• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kithking23

Reaction score
I've thought about offering to proxy for people when I head over there but have not thought through the logistics. Buyers would end up paying US shipping instead of international which could help a little.
Only about 30$ for shipping really still a deal

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys find SS' armholes to be too low in almost all their suits?

Yes, I've been noticing Suitsupply is decreasing in quality. The armholes are much lower than they used to be a few years ago. I doubt I'll be buying from SS again unless I grab something from the outlet.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not particularly impressed with their current suit and jacket offerings either, but their outerwear seems decent - at least, the navy raincoat I own is. I'm considering adding a grey overcoat for the upcoming winter. Still curious about their MTM programme.

If you want higher armholes, the Washington is the only way to go. But of course, the styling is not for everyone.

Last edited:

h3ro

Reaction score
Yes, I've been noticing Suitsupply is decreasing in quality. The armholes are much lower than they used to be a few years ago. I doubt I'll be buying from SS again unless I grab something from the outlet.

Going to have to agree with the above sentiment, after my collect my MTM suit, I may stick to the odd outlet jacket from previous collections. I feel as if they have fully embraced the 'fast fashion' trend and now are all about volume of sales.

@Michael81, how is your MTM coming along? I had my second fitting after my suit came in and the vest and trousers were pitch perfect. The jacket required some work around the upper arms and is being remade.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It takes 5-6 weeks, so a few weeks to go before the first fitting. Sorry to hear they screwed up your jacket so badly.

MrSuited

Reaction score
I'm surprised to hear that all these people have an issue with Suitsupply's armhole size as compared to older suits, but then again I've only been shopping with Suitsupply for a year. Personally, I wouldn't mind it if Suitsupply did raise the armholes higher and made it smaller. To be fair though, I think most of their off the rack RTW suits are pretty solid in quality and can't be beat for the price. If you really want higher armholes, the only way is to go MTM or full bespoke.

If anyone can tell me another retailer that makes a quality suit on par with Suitsupply and has higher armholes than suitsupply's suits within the same price range please share because I'd love to know.

Last edited:

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand so many members want higher and smaller arm holes but we also have to think they are trying to get a decent fit for multiple people without creating the horrible divot or uncomfortable tightness that comes so often in OTR. Maybe it's just me but I think it's being exaggerated about how low the armholes are.

For myself, if the armholes were any smaller I couldn't wear any of their suits because I already almost always have to size up to prevent the divot.

On the other hand the size control and the prices are absurd. I can almost never get two suits that fit the same as the last despite it being the same size and model; and prices only keep going up in the US. That's the main reason why they've been losing my money.

CMAc7

Reaction score
I'm surprised to hear that all these people have an issue with Suitsupply's armhole size as compared to older suits, but then again I've only been shopping with Suitsupply for a year. Personally, I wouldn't mind it if Suitsupply did raise the armholes higher and made it smaller. To be fair though, I think most of their off the rack RTW suits are pretty solid in quality and can't be beat for the price. If you really want higher armholes, the only way is to go MTM or full bespoke.

If anyone can tell me another retailer that makes a quality suit on par with Suitsupply and has higher armholes than suitsupply's suits within the same price range please share because I'd love to know.

Spier and MacKay is just about there. Smaller collections, but damn good.

CMAc7

Reaction score
If I remember correctly outlet is in the summer and winter right? Next would be around January?

January and July yes. Though, historically a simultaneous European and US outlet ran within a week of each other on this schedule; but in July it was only the US that got one. Wouldn’t surprise me if they moved to a once a year for each region going forward.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand so many members want higher and smaller arm holes but we also have to think they are trying to get a decent fit for multiple people without creating the horrible divot or uncomfortable tightness that comes so often in OTR. Maybe it's just me but I think it's being exaggerated about how low the armholes are.

For myself, if the armholes were any smaller I couldn't wear any of their suits because I already almost always have to size up to prevent the divot.

On the other hand the size control and the prices are absurd. I can almost never get two suits that fit the same as the last despite it being the same size and model; and prices only keep going up in the US. That's the main reason why they've been losing my money.

Agreed. These kinds of issues are inevitable when the goal is to make a suit work for as many different body-types as possible. And despite this, they're still excellent value - even more so in Europe.

While the lack of consistency in sizing is frustrating, I'm primarily not interested in their current offerings because I'm tired of compromising on fit. I'm surprised more posters haven't tried their MTM programme, given how cheap it is. Even more surprising is the general lack of information about it available online.

Looking forward to @h3ro's thoughts (and hopefully photos) when his suit is finally ready.

Last edited:

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agreed. These kinds of issues are inevitable when the goal is to make a suit work for as many different body-types as possible. And despite this, they're still excellent value - even more so in Europe.

While the lack of consistency in sizing is frustrating, I'm primarily not interested in their current offerings because I'm tired of compromising on fit. I'm surprised more posters haven't tried their MTM programme, given how cheap it is. Even more surprising is the general lack of information about it available online.

Looking forward to @h3ro's thoughts (and hopefully photos) when his suit is finally ready.

I was really interested in their MTM program when I first got into SuSu a few years back, but everyone complained about them pushing for a very close fit especially with the trousers and that's just not my thing.

When I go into the SuSu store in San Francisco the associates just look so fashion forward and terrible. The jackets fit decent, just occasionally too short but about all of them have their trousers hugging their legs and hemmed to be ready for a flood. I just don't like the idea of being fitted by them but I guess I should get over that. Still The prices are higher here in the US though for MTM.

I recent tried MTM with Beckett and Robb and should be getting the suit shortly so I'm excited for that at least.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand your skepticism. I think you just have to be very clear about what you want from the outset. Thankfully the super-fitted #menswear look seems to be on the way out.

Over here, SuSu's starting MTM price is €499, which is insanely cheap. Prices at the local shop doing my suit start at €1100. I ended up paying more than that despite a 20% discount.

Please post your B&R suit when it's ready. I'm sure I'm not the only poster who is interested in a comparison.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SK2024