• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Suits in Your Mind's Closet

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know many of us are in the process of, not just learning, but building (or rebuilding) our wardrobes. Of course, our idea of what we want is always changing, but, if you're like me, you have a general idea of where you're going. So, as of right now, what is in your, eventual, full closet?

I'll get us started, going in the rough order I would probably add them, in a world where I could get exactly what I'm looking for. I'd throw it all out the window, of course, if I see something else I love.

All flap pockets, that can be tucked to look like besom, two button, and double vents, unless otherwise noted):
  • Already have a solid steel blue three piece, in a modern/slim fit (I'm 5'7", 150 lbs, so it works on me whether or not it is in fashion at the time), notch 2.5" wide lapels. Standard 5-button vest(I know, I know, terrible colour choice for a first/only suit, but I loved it, and it was free), centre vent.
  • Have a vintage navy with white pinstripe, probably 80's based on lapels, that I have never gotten around to getting altered properly - bought it for $20 for a Hallowe'en costume. I will be, shortly, evaluating how valuable the effort of getting it wearable would be. Don't remember on vent(s).
  • Solid Navy, SB, possibly herringbone, three piece, peak lapels, fairly classic fit, with two vests - one double breasted with lapels, the other standard 5 button.
  • Solid charcoal, very dark, SB, much the same as the navy, one button, would do the two vests as well. Probably peaks again, but I might go to notches. The jacket can double as a stroller.
  • Solid Mid grey sharkskin, notches, three piece, and, yep, two vests. I love double breasted vests, but, sometimes it's a bit much - the two vests turns one suit into three! Ticket pocket, I think.
  • Solid navy, ideally out of the same material as the first navy, so that I can swap all the pieces around, but simple, and classic, with notches. Cuffs on this one (which gives me both options, with both navy suits!) Ticket pocket here.
  • Dark, but not pushing black, charcoal with white, or off-white, chalk stripe... on the fence between double or single breasted on this one (I welcome thoughts!) and, not sure on 3 piece or 2 piece, either. Definitely cuffs on this guy. Peaks if DB, can't decide if SB. On the one hand, I think it's a ballsy suit, so finish it with peaks, rather than take a half measure. On the other, it's a very bold pattern, so let that be the feature, and go with a standard notch. Ticket pocket for sure. Either way, a db vest with lapels - either mirroring the jacket, or shawl... not sure. Probably Flannel, winter weight here, with a good amount of hair (I welcome thoughts!)
  • A dark-ish mid grey, with very subtle check, notches, no ticket pocket. And, yes, both styles of vest. 2.5-3" lapels on this, and more modern style, maybe. Centre vent. Winter weight.
  • Grey Glenplaid, no over check, single breasted, and single breasted vest. Notch lapels on jacket and vest. Ticket pocket.
  • Solid black, 2-piece, herringbone, single breasted, peak lapels, one button (another that can double as a stroller). I think black gets too little credit - it can be done well, and it is the most appropriate colour for funerals, and I'd like to have one in my closet, for that reason alone. If I can, I would prefer to be as appropriate as possible. Besom pockets.
  • Solid charcoal, lighter than the others, double breasted, 3-piece with DB vest with lapels, though I'd wear the vest infrequently, but I think I'd want it sometimes.
  • Light grey, summer weight wool, 3 piece, simple vest.
  • Dark-ish mid grey chalk check, single breasted, notches, 2-piece... I think the pattern is just too much with a vest. Ticket pocket.
  • Tweed three piece; don't know exactly what I want, here, but a classic, country suit.
  • Navy with lighter blue pin stripe, cuffs, single breasted, regular 5-button, no lapel vest. Ticket pocket.
  • Charcoal with a fun colour pin stripe - purple maybe, cuffs, single breasted, with db vest. Notch lapels on jacket, and vest. Ticket pocket.
  • Mid blue, subtle plaid of some kind. Notches, 2 piece probably. Cuffs.
  • Classic blue stripe seersucker, double breasted, peaks, no cuffs. Centre vent.
  • A winter weight mid grey flannel, double breasted, maybe two patch pockets, or maybe flaps, and ticket pocket.
  • Beige/Ivory/Off-white Linen, two piece. Centre vent.
  • Mid-grey, maybe solid, maybe patterned, winter weight, with a nice, hairy texture,
  • Another solid charcoal, maybe a slimmer/more modern fit. 2-piece, notches. Centre vent.
  • Another solid navy, same as charcoal above.
  • A couple more hairy, winter weight suits, I think, in whatever fabric I see, and like, at this point. Probably a grey and a blue, and then something with a great pattern.
  • Light blue, summer weight sharkskin, notches, 2-piece, more modern fit, 2.5" lapels, cuffs.
  • After this... well whatever fabric strikes my fancy, because I've got everything covered. I'd get into some great, unique patterns now - though I might well get into them earlier than this.

So, what's in your future closet?​

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
As many shades of blue jackets and gray and brown trousers as possible.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did anyone else think of this upon seeing the title of the thread?

Steve%2BMcQueen%2B1968%2BThe%2BThomas%2BCrown%2BAffair.jpg

lwmarti

Reaction score
This will probably be seen as heresy by some people, but I see more J. Crew suits in my future.

While buying a bunch of J. Crew stuff for my sons (in college) recently, for no reason that's easy to explain, I bought a couple of J. Crew cotton suits for myself. That's very out of character for me; most of the suits that I own are suitable for my days in financial consulting and are very different from the inexpensive cotton models I picked up from J. Crew.

Much to my surprise, the cotton J. Crew suits have something that's lacking in the nicer models, and that's fun. There's no other way to describe it. They're fun. They're clearly not as well made, the material they're made from isn't even close to being as nice, and so on, but d**n it, they're fun.

I'm at the point now (very senior person at the top of my field) where I don't need to wear suits to impress people or to get jobs, so d**n it, I'm going to wear what I want to wear, and for the next year or so (maybe more), it's going to be cheap cotton suits from J. Crew. And I'm going to have fun doing it.

And as a bonus, the J. Crew Ludlow suits fit me perfectly.

So there it is. Heresy of the worst kind: cheap J. Crew suits leaving their Kiton and Brioni cousins sitting unworn in the closet.

Last edited:

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My future closet will be slowly and carefully filled with suits that are made for me. It's difficult time to generalize further, but I would like more flannel...

Arch3r

Reaction score
I'm in the midst of a complete rebuild of my suit wardrobe due to weight loss. But this is what I'm working through. Once I complete this I'll probably just visit my tailor regularly and get what ever I'm in the mood for.

Intermediate weight
  1. English Navy 3 piece
  2. French Navy 3 piece
  3. Navy Wide Pinstripe
  4. Charcoal 3 piece
  5. Mid Grey Sharkskin
  6. Grey Plaid

Summer
  1. Midnight Blue in Mohair
  2. Brown basket weave in Mohair
  3. Light Grey Linen

Winter