• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Pro tip: people looking for hot stock tips on the internet should be in mutual funds.
:)
Or as Buffett likes to say, if you don't know who the patsy at the card table is, it's probably you.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ETFs often have higher expense ratios than their equivalent indexed mutual funds, as well as presenting trading costs to enter and exit. You also run the risk that their derivative exposure or a short-seller's action could cause it to blow up. Not a big risk, necessarily, but if you're not needing hourly liquidity and you have time to get organized, you're usually better off in a fund.

One way to get around the trading costs is through Schwab's ETF OneSource
2122.png
-- where you will not incur any commissions to buy or sell over a hundred different ETFs (in your online Schwab account). In my Schwab account I have SCHB, SCHD, SCHF, SCHE and a little JPP. As an example, SCHB is of course commission-free and has an expense ratio of only .04%, giving you a cheap, easy way to own Apple, Exxon, Microsoft, Johnson & Johnson, General Electric, Wells Fargo, Chevron, Berkshire Hathaway, Procter & Gamble and JP Morgan Chase -- its top 10 holdings -- as well as 2,000 more of the largest U.S. Stocks (most of which you've probably heard of).

Personally, for a nice, solid core portfolio - no bells and whistles - I'd recommend that you put 45% into SCHB, 35% into SCHF, and 10% each into SCHD and SCHE. If you're closer to retirement and want some exposure to bonds, take 5% out of SCHF and put that 5% into SCHZ. Your'e welcome.

Schwab's ETF OneSource
2122.png
list changes from time to time, but here's what's available today:

(a little something for everybody!)

Last edited:

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was thinking of bid/ask spread which people forget but is usually a much bigger problem than commissions.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was thinking of bid/ask spread which people forget but is usually a much bigger problem than commissions.

Good point - people too often neglect the importance of timely executions.

Did some buying and selling today in my play account - unloaded $WHR, $FLR and $EOG, picked up some $NE, $ESV and $CTSH.

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Except in a boldly up market, I will usually just put my orders in with an execution price. I'm not trading daily, so I don't mind waiting for the purchase to go through.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been holding all my **** lately. I sold TSLA, but that's it.

Unrelated, so its a long story but I'm curious about what funds you guys are recommending. I am a fan of Vanguard already, so anything outside of that. I'm providing input on a new 401k setup for a small business. Within this plan there is a fair amount of freedom to trade anything, even ETF's.

What funds are you guys sitting on? (if you mention a name, can you give me a sense of how risky you think it is? Also, I am particularly sensitive to fees)

Lastly, I mentioned ETF's, any rationale + or - towards their use in a 401k. As an example, I was thinking of GLD as a component.

Last edited:

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been holding all my **** lately. I sold TSLA, but that's it.

Unrelated, so its a long story but I'm curious about what funds you guys are recommending. I am a fan of Vanguard already, so anything outside of that. I'm providing input on a new 401k setup for a small business. Within this plan there is a fair amount of freedom to trade anything, even ETF's.

What funds are you guys sitting on? (if you mention a name, can you give me a sense of how risky you think it is? Also, I am particularly sensitive to fees)

Lastly, I mentioned ETF's, any rationale + or - towards their use in a 401k. As an example, I was thinking of GLD as a component.

Well fwiw I've done well holding these three funds... you might wanna research them to see how they fit in with your risk/reward level.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Well fwiw I've done well holding these three funds... you might wanna research them to see how they fit in with your risk/reward level.

Thanks, dude.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
I've fallen out of the habit of reading Andrew Tobias's column, but I know he was following and wrote some thoughts about GLD on a couple of occasions. I'm sure you can search for those pieces on his website if they'd be of any interest.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm finally at breakeven with my AAPL position from two years ago!!!

At its lowest, I was down ~30% and worried that it'd never recover. I guess patience pays off! :slayer:

I had been telling myself that I was going to dump AAPL the moment I got to breakeven just because I was so disgusted with how the street and market treated the stock. I think I'll hold onto it for longer :embar:.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Haha I actually had sell order at $575 but cancelled it thankfully

eBay on the other hand I need to sell though not sure if now is right time

RedLeg

Reaction score
I'm finally at breakeven with my AAPL position from two years ago!!!

At its lowest, I was down ~30% and worried that it'd never recover. I guess patience pays off!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

I had been telling myself that I was going to dump AAPL the moment I got to breakeven just because I was so disgusted with how the street and market treated the stock. I think I'll hold onto it for longer
shog[1].gif
I'll probably cut my stake in half here soon, but I was fortunate to get in when it was in the low 400's. Told myself I was going to dump it all post split, but the heavy call option volume has made me inclined to hold it for a bit. Don't forget the ~3% dividend you've been getting.

I picked up JPM, ZU & DSW about a week ago

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads