• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SWD Discussion Thread for Tailoring

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm suspicious of anyone asking for measurements on ebay, especially if the garment is a standard size. 90% of the time, the person asking this question doesn't buy it. The other 10% has me concerned that if I tell them the shoulders measure 17", they will find it actually measures 17.1" and was therefore "misrepresented."
People seem to get around this by including pictures of the garment with a yardstick laying across it in different positions. That way buyers can more or less see what the measurements are but the seller isn't responsible for how they are interpreted.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I would go on ebay/buyee(yahoo japan/mercari mainly)/poshmark/vestiaire (maybe realreal but for that you need to know more specifically what you're looking for)

type in search like polo ralph lauren herringbone, houndstooth, birdseye etc. (don't expect people to actually to do it right, other than herringbone I have seen people calling windowpane as birdseye...), , tom ford x gucci 46 (or whatever your italian size is), I mean soon enough the robot would start to do the job for you too because you liked xyz

I'm lucky (or unlucky) that size 36 automatically chops down search result by a lot so easy to go through more less, i mean if you look for size 42 it's like pages of pages of pages...

I'm sure at certain point people can write javascript for this, but without some training data you kind have to go through manually and most site make scrubbing harder these days

edit:

and if someone needs a beater...

edit:
I assume you know the various thing to skip in RL, like skip Lauren Ralph Lauren, Ralph Ralph Lauren (that's not RRL), Chaps, Polo University (though someone told me some of them might be good don't really know), then like Tom Ford has stuff they made for staff that's made in China (which is fine but don't misrepresent and ask for crazy price), different era of Gucci. i think YSL/Dior for example has very specific "bad" vintage etc (I'm sure there is someone on SF knows this but I don't).

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
People seem to get around this by including pictures of the garment with a yardstick laying across it in different positions. That way buyers can more or less see what the measurements are but the seller isn't responsible for how they are interpreted.

yup, though the worst kind is taking unreadable size picture..., zoom in 5 times still don't know where it lands...

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score

I've noticed this too. This is probably the best strategy at this point. That way there's no debate about things like including the seams or where exactly to measure shoulders. Does the rise measurement include the waistband? etc.

Iskander

Reaction score
I have a styling question and this thread seemed like an appropriate place to ask.

I have this Stephan Schneider jacket that I bought years ago (I want to say 2017/2018). It is very casual, being totally unlined and unstuctured, no vent, cotton/linen cloth, and also borderline comically short. I actually found an old product photo which I will add below.
The length obviously makes it look quite dated, and I wouldn't dream of trying to wear it like actual tailoring, but is it still possible to style this in 2024? Maybe with just a tee and slip on vans? I am a little loathe to get rid of it because it was one of the first "cool" things I bought when I was getting into clothing.
Please give me your ideas, if any.
w40o4ftmpfc9mhls0lkp.jpg

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a styling question and this thread seemed like an appropriate place to ask.

I have this Stephan Schneider jacket that I bought years ago (I want to say 2017/2018). It is very casual, being totally unlined and unstuctured, no vent, cotton/linen cloth, and also borderline comically short. I actually found an old product photo which I will add below.
The length obviously makes it look quite dated, and I wouldn't dream of trying to wear it like actual tailoring, but is it still possible to style this in 2024? Maybe with just a tee and slip on vans? I am a little loathe to get rid of it because it was one of the first "cool" things I bought when I was getting into clothing.
View attachment 2143941

Sorry, it doesn't look good. Either get rid of it, or keep it as a dear memory.

true.to.size

Reaction score
Does it fit you like the product photo? There it seems a size (or two) too small.

I have a similar Schneider jacket that I still wear occasionally, but it seems longer (though maybe just a larger size) and has a boxier fit (no darts). It's tropical wool and I wear it casually in the summer, as you say, with a T and slip-ons or with a camp shirt.

Iskander

Reaction score
Does it fit you like the product photo? There it seems a size (or two) too small.

I have a similar Schneider jacket that I still wear occasionally, but it seems longer (though maybe just a larger size) and has a boxier fit (no darts). It's tropical wool and I wear it casually in the summer, as you say, with a T and slip-ons or with a camp shirt.
It is not as tight as in the photo, no. That model looks like he wouldn't even be able to button it. Mine is fitted in the chest but pretty boxy though the waist. Not as short as that either, but still pretty short.
Thanks for your input, which gives me a little more confidence I can still wear it without looking completely daft.

true.to.size

Reaction score
I may look daft in it haha. When I wear it, I typically try to incorporate one or more unkempt elements—untucked shirt, beat-up shoes, etc. I think the narrow lapels can quickly give it a dated Euro-/slick/minimal/2010s vibe, so I try to counter that (whether successfully or not...)

sipang

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks great, I feel like that last shoulder line calls for more collar than a limp cutaway. All RLPL ?

View attachment 2143941

You can't change the details but you can always tweak the overall silhouette. Get some high rise trousers with straight/loose legs and tuck in your top. Higher rise will make the jacket look less cropped and the added volume in the bottom half will make for a comfy and more harmonious looking A shaped silhouette.

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
DB is RLPL, SB is Thom Sweeney bespoke, can definitely put a higher collar shirt

edit: the guy has 2 more TS listed now too
that shoulder though else might have considered...

and a 3 button else would probably gotten it

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads