• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Tailored Clothing Widely Considered Gay

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw
I know this guy who has like five pairs of shoes! I am sorry but all a man should have are some sneakers, flip flops and maybe a pair of black dress shoes. Anything more than that is just gay.

Oops ! You just called gay the 70% of the forum members
laugh.gif

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
People wearing that suit in the first pic Manton are so gay, they might as well play jazz flute.
ROLF ! I play jazz and it is true, most flute players are girls or dubious men

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Con Biz Dresser
I could let the two Rolling Rocks I had tonight influence my judgment and make a rude comment about your overly erect lapel
This is gold, pure gold, I tells ya!

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Called out!

Well!

With all due respect (not much), your attempt at overdetermination is underwhelming.

While some elements send the right signals, others don't. The general effect is not very gay at all, merely dandyish. To me it says "very successful trial lawyer," at least above the pant cuffs.

Single breasted peaked lapel coats are quite ubiquitous nowadays, albeit usually separted from matching pants or vests. Most of these are pin striped and worn equally by 'mos and hets.

Lavender is a symbolic color of homosexuality but lavender shirts themselves don't communicate much. Lavender or purple ties communicate even less. Wilde's symbolic color was green -- this was the color of his carnation. Other Continental turn of the century homosexuals wore cravats of this color. In the early 20th century, in New York, red was the neck tie color that sent the strongest signals.

Suede shoes were just as suspect as Manton says.

My favorite example of TCWCG remains this:

The too-bold stripe, the giant figures on the tie, and the giant cufflinks are all signalling, even in the context of florid late 40s menswear styling.

The current equivalent would be a bodyhugging pinstripe coat, puma speedcats, some overpriced and excessively distressed jeans (especially around the crotch), and a t-shirt with vintage athletic styling and the words "Pitcher" or "Catcher" printed on it.

And yes, this is business dress in Chelsea.

Eh, what do you know about it. The last time I saw you, you didn't even look all that gay.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, for the Collection of Sartorial Excellence I toned it down a little.

But it's also me on the runway in Jared's avatar.

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, my gray POW with pink windowpane, my spread collar and my purple dimpled tie would qualify as gay to you ?

gaysuit.jpg

lakewolf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am straight as an arrow but I still recognise everyone of us have a feminine side. the tie and the pocket square are the feminine side of our attire.

when I was young and started to wear suits, I was taught that the suit has to be dark and serious as a father and the shirt should be white as a canvas as a pure mother, and the tie was the colorful "fille folle" or the crazy daughter.

I had followed that advice my whole life.

I had scored countless women and never had an interest for any men, out of business interests off course, and even not that much so.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lakewolf
So, my gray POW with pink windowpane, my spread collar and my purple dimpled tie would qualify as gay to you ?

gaysuit.jpg

The red windowpane honestly looks straight to me. Maybe it's the color. Also, you don't have a pocket square.

The tie is definitely gay. As is the besom ticket pocket.

Freerider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
BTW, if you must wrestle with a gay guy, make it one of the West Village dudes. The Chelsea boys are really strong. They must spend all day in the gym. The Village guys are weaklings by comparison.

Tom Wolfe wannabe, write a loooong socio-book and get yourself a white flannel suit.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Freerider
get yourself a white flannel suit.

What makes you think I don't already have one?

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Freerider
Why should we avoid it?

Well, the thing is, a lot of straight guys just hate it when anyone speculates that they might be gay. (No offense, mack. It's nothing personal, just stating a fact to help explain things to Freerider here.) So, to help them avoid facing such speculation, I started this thread. It's really that simple. If you are not bothered at all when people indulge in such speculations about you, then there is no reason for you to follow any of this advice.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jett
That's me, except instead of flip flops I have a pair of steel toed workboots. I added a pair of AE Sanfords to my collection today though. Really, I don't give a **** if people think I am gay, a lot of people already do since I dress nice by their standards (although I know I don't dress nice by the standards of your average SFer, at least not yet).

I wouldn't worry. There's nothing gay about workboots.

David-1.jpg

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
Once again, all theory, no practice, eh, Manton? Step out of 1939 and realize gay men aren't flaming stereotypes. From my observations, the suit most loved by gay men is BLACK. Solid BLACK. With notch lapels. The next time you see a guy in a black suit, think to yourself, "Odds are good that guy is gay."

000410_88.jpg

"You call me gay in a dream, you better wake up and apologize."

And don't even suggest this to Mr. Blonde or there'll be a Steeler's Wheel inspired bloodbath.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads