• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SWD Discussion Thread for Tailoring

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yup the Phineas cole, this Gucci was also an orphan jacket, don’t think the same high contrast would work here though.

Post in thread 'SWD Discussion Thread for Tailoring'
https://www.styleforum.net/threads/swd-discussion-thread-for-tailoring.697680/post-11478377

Or random idea, would either this pant work (immediately felt the first one should be a lot darker so probably not)

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kinda want another oversized Armani suit. I do think the criticisms ITT are valid though and it may not suit my body type with narrow shoulders. A lot of the jackets are also on the longer side.

I'll be damned if it wasn't the most comfortable suit I've ever worn though.

The pants on this alone are mighty tempting.

AzsjUdd.jpg

WQyDSIm.jpg

I'd love to be able to wear the 70s-80s silhouettes, but I notice the thighs on the flared pants are often very trim.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
how tall are you, I would usually be able to chop jacket length by 1 inch max without looking weird (assuming it's not a patch pocket)

ppk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kinda want another oversized Armani suit. I do think the criticisms ITT are valid though and it may not suit my body type with narrow shoulders. A lot of the jackets are also on the longer side.

I'll be damned if it wasn't the most comfortable suit I've ever worn though.

The pants on this alone are mighty tempting.

AzsjUdd.jpg

WQyDSIm.jpg

I'd love to be able to wear the 70s-80s silhouettes, but I notice the thighs on the flared pants are often very trim.
This is stunning. Seriously. It's elegant, classic and distinctive - I love that style.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
how tall are you, I would usually be able to chop jacket length by 1 inch max without looking weird (assuming it's not a patch pocket)
I'm 5'10ish, so 177-178cm.

That wouldn't throw the balance off?

The one below that I own is apparently 30.75", but it looks much longer.

The one I'm debating is 31.5" from "shoulder-to-hem" from the seller, so may be more like 32" BoC-to-hem.
Photo dump: Experimenting with the oversized 90s Armani suit I bought from eazye.

Would love some feedback. This is not something I'm fully comfortable with yet, it does feel clownlike on me. Oversized suits feel like a totally different ballgame compared to big coats.

It looks good to my eye when moving around, but dumpy when standing still. It's the exact opposite of most CM style tailoring I wear, and I'll have to get used to it I guess.

20231014-111307.jpg
20231014-111317.jpg
20231014-111335.jpg
20231014-111350.jpg
20231014-111413.jpg
20231014-111418.jpg
20231014-111425.jpg
20231014-111837.jpg
20231014-111843.jpg
20231014-111849.jpg
20231014-111858.jpg
20231014-111907.jpg
This is stunning. Seriously. It's elegant, classic and distinctive - I love that style.
Yeah it looks very cool. It would fit very similiar to the suit I posted in the spoiler tags, with an even longer jacket. I still wear that one, but it does give me pause to essentially have two gray suits in a similiar cut that may not even suit my build.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm 5'7", think my max boc is 29.5in so I guess a proportion thing else I would have thought 30.5in is fine for you. I try to not to buy jacket I need to chop length but if I have to 1 inch is about as much as I would go in the past, it looks fine to me usually (unless it has unusually low buttoning point or patch pocket in which case just skip)

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm 5'7", think my max boc is 29.5in so I guess a proportion thing else I would have thought 30.5in is fine for you. I try to not to buy jacket I need to chop length but if I have to 1 inch is about as much as I would go in the past, it looks fine to me usually (unless it has unusually low buttoning point or patch pocket in which case just skip)
I'm sure the straight skirt makes it look even longer. Button stance is naturally 90s Armani low. Sounds like I should pass though, thank you.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is he still on SF, he used to be on car thread a lot never knew he post fits

He was originally here under a different name, dressed very badly by anyone's standards but kept claiming he was the bee's knees and was really annoying, and then eventually left or was banned – I don't know – and came back as Thrift Vader. He's been significantly less annoying ever since.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He was originally here under a different name, dressed very badly by anyone's standards but kept claiming he was the bee's knees and was really annoying, and then eventually left or was banned – I don't know – and came back as Thrift Vader. He's been significantly less annoying ever since.

hm ? he doesn't post anymore , hasn't in awhile .

i'm not sure who you think you are referring to but he was TV since 2014 when i joined .

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hm ? he doesn't post anymore , hasn't in awhile .

i'm not sure who you think you are referring to but he was TV since 2014 when i joined .

Some of us have been longer than that. This was well before 2014. Anyway, you're right that he's been gone (again) for a while. We hadn't really been in the same threads (he was into cars and I've never even had a driving lesson) so I hadn't noticed...

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some of us have been longer than that. This was well before 2014. Anyway, you're right that he's been gone (again) for a while. We hadn't really been in the same threads (he was into cars and I've never even had a driving lesson) so I hadn't noticed...

aha . so we're talking about 10+ years ago , that's fun i guess .

and while this is great knowledge , idgaf about styfo in 2012 or whenever . i'm poasting here to support the idea of reuse as a means of getting to a cogent aesthetic , particularly the use of orphaned tailoring ( which TV was an advocate of before he left ) .

in terms of that convo maybe you have something to offer maybe you don't but that's the convo .

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads