• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SWD Discussion Thread for Tailoring

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d also swap out the buttons so it reads less like an orphaned suit coat. Brass, or light brown, or mother of pearl.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’d also swap out the buttons so it reads less like an orphaned suit coat. Brass, or light brown, or mother of pearl.

Grey mother-of-pearl or mid brown horn for me. And, as others said, would combine the jacket with contrast trousers, beige, tan, tobacco, green, fine wale cord is a good option.

kashmir

Reaction score
Just came back from Istanbul, the amount of oversized 80s blazers is off the charts. Older people wearing them because that's what they have always worn, and young people wearing them because fashion. The former of course not as oversized as the latter. There are a few "thrift" shops stocking tons of vintage blazers and all of them are displayed with sleeves rolled up. One vintage cord RL made in macau commands around 350 USD. I like this look better than the skin tight look of olden days, but it does get tiring when it's so in your face lol
Side note: the old people in Istanbul are so stylish.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
$350! that stuff is more like <$35

edit: kind funny "skin tight look of olden days", I can just remember about 20 years ago someone said the "sack look of olden days", I guess fashion trend is up and down all the time

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just came back from Istanbul, the amount of oversized 80s blazers is off the charts. Older people wearing them because that's what they have always worn, and young people wearing them because fashion. The former of course not as oversized as the latter. There are a few "thrift" shops stocking tons of vintage blazers and all of them are displayed with sleeves rolled up. One vintage cord RL made in macau commands around 350 USD. I like this look better than the skin tight look of olden days, but it does get tiring when it's so in your face lol
Side note: the old people in Istanbul are so stylish.

I can see it also here in Berlin and ,of course, in Italy too.

Maybe these older people don't pay much attention in what they wear, but they mostly dress better than the young.

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good eye, these are just wranglers dress jeans, 100% polyester definitely helps them stay clean rather than cotton that’s a bit rumpled by the end of day
Edit and it’s navy instead of black though all of pictures looks pretty much black
I'm thinking about getting a pair of the Wranchers. Tractor Supply (yes, you read that right) has them for $39.99 + shipping. How are they on a warm day? Thoughts on colors?

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$350! that stuff is more like <$35

edit: kind funny "skin tight look of olden days", I can just remember about 20 years ago someone said the "sack look of olden days", I guess fashion trend is up and down all the time

Yes, that's why a gentleman develops his own style and does not follows fashion trends.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting a pair of the Wranchers. Tractor Supply (yes, you read that right) has them for $39.99 + shipping. How are they on a warm day? Thoughts on colors?

It hasn’t been warm haha, personally think pick navy or black because their navy is very dark outside that either dark brown or beige looks good

The “feel” is definitely crappy (well 100% synthetic) but I’ll live

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yes, that's why a gentleman develops his own style and does not follows fashion trends.

I mean yes and no, I just don’t think timeless really exist, Savile Row moves too, my personal taste changes

One benefit of being older is you can dress a decade older and just fine…

There are things my dad can pull off that I would ridiculous 10 years prior and probably to some degree now

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
that's some wide pants (if you have ever meet Nina, she wear stuff with a lot flare)

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's some wide pants (if you have ever meet Nina, she wear stuff with a lot flare)

Those trousers make a bold statement. They also show a less flared version on the side.

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean yes and no, I just don’t think timeless really exist, Savile Row moves too, my personal taste changes

One benefit of being older is you can dress a decade older and just fine…

There are things my dad can pull off that I would ridiculous 10 years prior and probably to some degree now
I understand what you say, and undoubtedly it's true that tastes change and evolve, that's why I used the word develop. Once you have found your style though, it's pretty unlikely that it will change noticeably. For example, if you like wide lapels and see that they are more flattering, you won't wear slim ones anymore.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Low starting bid (he has a lot more)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Staff online

Forum statistics