• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

timotune

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You're already talking about completely different type of pieces of clothing. Washing, Lazio, Sienna are all quite different in style or lack of it. Without knowing too much about your situation, it does sound a little bit like you're simply looking for fits or pieces that might fit you without really considering the finer details of the garments. I've personally gone through a similar road back in the day, and unfortunately bought way too many crappy products. I'd highly suggest taking that train and starting by having a good basic suit made. Wear it for some time and you won't want to go back to SuitSupply anymore. The ease of ordering from SuSu is real, but don't make that a reason to buy less than mediocre products.

Thank you. :)

You know that Sauma & Suitsupply use the same (Chinese) maker for their mtm-stuff, don't you?

theplayerking

Reaction score
Not US-based, but I can strongly recommend the services provided in the SuSu store in Brussels. Great service and they've got a dedicated guy to their MTM-service who's very good and attentive.
The MTM work is usually done by a dedicated senior person, but the off-the-rack pinning is done by ordinary sales associates, many of whom are pretty inexperienced. I once had had an associate call a tailor out of the back room to learn how to pin a neck roll adjustment. I still recommend them, but they’re not going to intuitively nip and tuck like an old-school alterations tailor (who are quite hard to find anymore, even in New York). You need to do your homework and know what to ask for—but it’s like that at most places unless you go to Kiton or Oxxford.

Uunottaja

Reaction score

You know that Sauma & Suitsupply use the same (Chinese) maker for their mtm-stuff, don't you?

I didn't know it's the same one actually, but that wasn't the point really. In my opinion it's worth investing a couple hundred more and getting a fully-canvassed mtm option instead of an rtw SuSu that most likely will not fit you optimally and does not allow you to select the fabric or other details.

There's a million bad mtm services that won't achieve even what rtw SuSu does, this is true. If a talented tailor that knows his mtm product is available to you however, I'd definitely recommend it over rtw. This can even be SuSu mtm, I don't really care, as long as the person making the order properly understands tailoring and therefore will know what kind of adjustments to make to the measurements and the product after the fitting.

Of course, there's an optimal price point for everyone when it comes to their taste, requirements and the budget. That said, I've met a lot of people who later feel like they wasted their money buying SuitSupply, but I'm yet to find too many examples of discontent mtm customers who ordered from a good mtm service provider.

tl;dr: I'd recommend at least considering the alternatives to RTW, especially if a good mtm service is located near you.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're not wrong. But it's a simple fact that the basic SuSu models offer incredible value. I'd definitely go MTM before considering the Jort or La Spalla, though.

Trinh13715

Reaction score
Would anyone be willing to share their experience with SuitSupply's MTM program?? How was your service? Were you satisfied with the end product?

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would anyone be willing to share their experience with SuitSupply's MTM program?? How was your service? Were you satisfied with the end product?

I, too, would be interested in this. I was told by a CS rep that SuitSupply is scheduled for a store opening in Montreal next month (if all goes according to plans) and would like to experiment with their MTM program.

I am a big fellow and I certainly wouldn't want to end up with a (too) slim fashion-forward suit if the employee taking the messurements has "his" own idea of how a suit should fit (tainted by SuitSupply's mentality).

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not very satisfied to be honest. One suit was done well, the other one far worse than a RTW model, and after countless alterations they couldn't fix it and made another one which again fits worse than their RTW.

Their alterations were also extremely poorly done. They took in one side more than the other for example, causing the jacket hang unevenly. Seams weren't pressed. Took in the sleeve of a jacket and completely messed up the sleeve pitch. Their sales associates and tailors are not knowledgeable enough for MTM.

MTM only works well if RTW fits you well and you want very minor changes. Don't listen to the sales associates. One wanted to correct for a very minor dropped shoulder, seemed to look like he was doing, so I ok'd it. The shoulders on the finished jacket were completely off and look much worse than the try on model.

Last edited:

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^ I very strongly suspected this. SuSu also has some size discrepancies between its RTW models. In short, I've had great success with SuSu when I've been able to try something on personally before buying. I wouldn't trust them for a MTM suit that I'm essentially stuck with no matter how it turns out.

John L

Reaction score
I mean, you're MTM buying from an upscale (relative to H&M, Uniqlo, and the BR/Gap umbrella) fast fashion enterprise.

Take a breath and think about all that implies in the construction and attention to detail.

Rarely (and by this I mean 'never') do I find a fast fashion line that makes an entire line I can wear. Find out what fits you and what you like from a specific line -- maybe even purchase one full price *wince*-- and then snag them when the sales come around.

It's fast fashion, treat it like it is and not what you hope it to be.

cuponoodles

Reaction score

Like primarily all MTM/bespoke outposts, your satisfaction in terms of fit is 100% determined by the person doing your fitting and measurements. A great (or terrible) MTM varies even using the same person, not even with respect to different tailors, houses, or in alternate cities. I had a tux done several years ago (the associate has since moved on), and the jacket fits superbly. The pants, while not perfect, are pretty great for MTM (I am incredibly hard to fit and please in terms of trousers), and I'm reasonably happy with the purchase. Not perfect, but it has all the details I want/need in a tux (namely, traditional and not super-*******-huge lapels that the traditional OTR models had), and fits better than more traditionally altered garments do.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I mean, you're MTM buying from an upscale (relative to H&M, Uniqlo, and the BR/Gap umbrella) fast fashion enterprise.

Take a breath and think about all that implies in the construction and attention to detail.

This isn't a factor though. If a MTM product is coming out with significant flaws versus the RTW stuff then there is a problem. If you got a moldy hamburger from McDonalds you wouldn't say "Oh well, it's fast food." You'd send it back.

John L

Reaction score
This isn't a factor though. If a MTM product is coming out with significant flaws versus the RTW stuff then there is a problem. If you got a moldy hamburger from McDonalds you wouldn't say "Oh well, it's fast food." You'd send it back.
I mean, it's corporate expansiveness attempting to corner all markets. Much like any other corporate line, some stuff -- the stuff that gets paid attention to because they can move a lot of units -- is fine, but the stuff that doesn't get as much attention (maybe because they're moving fewer units) is not.

Are they incentivized to create a good MTM product over focusing on making a avg/decent RTW product?

Even if they are making RTW and MTM in the same place, wouldn't there be significant chain-of-communication discrepancies?

I think maybe you're creating a debate where there might not be one.

I think we both agree that getting MTM from a place like SuSu is risky business and should be tread carefully. SuSu is in the MTM business but probably shouldn't be, given the employee training investment that they might not be ready to make.

If I got a moldy hamburger from MickeyDees I would throw it in the trash and not go back -- sending back tainted meat for another would appear to be a risky proposition.

Lucky for me, all my MickeyDees product is "fresh" and tastes like Hanes socks -- so you know it's real.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know whether they should be in the MTM business or not, however, if they are going to be it should be of a reasonable quality. Incentivized or not, turning out a bad product, if indeed that is what is happening, is bad for brand and business. The thing is, you seemed to be saying that since SuSu is a fashion brand that we shouldn't expect reasonable results from MTM. That's just wrong any way you cut it. If that isn't what you were saying then we have no disagreement.

Monkeyface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know whether they should be in the MTM business or not, however, if they are going to be it should be of a reasonable quality. Incentivized or not, turning out a bad product, if indeed that is what is happening, is bad for brand and business. The thing is, you seemed to be saying that since SuSu is a fashion brand that we shouldn't expect reasonable results from MTM. That's just wrong any way you cut it. If that isn't what you were saying then we have no disagreement.

To give you an example, in the London store there's 3-4 full time guys for the measuring and fitting. They're always fully booked and you need to reserve a 1 hour slot at least a month in advance if not longer. Shows it's a considerable part of the business, and definitely bigger than some of the other bespoke/mtm operations.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Civil_style