• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What size are you?

Jacket - 48 or 50 (US) and trousers - 42 or 44 (US), depending on the brand.

Mind you, I wear 38 Levi's or Tommy Hilfiger chinos but when it comes to proper dress trouser sizes, I hover between 42 and 44, depending on the make and fit.

Last edited:

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jacket - 48 or 50 (US) and trousers - 42 or 44 (US), depending on the brand.

Mind you, I wear 38 Levi's or Tommy Hilfiger chinos but when it comes to proper dress trouser sizes, I hover between 42 and 44, depending on the make and fit.

It looks like you and I are the same size. Here are some brands with which I've had luck:

-Incotex (classic fit, sometimes older models on eBay)
-Mabitex (same as above)
-Zanella
-J. Crew (some tweaks needed, and only certain models)
-Brooks Brothers
-Samuelsohn
-Canali (size up with their most recent ones)
-Hertling
-Corbin
-Hiltl

I recommend all of the above, but you'll have to try them on and see what works. However, I've had luck with all of these. I have had fit issues with SuSu trousers and needed to size up, with the thighs still being quite trim (I have big thighs). However, after some work with my tailor, I like what I have from them. Granted, I've only ever purchased suits, and not trousers on their own.

Chulillo

Reaction score
Decided to try SuitSupply's trousers in various fits. Now, I know, according to multiple users in this thread and from personal experience, that SuitSupply trousers fit quite slim (and by "quite", I mean "a lot").

My one and only previous experience with SuitSupply's trousers: those that came with my tuxedo. With the regular drop (6), the trousers that came with the tuxedo jacket were appropriately good-fitting in the waist line (not too tight, but not loose either). Where things got bad was regarding seat, thighs and overall leg line. I remember having my tailor let out the whole seat and leg, up to the maximum allowance the extra fabric provided (there was a little more than usual, I think because it was a tuxedo - more formal).

Now, having that in mind, I ordered 3 trousers in the next size up. I figured I'd rather take in the waist than have to let out (up to a certain level) the seat and the whole leg.

(Keep in mind, I ain't no small person. I sit at 6' and 250 lbs in the present moment.)

I ordered the following trousers: dark grey Oak fit, light grey Porto fit and light grey Soho Slim fit.

The pair that offered the best fit was the Oak fit. The leg had more room, the seat was ok (could use some letting out but there was enough fabric allowance) and in general, I liked the styling (suspender buttons, button fly, side tabs, cuffs). Where they fell short is that they resulted in huge pocket flare. I don't think letting the seat open could alleviate this completely, so they were out.

Same thing (pocket flare) with the Soho Slim.

Things got messy with the Porto fit. Terrible fit. At this point, it's not slim anymore, it's legging-tight. I think the leg opening was the equivalent of my ankle circumference. You could see muscle "curves" (calves and thighs) through the fabric. No bueno. Still, the waist was a little loose. I don't understand where SuitSupply wants to go with this fit, nor the target audience - one would need a enormous waist : leg ratio to feel comfortable in it.

Nonetheless, I am a little bummed because these were the biggest size SuitSupply offered (44US). I fit great in their size 48 (Napoli) and 50 (the rest) jackets, but I am stuck to buying jackets only because the matching trousers are too tight.

I guess I'll to go to a big mall department store and find me some properly fitting trousers to send to Luxire. To my knowledge, there is no SF-approved company that supply RTW trousers for the bigger gents.

PS.: no photos, sorry.

Thank you for this helpful post @ShawnBC
I am going to take it into consideration when I try trousers from SuSu.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It looks like you and I are the same size. Here are some brands with which I've had luck:

-Incotex (classic fit, sometimes older models on eBay)
-Mabitex (same as above)
-Zanella
-J. Crew (some tweaks needed, and only certain models)
-Brooks Brothers
-Samuelsohn
-Canali (size up with their most recent ones)
-Hertling
-Corbin
-Hiltl

I recommend all of the above, but you'll have to try them on and see what works. However, I've had luck with all of these. I have had fit issues with SuSu trousers and needed to size up, with the thighs still being quite trim (I have big thighs). However, after some work with my tailor, I like what I have from them. Granted, I've only ever purchased suits, and not trousers on their own.

Thank you for the informative suggestions, I will have to look into these!

Last edited:

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TONIGHT!

Osbeorn

Reaction score
We finally got a SuSu shop here in Copenhagen, but it came with an avg 15% price increase across the range as prices now are in DKK (both shop and online) compared to the "normal" EUR prices.
It's nice to see the fabrics in real life compared to the overexposured images online - but I'm not sure it's worth the 15% extra cost.
Having said that with the new shop I'm now able to try the MTM programme. The prices here starts at around DKK 5200 (EUR 700/$ 782) can anyone comment on the start prices in other EU countries as I suspect that it's cheaper there.

mbaltazar

Reaction score

We finally got a SuSu shop here in Copenhagen, but it came with an avg 15% price increase across the range as prices now are in DKK (both shop and online) compared to the "normal" EUR prices.
It's nice to see the fabrics in real life compared to the overexposured images online - but I'm not sure it's worth the 15% extra cost.
Having said that with the new shop I'm now able to try the MTM programme. The prices here starts at around DKK 5200 (EUR 700/$ 782) can anyone comment on the start prices in other EU countries as I suspect that it's cheaper there.

Price is never an easy issue. It also depends on fixed costs, taxes, cost of imports, which are probably applied once Denmark is not neither on the Euro Zone or Euro as a currency... So having a physical store, also means price alignment. It's life.
Why do you say it's not worth the extra 15%? Are there so many better alternatives at the same price point? Or it may be a better deal the SuSu MTM?

In Portugal there is no SuSu MTM, design your own suit is €399.

The Heat

Reaction score
Hi, need help with a fit check, mainly wondering about the jacket. This will be an interview/presentation suit, so I'm going for boring and classic. It looks long to me, but it passes the "finger cupping," "cover your butt," and "half way from top of jacket to floor" tests. Maybe I'm just too used to seeing trendy suits in ads?

I apologize for the poor quality photo, and please ignore the other problems (i.e. no shoes, shirt sleeves too long, etc).

cc808314

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those of you from NYC, where do you take your stuff for alterations? I have couple of SS suits coming in and another 10 or so pants that need to be altered. Being new to the city, I don't know any good tailors and don't want to take a chance.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads