• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zanci

Reaction score
I have been looking for a double breasted flannel suit
The selection is pretty limited atm at susu

How to know which are the full canvas construction?

h3ro

Reaction score
I have been looking for a double breasted flannel suit
The selection is pretty limited atm at susu

How to know which are the full canvas construction?
The fit lines which are fully canvased are the Jort and La Spalla fits. There have been Jort DB flannels in the past but none currently on offer.
MTM looks like the only way to get a full canvas DB at the moment. All the current Madison/Soho/Havana fits available are half canvas.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand your skepticism. I think you just have to be very clear about what you want from the outset. Thankfully the super-fitted #menswear look seems to be on the way out.

Over here, SuSu's starting MTM price is €499, which is insanely cheap. Prices at the local shop doing my suit start at €1100. I ended up paying more than that despite a 20% discount.

Please post your B&R suit when it's ready. I'm sure I'm not the only poster who is interested in a comparison.

I'm a bit confused by your post. At your local SuitSupply it starts at €1100 for MTM and you were able to get a 20% discount?

Or does it start at €499? That's sounds lower than I would've ever thought.

Last Fall when I checked it was a little over $1000 for us in the US.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the confusion. I meant the local menswear store, not SuitSupply. SuSu is only opening here next year.

€499 is SuSu's MTM starting price in the eurozone. At Sauma, the place I went to, the starting price is €1100.

username79

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been asked and answered previously in this 1000+ page long thread.

Is SuitSupply going downmarket/removing their top lines?

Their website currently shows no premium line suits from most of the collections - La Spalla, Jort, etc. There's only a few Hartford models.

Where did the nice stuff go? I liked La Spalla because it was 85% of a Zegna suit at 40% of the cost.

h3ro

Reaction score
Sorry if this question has been asked and answered previously in this 1000+ page long thread.

Is SuitSupply going downmarket/removing their top lines?

Their website currently shows no premium line suits from most of the collections - La Spalla, Jort, etc. There's only a few Hartford models.

Where did the nice stuff go? I liked La Spalla because it was 85% of a Zegna suit at 40% of the cost.
I mentioned it on the last page, but I feel the same way. They're embracing Fast Fashion. Those consumers won't care about real horn buttons or a full canvas construction. They want tight capri style pants and jackets 3 sizes too small. That's how the sales associates are trained and instructed to dress, it's what is selling for them.

@Michael81 What did you end up selecting at Sauma!? I've liked some of the work I've seen of there's on the NordicFit and Dress Like A blogs.

Kelvin0683

Reaction score
I mentioned it on the last page, but I feel the same way. They're embracing Fast Fashion. Those consumers won't care about real horn buttons or a full canvas construction. They want tight capri style pants and jackets 3 sizes too small. That's how the sales associates are trained and instructed to dress, it's what is selling for them.

@Michael81 What did you end up selecting at Sauma!? I've liked some of the work I've seen of there's on the NordicFit and Dress Like A blogs.

Is Brooks Brothers the next step up in terms of quality for suits around $1000? If what everyone in this thread is saying is true, I will probably only buy during outlet sales from now on.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@h3ro I chose a 340oz light-grey flannel 2 piece with classic details. Standard shoulder pads, button point and trouser rise at the natural waist, double reverse-pleats and patch pockets and a slightly longer jacket. A bit different from what you see on The Nordic Fit and Dress Like A, so I'm quite interested to see how it turns out.

Mike Ballard

Reaction score
Here are the new Jort suits https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suits?prefn1=fit&prefv1=Jort
They all look pretty good. Some of the coats this season are quite nice as well, so I'm a bit perplexed as to the widespread negativity on here. From what I've seen so far, the releases over the last year or so compare very favorably with my previous La Spalla/Hartford/Sienne/Madison etc. suits. Just my humble opinion.

Cheers

The Dirk

Reaction score
The new Havana right out of the box. I'll try and get other photos later, but so far I feel like the fit is almost spot on.

20171014_233404.jpg

sargeinaz

Reaction score
I just wish the Havana had higher arm holes. Then I'd strongly consider doing an MTM navy hopsack blazer with wider lapels and a 3 roll 2 like this one (this is not my picture, I found it online)

IMG_1697.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads