• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

pomor

Reaction score

Hey @MrTopCat
, and @pomor
, yes, I do have this suit. It's kind of flannel-y but not properly thick. I can probably find out the weight if you'd like me to look inside? It's very soft indeed and fit me nicely off the rack without any adjustments required to the jacket. It's probably one of my favourite purchases as the jacket is so versatile.

And no I've not been on here much of late - I have many outfit combos that I could post on here but I won't be buying anything from suitsupply in a little while, mostly because I do have 4(!) new pieces that I need to get tailored and then I can show you those :)

Could you tell me if the trousers in this 3-piece have buttons for braces on the inside? These look very different than other Havana suit pants. They look more premium, like Jort's. I notice in the picture that the trousers have adjusters on the sides and a front pocket

fieldofdreams

Reaction score

Could you tell me if the trousers in this 3-piece have buttons for braces on the inside? These look very different than other Havana suit pants. They look more premium, like Jort's. I notice in the picture that the trousers have adjusters on the sides and a front pocket

That suit comes with Brentwood trousers. I don't believe they have brace buttons.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So my new Washington half came back from the tailor. Only had to get the sleeves shortened. It is a decent fit for the most part, but that shoulder divot is annoying. More so considering my 94 Sienna fit perfectly in the shoulder. I'll try a 90 the next time I am in a store, but I suspect it will result in an overly tight fit everywhere else.

Uunottaja

Reaction score

So my new Washington half came back from the tailor. Only had to get the sleeves shortened. It is a decent fit for the most part, but that shoulder divot is annoying. More so considering my 94 Sienna fit perfectly in the shoulder. I'll try a 90 the next time I am in a store, but I suspect it will result in an overly tight fit everywhere else.
I suggest going straight for mtm, for example Sauma has a campaign starting soon. You'll save up in the long run and feel a lot better about yourself, guaranteed. :satisfied:

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that. It's definitely something I've been considering. If the Lazios I ordered don't work out, I'll be on the next train to Helsinki.

Uunottaja

Reaction score

Yeah, I saw that. It's definitely something I've been considering. If the Lazios I ordered don't work out, I'll be on the next train to Helsinki.

You're already talking about completely different type of pieces of clothing. Washing, Lazio, Sienna are all quite different in style or lack of it. Without knowing too much about your situation, it does sound a little bit like you're simply looking for fits or pieces that might fit you without really considering the finer details of the garments. I've personally gone through a similar road back in the day, and unfortunately bought way too many crappy products. I'd highly suggest taking that train and starting by having a good basic suit made. Wear it for some time and you won't want to go back to SuitSupply anymore. The ease of ordering from SuSu is real, but don't make that a reason to buy less than mediocre products.

Thank you. :)

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually have a pretty good idea of what I want: decent length (2016 is apparently a great time to be a short guy), slim fit, notch lapels, semi-structured shoulders, low button stance and patch pockets. Pleated trousers with side adjusters would also be nice. Unfortunately SuSu doesn't offer all of this in one fit, so one has to compromise - but this is to be expected given their prices. Of course MTM is better but I'm happy to live with those compromises if I can achieve a decent fit with some basic alterations.

And yeah, the convenience of SuSu is quite seductive. I hate interacting with salespeople, and taking the train from Tampere is a huge pain **********. Anyway, one of my Lazios will arrive today so let's see what tomorrow brings.

Just as an aside: I've been reading your blog for some time now. It's pretty good.

Last edited:

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I know; I own a Sienna as well. I don't particularly care for it. I bought the Washington because I prefer a structured shoulder and because it is slightly longer than the other models.

mbaltazar

Reaction score

You're already talking about completely different type of pieces of clothing. Washing, Lazio, Sienna are all quite different in style or lack of it. Without knowing too much about your situation, it does sound a little bit like you're simply looking for fits or pieces that might fit you without really considering the finer details of the garments. I've personally gone through a similar road back in the day, and unfortunately bought way too many crappy products. I'd highly suggest taking that train and starting by having a good basic suit made. Wear it for some time and you won't want to go back to SuitSupply anymore. The ease of ordering from SuSu is real, but don't make that a reason to buy less than mediocre products.

Thank you. :)

I don't understand your need to bash SuSu. You've been on that road with mediocre quality and your share of "dubious" fits.

SuSu, like it or not is probably the best value for money suit OTR. Period.

MTM is better? It depends. Depends essentially on the outcome, and it depends also on your wish to pay a premium for something that it's not that premium.

Remember MTM is not bespoke. It's just a personalized OTR garment.

Back in the early '90s, when I started wearing suits, nobody liked pleats, or overly structured shoulders. But that was fashion back in the day. No choice.
Then came suits as we now them today. And today we go back to and want that "vintage" styling... Until the next fashionable look takes over.

It seems something new, well it's not.

Personally I hate pleats, I hate overly large trousers, I hate extra long jackets, I hate over dimensioned lapels, I hate those rounded notch lapels.

Even with SuSu, a decent fit is a matter of knowing which size to buy and which alterations to do.

So, I honestly don't also understand the button stance or the jacket length issues. Your "normal size in regular doesn't work? Try to size up a number, or try a long. A "vintage look" extra long jacket doesn't make anyone looks good. A huge torso, and shorty legs? Naaa.

Size adjusters? Yeah, they look good. Ever tried? They add zero in functionality to the average joe.

I only have bespoke and SuSu suits. The SuSu's are pure functional beaters. I have no love for them. I wear suits everyday, travel a lot internationally, they go in suit cases, planes, get pressed often, get in suitcases again, another plane and onto another country or back home. They handle it quite good.

Fit and look is better than 98% of any other guy you see out there. Price? Unbeatable.

My Bespokes, aren't that different than my beaters, but only better. In Portugal I can get a full bespoke starting at €1.400, from this point on the better cloth, the more expensive it goes.

Anyway, that doesn't make think that bespoke is the only thing I can get on. I'm also pretty happy with my mediocre SuSu's.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Yeah, I know; I own a Sienna as well. I don't particularly care for it. I bought the Washington because I prefer a structured shoulder and because it is slightly longer than the other models.

Is the length really that noticeable? I've tried on both models and thought that the difference in length must be very slight.

Michael81

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is slight. A 94 Sienna is 79cm's and a 94 Washington is 80. But as the photo I posted suggests, even 80cm's is a little short.

ShawnBC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Decided to try SuitSupply's trousers in various fits. Now, I know, according to multiple users in this thread and from personal experience, that SuitSupply trousers fit quite slim (and by "quite", I mean "a lot").

My one and only previous experience with SuitSupply's trousers: those that came with my tuxedo. With the regular drop (6), the trousers that came with the tuxedo jacket were appropriately good-fitting in the waist line (not too tight, but not loose either). Where things got bad was regarding seat, thighs and overall leg line. I remember having my tailor let out the whole seat and leg, up to the maximum allowance the extra fabric provided (there was a little more than usual, I think because it was a tuxedo - more formal).

Now, having that in mind, I ordered 3 trousers in the next size up. I figured I'd rather take in the waist than have to let out (up to a certain level) the seat and the whole leg.

(Keep in mind, I ain't no small person. I sit at 6' and 250 lbs in the present moment.)

I ordered the following trousers: dark grey Oak fit, light grey Porto fit and light grey Soho Slim fit.

The pair that offered the best fit was the Oak fit. The leg had more room, the seat was ok (could use some letting out but there was enough fabric allowance) and in general, I liked the styling (suspender buttons, button fly, side tabs, cuffs). Where they fell short is that they resulted in huge pocket flare. I don't think letting the seat open could alleviate this completely, so they were out.

Same thing (pocket flare) with the Soho Slim.

Things got messy with the Porto fit. Terrible fit. At this point, it's not slim anymore, it's legging-tight. I think the leg opening was the equivalent of my ankle circumference. You could see muscle "curves" (calves and thighs) through the fabric. No bueno. Still, the waist was a little loose. I don't understand where SuitSupply wants to go with this fit, nor the target audience - one would need a enormous waist : leg ratio to feel comfortable in it.

Nonetheless, I am a little bummed because these were the biggest size SuitSupply offered (44US). I fit great in their size 48 (Napoli) and 50 (the rest) jackets, but I am stuck to buying jackets only because the matching trousers are too tight.

I guess I'll to go to a big mall department store and find me some properly fitting trousers to send to Luxire. To my knowledge, there is no SF-approved company that supply RTW trousers for the bigger gents.

PS.: no photos, sorry.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members