that ETFs are taxed as capital income. I can also buy a mutual fund following an index (and isn't that an indexed mutual fund?) but the TER is around 0,85 %, which seems pretty high compared to ETFs. The mutual funds following an index I'm looking at also have a transaction cost of 1,5%, but maybe it just sucks to live here?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads