• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailors (and fellow SF'ers) in Adelaide, Australia

m_wave

Reaction score
With the recent success of the Tailors in Melbourne thread I thought I'd try my luck with one of the smaller Australian cities.. Adelaide

I've had terrible trouble with alterations here of all my OTR suits, even having trousers not hemmed to my satisfaction.

Does anyone have a prefered alterations tailor in Adelaide?

Also keen to find out if there are any fellow SF'ers in Adelaide, I haven't really spotted many pocket squares or welted shoes around the place so it seems unlikely..

M~

Harry Lean

Reaction score
l wish you all the best of luck in finding one, you are going to need it. One good thing, at least you won't need an excessive budget for clothes.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
ahh Adelaide....like hell with a beach and a winter. I grew up there and got out as soon as I was able....but, to your question.

For off the rack stuff, you may want to try Joseph Uzumcu on Gawler Place.

For tailoring - there are the two Sicilian Joes sitting on opposite sides of Hindley Street, long time rivals in that Grumpy Old Men kinda way.

Joe Izzo on one side, cheaper, prone to saying things like "you phey khesh, offa da books, right?" Very friendly, super nice guy. Wife sits in there all day nagging him to take his medicine. She's lovely.

Joe Ielessi on the other side of the street is more of a perfectionist, costs more, less friendly, but very professional.

They are both on the first floor, Izzo is above what used to be Flash Cafe, Ielessi is basically directly opposite, his street frontage is just a stairwell and a small sign.

Personally, I always used Izzo, I just really liked the guy. His wife used to know the sound of his slippers coming up the stairwell 50 meters away. Back in the day he had like 50 staff, and he is more than happy to tell his stories from the old days.

It must be 10 yrs since I was last in there, and they may well both be resting in their retirements now, but if Izzo is still around, see if he remembers Matt-from-Myer. I used to sell suits there when I was a student, used to send him a lot of the alteration work.

JHH

Reaction score
Mat

After reading your post I went and met Joey Izzo the other day who is still on Hindley. Like you said delightfully nice guy. Anyway I have some cloth which I was considering giving him to make me a suit and was just wondering if you had ever had anything made by him or would further recommend his work. I saw some suits that he had made for other customers that looked good enough. It's just that it's fairly nice cloth which is the only reason why I'm a little bit tentative about using him for this project. Thank you kindly

JHH

gitsy0002

Reaction score
I realise that this is an old thread by now but is there any chance of an update? I am in Adelaide and looking for a tailor so I would really like to know of anyone who has had a suit made from scratch in Adelaide. I also went and saw Joe Izzo in Hindley St and thought him a nice guy. He said he would charge me $1200 for a suit with two pairs of trousers and I'm wondering about the quality.

Thanks

JHH

Reaction score
Not sure where you’re at with getting a suit made or using Joey, but I had a suit made from him earlier this year and if you want my thoughts PM me and Ill let you know.

TAYLOR

Reaction score
There is a new store on Pirie Street after the square (191 Pirie Street). They're offering tailored suits, shirts..
The store looks dodgy from the outside however their suits are good and their prices are low. The name of the store is Bestitched.

TAYLOR

Reaction score
I heard that FERRARI formal wear on South road now offers a tailoring service but you need to make a time with their tailor for that.

BestTailor'sSA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JHH
Mat

After reading your post I went and met Joey Izzo the other day who is still on Hindley. Like you said delightfully nice guy. Anyway I have some cloth which I was considering giving him to make me a suit and was just wondering if you had ever had anything made by him or would further recommend his work. I saw some suits that he had made for other customers that looked good enough. It's just that it's fairly nice cloth which is the only reason why I'm a little bit tentative about using him for this project. Thank you kindly

JHH

Hello, you can easily trust izzo, he uses some of the best and finest materials in the world. I have had several suits made from him and they were all brilliant and unbelievably cheap for the quality and effort put into them. All you need to do is tell izzo exactly what style of suit you want and you will get it.

tone76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by BestTailor'sSA
Hello,
you can easily trust izzo, he uses some of the best and finest materials in the world. I have had several suits made from him and they were all brilliant and unbelievably cheap for the quality and effort put into them. All you need to do is tell izzo exactly what style of suit you want and you will get it.

I'm assuming that Joey Izzo would be able to measure/alter RTW suits as well? I have a couple that I think fit OK, but I wouldn't mind having a good tailor go over and perhaps give me some ideas on how to improve the fit (tbh I'm too scared to post a pic of myself in a suit as even though I thought my suits fitted well on me, now I'm not so sure!).

BestTailor'sSA

Reaction score
Originally Posted by tone76
I'm assuming that Joey Izzo would be able to measure/alter RTW suits as well? I have a couple that I think fit OK, but I wouldn't mind having a good tailor go over and perhaps give me some ideas on how to improve the fit (tbh I'm too scared to post a pic of myself in a suit as even though I thought my suits fitted well on me, now I'm not so sure!).
Joe is a nice guy he would be happy to have people come into his store and chat to him any time. I have had a few suits altered from him and now they fit extremely well. Joey has been doing alterations for many decades and he is very good at it. He will make you try on your suit and then you can ask him for his advise or you can ask him for what alterations you want done to your suit, whether you want your old jacket to be made tighter or you want a pair of beloved pants that don't fit anymore to be loosened.

tone76

Reaction score
Took the plunge and went to see Joey Izzo yesterday. Lovely man, and his wife is really nice too. I've left him a couple of jackets to alter. He was very complimentary about the jackets (I dunno if he says this to everyone, but there you go), about the internet in general (sounds like a lot of his work these days is from guys buying suits online) and he managed to measure me up using just chalk. I'm guessing he's done so many suits over so many years he probably doesn't need a tape measure any more.

The most interesting thing is that it appears the shoulders are too wide, and he wants to alter them. Interestingly, when I asked if it would be hard, he indicated that it wouldn't be a problem.
eh.gif
I'll take his word for it, I'm guessing he's been doing this for the best part of 50 years.

Hopefully, in a few weeks I'll be able to produce my first ever round of WAYWRN photos. Up until now I've been too embarrassed to due to the appalling fit of my suits up until this point. The worst bit I thought I was dressed really well.
facepalm.gif

shaolinchild

Reaction score
Any word on the quality of the Izzo alterations, I am in Adelaide for a bit of work and would like to get some trousers altered. He sounds like the guy to sort them out.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member