• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Wess

Reaction score

1. Shorten sleeves 1/4 inch.
2. Put on sticks before taking a picture that's going to be posted to the internet.

Definitely don't shorten the sleeves. Those linen sleeves will wrinkle quite a bit, and the sleeve will end up just fine.

PapaRubbery

Reaction score
For those interested in teh navy double breasted number from SS, with the blue herringbone cloth, here is an in the wild shot - I bought it from the NYC store over xmas - didn't have a coat, and it served me well throughout the cold in NY and Vegas.

Canonguy77

Reaction score

The jacket looks too short from the front, but this isn't a problem as long as it covers your butt. Does it cover your butt? Also a contributing factor to this may be how low you are wearing your trousers, I'd recommend wearing them a bit higher so that the jacket doesn't as short.

If the jacket does not cover your butt (Even after wearing trousers higher up), I would personally pass on this suit as the short jacket trend is actually in decline, and will probably be gone soon. Making sure it covers your butt safeguards it throughout the trends as it is a traditional guideline that will stay regardless of what the latest trends are. I'm sure most people in the real world won't notice and will say "Nice suit" even if it is too short, but what really matters is if you are okay with knowing it is too short based on how a suit should really fit.

Going for a 40L could be a problem, as the sleeves may become too long to shorten (Unless shortened from the shoulder), but it's worth a try as the suit fits impeccably everywhere else (Seriously, the fit is spot-on).

Also I agree with fieldofdreams, the sleeves would need shortening by about 1/4 inch. You should also post fit-pics with a tie as we'll be able to see if there are any collar gap issues, but in your case I don't think there is.

I could have done a better job posing for critique. I'm fairly new to wearing suits and i'm still very much learning. That's why i'm here and i'm grateful to be receiving such wonderful advice from you folks. I put my camera on timer mode and in an attempt to get in the picture in time, my pants did sag a few inches. The jacket does actually cover my butt when i wear my pants at the proper height. I'm definitely calling this suit a keeper. It fits like a glove straight out of the box. Thanks!

Last edited:

stash

Reaction score
I could have done a better job posing for critique. I'm fairly new to wearing suits and i'm still very much learning. That's why i'm here and i'm grateful to be receiving such wonderful advice from you folks. I put my camera on timer mode and in an attempt to get in the picture in time, my pants did sag a few inches. The jacket does actually cover my butt when i wear my pants at the proper height. I'm definitely calling this suit a keeper. It fits like a glove straight out of the box. Thanks!
Congratulations you're #10,000 post

MrTopCat

Reaction score
Quote:

It does look wonderful, make sure it fits nicely in the back too.

As for @Wess' comment about not needing to shorten the sleeves, I don't have any experience with pure linen suits so I'd probably take his advice over mine, don't shorten the sleeves until the usual wrinkles have settled in. After that you could probably shorten them if they still need to be shortened.

And welcome to the forums!
smile.gif

Bureaucrat

Reaction score
So, I'm looking to buy my first SS suit sometime soon. I had a hit and miss with a Napoli last fall and I'm pretty sure that fit isn't for me (a sizedown might work but I'd rather try another fit). I'm looking for something that's versatile, either in Lazio or Havana.

I'd like to be able to wear the suit pretty much all year round, so the thickest fabrics are out of the question atm. Any suggestions?

I'm considering this Havana: http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/suits/havana-blue-plain/P3788.html?cgid=Suits
Do any of you have real life pics of the fabric? Looks extremely versatile.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
So, I'm looking to buy my first SS suit sometime soon. I had a hit and miss with a Napoli last fall and I'm pretty sure that fit isn't for me (a sizedown might work but I'd rather try another fit). I'm looking for something that's versatile, either in Lazio or Havana.

I'd like to be able to wear the suit pretty much all year round, so the thickest fabrics are out of the question atm. Any suggestions?

I'm considering this Havana: http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/suits/havana-blue-plain/P3788.html?cgid=Suits

Wouldn't you want something on the thicker side to wear year round in Helsink?

MrTopCat

Reaction score

"This Traveller fabric is made by Reda from 3-ply high twist yarn which results in a lightweight fabric that superbly resists wrinkling. Founded by Carlo Reda in the Italian Biella region, this mill has produced some of the highest quality wool fabrics in the world for nearly 150 years."

This fabric probably doesn't work as an all-year option, unless you don't mind layering up more than usual in winter.

This is probably a good option: http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/suits/lazio-blue-plain/P3911.html?cgid=Suits

Bureaucrat

Reaction score
^Thanks, I was actually looking at that too.

Well, I wear a suit very seldom, as I'm a student, so I don't mind being a little cold now and then. I've needed a suit around 5 times in the past 12 months. And one can easily get away with wearing something light-weight during winter (and possibly layering up), but one can't get away with wearing flannel when it's 25 degrees outside.

e.typo

Last edited:

Wess

Reaction score

I'm considering this Havana: http://eu.suitsupply.com/en/suits/havana-blue-plain/P3788.html?cgid=Suits

The fabric (and construction) is slightly more lightweight than regular Napoli suits, but I definitely wouldn't call it a summer suit. It does wear quite comfortable.

The fabric is pretty decent, but I personally think it doesn't drape that well. But maybe I just don't really like traveller suits in general.

Last edited:

Bureaucrat

Reaction score
^ Thanks for the input. Now I just need to decide between the Lazio and Havana. Maybe I'll order both and keep one.

Wess

Reaction score

^ Thanks for the input. Now I just need to decide between the Lazio and Havana. Maybe I'll order both and keep one. 

If a Napoli jacket was too roomy, you'll have better luck with a Lazio suit. I think the Havana is a bit too casual to be a very versatile suit. The suit MrTopCat posted is absolutely gorgeous, the color is perfect for an all-round suit and it has a very soft touch (in contrary to those traveller suits....).

Last edited:

clarinetplayer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why not order both of them? I bet you will keep both! :)

I used to think that the Havana was too casual. But, I've changed my mind. In a solid color, or subdued pattern, it looks quite dressy.

Pendulum

Reaction score

Why not order both of them? I bet you will keep both! :)

I used to think that the Havana was too casual. But, I've changed my mind. In a solid color, or subdued pattern, it looks quite dressy.

I think it entirely depends on the situation, I wouldn't wear it to an interview for example but I do wear it in navy as a work suit as an example.

riton

Reaction score
I don't see many new items, the collection this year actually seems less interesting than last years collection when I compare the suits. I guess we'll have to wait and see what they release throughout the rest of the season.

It arrived and it fits perfectly. It doesn't look as black as does it on the site. I also didn't need to size up for wearing a suit underneath.

The fabric is nice and thick, perfect for winter or late autumn/early spring (At least here in the UK).

Will post some pics the next time I wear it/try it on, far too hot in London at the moment.

Lucky find, I'd love to be able to buy one in my size, but my size seems to be extremely competitive since there is a high demand/low supply problem (size 32).

EDIT: Here's a pic of the coat under natural lighting for those that might be interested. (Angle is distorting proportions of the coat by a bit).

is it soft like wool flannel or rough/itchy to the touch ?

I received this waistcoat but the wool is too itchy. http://eu.suitsupply.com/fr/waistcoats/gilet-marron/W150211.html?cgid=Waistcoats

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads