• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

suspenders!

RobertE

Reaction score
good afternoon1 i am having my tailor add brace buttons to my better pants. i own one pair of brooks bros. suspenders. anyone else like suspenders? where do you buy them?
i want real button suspenders, not clip ons.

have a super day!
bob

codeman92190

Reaction score
Please have him take off the belt loops while you're at. I don't know that this is a hard and fast rule, but if you're going to wear them, don't do it half-way. I personally wear all of my lower rise pants with belts, and my higher rise pants with suspenders, mostly because I find it very uncomfortable to cinch a belt around my stomach. I can see no real reason why you would have to choose between the two on any given day.

RobertE

Reaction score
albert thurston is superb!! thank you. seems i can order direct from them. thanks SO MUCH. high quality.

best

bob

jcamson

Reaction score
What would be the average price to remove the belt loops and put on the buttons? I've seen $6-$10 for the buttons. I need to buy a pair of brown suspenders before I make the plunge. But I'm trying to figure out how expensive it will be.

codeman92190

Reaction score
thanks codeman! where do you buy your suspenders?

Bob

I have mostly stuck to Brooks Brothers up to this point. They were the first pair that I bought, and I've never felt the need to deviate from them. I would recommend checking out ebay, as well.

What would be the average price to remove the belt loops and put on the buttons? I've seen $6-$10 for the buttons. I need to buy a pair of brown suspenders before I make the plunge. But I'm trying to figure out how expensive it will be.

Yeah, getting the buttons put on is about $6-$10, but having the loops removed can cost $20-$30, depending on how much stitching was used to put them on in the first place. I can't remember exactly what website it was, but there is a clothing store that offers at checkout either belt loops, suspender buttons, or pull tabs. If anyone knows what I'm talking about, I'd love to know where I saw that, because I really appreciated that option.

johnvw

Reaction score
Albert Thurston and BB both offer quality suspenders (braces). RobertE doesn't mention in his original post having a price point or price range in mind, but www.beltoutlet.com has braces with leather tabs for sale at prices significantly below what the other two charge. (This is not :spam:; I am a satisfied customer there.) Anyone who finds the AT and BB braces expensive should check out the above website.

john parker

Reaction score
Just looked briefly at the Belt Outlet "button suspenders" (braces), and they seem to be all elastic. I personally prefer the "stability" of Thurston, Tragalgar and other braces where the ribbon is non-stretch except for the back strap. Perhaps that is just a matter of personal preference, but to me the non-stretch seem more secure.

johnvw

Reaction score

Just looked briefly at the Belt Outlet "button suspenders" (braces), and they seem to be all elastic. I personally prefer the "stability" of Thurston, Tragalgar and other braces where the ribbon is non-stretch except for the back strap. Perhaps that is just a matter of personal preference, but to me the non-stretch seem more secure.

The Belt Outlet braces are "elastic" in adjusting to various user heights/weights within a size range (regular and big/tall), but once adjusted correctly are secure in holding pants in place comfortably.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads