• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrTopCat

Reaction score
Compared to their suits, coats and shirts ( to a lesser degree) the ties are pretty mediocre. I have about 5 I think, and I hardly wear them. First of all they are to slim for me ( that is a personal preference of course), secondly, they don't hold a knot very well, and it is almost impossible to get a decent dimple. My advice would be to spend a bit more and go for something from Exquisite Trimmings..

I have two Suitsupply ties, one of which knots beautifully and looks pretty great, holds the knot well too.

The other one knots terribly, the material is far too thick for a double four-in-hand knot and still looks bulky even with a single four-in-hand knot, but I like the colour and pattern so I guess I'll have to deal with it.

Oh and thanks for pointing me in the direction of Exquisite Trimmings, just purchased two handmade ties on sale (Drake's blue cashmere tie & Tie Your Tie brown silk tie) just for £91, which is about the same price as two/three of the Suitsupply ties (But far better in quality).

gentndubs

Reaction score
So, nobody has tried the Jort shirts? What about their "regular" Red Line shirts?

Thanks.

Later edit:

What type of shirts do you guys wear with SC? Do this type of shirt, without a tie, go with, let's say, a grey SC, or do you wear more casual shirts with a SC? What about with an even more casual SC, like this Havana jacket?

VincentVogan -- I've tried and own a number of their red line shirts. They fit very well, and are decent quality for the price. I've experienced buttons chipping before but am not sure if that has more to do with the dry cleaner vs. the quality of the shirt. All in all, given the price point, and depending on your frame, you're getting a great fitting shirt at a pretty good price.

As for what kind of shirt I wear with a sport coat, it depends on whether or not I'm going tieless. I tend to stay away from cutaway collars when I'm not wearing a tie since the end result looks as if the collar is getting lost within the insides of the jacket. To alleviate that concern, I generally like to where smaller point collar shirts that will look good unbuttoned and be less susceptible to pancaking. If I am wearing a tie, on the other hand, all bets are off. I love all kinds of collars including cutaways in such an instance. Just make sure your tie width is proportional to the collar type you choose, of course

VincentVogan

Reaction score
Thank you, CousinDonuts, emidyl and gentndubs for your answers - I appreciate them.

gentndubs: one more question related to the quality of the shirts: I see that the Jort shirts use Thomas Mason cotton, which I hear is very good quality. Is the 150 euros price tag worth it, in your opinion? Or should I look somewhere else for better shirts around this price?

Thanks.

fieldofdreams

Reaction score
Thank you, CousinDonuts, emidyl and gentndubs for your answers - I appreciate them.

gentndubs: one more question related to the quality of the shirts: I see that the Jort shirts use Thomas Mason cotton, which I hear is very good quality. Is the 150 euros price tag worth it, in your opinion? Or should I look somewhere else for better shirts around this price?

Thanks.

I'm not sure if you looked at shop the finest, but they have very nice shirts in that price range ($200). I don't know where you live, but if it happens to be Southern California, their warehouse is in west la. I don't think i would pay $200 for a suit supply shirt. It would have to be something I saw in store and, for one reason or another, had to have.

gentndubs

Reaction score

Thanks.

It's a bit hard for me to comment about prices in euros as I'm located in NYC and have a better understanding, of course, of what it's like to purchase in dollars (despite having lived in Europe for some time). At the current exchange rate, 150 euro comes out to around 170 dollars I believe, and the jort shirts in the US cost 200. 170 for Thomas mason fabric and a suit supply cut isn't terrible. If this price point isn't considered a splurge for you, then maybe you should give the jort shirt a shot? I myself would like to try one on and really see what it's like before I purchase a jort over the 100-150 dollar suitsupply shirts that I have plenty of.

As for another brand, I've heard pretty good things about proper cloth from people I trust. That could be a good route as well. Either way, it seems like your curiosity is piqued re the Jort shirt so might as well take it for a spin.

By the way -- while I think quality is important, I think people harp on quality over fit far too often on this board. I don't think quality differs ALL that much (depending on the price point, of course). Sure, I own plenty of suit supply shirts but also others from black label, charvet, and other more uncommon brands. Despite the wide perceived range of quality among these shirts, I maintain that fit by and large is the most important thing when choosing a shirt (particularly around the chest and shoulders). Just something to keep in mind.

VincentVogan

Reaction score
I'm not sure if you looked at shop the finest, but they have very nice shirts in that price range ($200). I don't know where you live, but if it happens to be Southern California, their warehouse is in west la. I don't think i would pay $200 for a suit supply shirt. It would have to be something I saw in store and, for one reason or another, had to have.

Thanks for your suggestion regarding www.shopatthefinest.com. I'm located in Europe, but even with shipping and VAT, they have better prices than if I had to buy them at their regular price.

It's a bit hard for me to comment about prices in euros as I'm located in NYC and have a better understanding, of course, of what it's like to purchase in dollars (despite having lived in Europe for some time). At the current exchange rate, 150 euro comes out to around 170 dollars I believe, and the jort shirts in the US cost 200. 170 for Thomas mason fabric and a suit supply cut isn't terrible. If this price point isn't considered a splurge for you, then maybe you should give the jort shirt a shot? I myself would like to try one on and really see what it's like before I purchase a jort over the 100-150 dollar suitsupply shirts that I have plenty of.

As for another brand, I've heard pretty good things about proper cloth from people I trust. That could be a good route as well. Either way, it seems like your curiosity is piqued re the Jort shirt so might as well take it for a spin.

By the way -- while I think quality is important, I think people harp on quality over fit far too often on this board. I don't think quality differs ALL that much (depending on the price point, of course). Sure, I own plenty of suit supply shirts but also others from black label, charvet, and other more uncommon brands. Despite the wide perceived range of quality among these shirts, I maintain that fit by and large is the most important thing when choosing a shirt (particularly around the chest and shoulders). Just something to keep in mind.

ProperCloth.com has some very, very nice fabrics - thank you for the suggestion!

To be honest, I'm very unexperienced when it comes to shirts, so I think that I'll try both SuSu shirts and a few from ProperCloth.com to make up my mind. I'll give shopatthefinest.com a try, too.

However, I think I'd like to see the shirts in person, so I'll be traveling to Milan in the next few months. I hear there are many outlets there, so maybe I'll find something comparable to www.shopatthefinest.com, but in a brick-and-mortar location.

Thanks a million for your reply.

ferdsje

Reaction score

By the way -- while I think quality is important, I think people harp on quality over fit far too often on this board. I don't think quality differs ALL that much (depending on the price point, of course). Sure, I own plenty of suit supply shirts but also others from black label, charvet, and other more uncommon brands. Despite the wide perceived range of quality among these shirts, I maintain that fit by and large is the most important thing when choosing a shirt (particularly around the chest and shoulders). Just something to keep in mind.

I bought two jort shirts from the winter/ fall collection. I found them to be similar to the red line 99 Euro shirts, wich also features the spalla camicia napolitana. They feature also hand made details (like button holes or MOP buttons) and more space for the watch in the left hand. You might consider that the cut of those shirts is xtreme slim fit, what makes the shirt more tight than regular or slim fit cut.

Overall, i'm very satisfied with my purchase. The quality of the cotton is excelent, and the extra slim plus the spalla camicia gives it a fantastic look.

On the other hand, I found the jort collection a little overpriced, and for that amount of money you might have very good MTM options.

VincentVogan

Reaction score
@ferdsje: you're right: after looking at other offerings, I think 150 for a Jort shirt is too much. I do think that there are some 99 euros shirts that are very nice and that might be worth the money.

Anyway, I've perused the propercloth.com website for a few hours now, and I was meaning to ask you guys this: what is your (subjective, of course) thread count limit for a business casual/casual shirt?

This is the impression I got after looking at a few fabrics: if the fabric features a solid color, then a lower thread count is necessary because a 140 thread count makes it look too formal. So something like 100 or even 80 is enough.

If, however, it has a more casual pattern, such as this checked one, a high thread count of 140 will not make it look too formal to wear it at a bar, for example.

What do you think? I don't think I'm being too pedantic about it, to be honest. I just don't want to end up looking too formal for the environment I'm in.

gentndubs

Reaction score
@ferdsje: you're right: after looking at other offerings, I think 150 for a Jort shirt is too much. I do think that there are some 99 euros shirts that are very nice and that might be worth the money.

Anyway, I've perused the propercloth.com website for a few hours now, and I was meaning to ask you guys this: what is your (subjective, of course) thread count limit for a business casual/casual shirt?

This is the impression I got after looking at a few fabrics: if the fabric features a solid color, then a lower thread count is necessary because a 140 thread count makes it look too formal. So something like 100 or even 80 is enough.

If, however, it has a more casual pattern, such as this checked one, a high thread count of 140 will not make it look too formal to wear it at a bar, for example.

What do you think? I don't think I'm being too pedantic about it, to be honest. I just don't want to end up looking too formal for the environment I'm in.
Vincent -- You're overthinking this!! I really don't think you should worry so much about thread count. Sure, you want to have a good quality shirt, but even if you're going past 100 (which is a good number) to get into the upper echelon 140 level, that doesn't necessarily mean it's "too formal" to wear in any particular setting. I would say that depends more on what you're wearing with the shirt. If you're at the office and don't want to look "too formal" then play with textures. Toss on a wool tie with an interesting pattern to tone down the perceived formality of whatever kind of shirt you're wearing, or in the summer months go with a cotton or silk knit tie. If you're at the bar tone down a more formal shirt with a cardigan, some washed jeans, and sneakers, or whatever else suits your style.

Bottom line, don't worry so much about thread count. If you ever think of something as being "too formal" you can always tone down the formality by wearing it with "less formal" pieces. I wouldn't, of course, recommend showing up to the bar with a bib front French cuffed white shirt.

novaeagle

Reaction score
Will SuitSupply allow you to purchase a suit that does not have a 6" drop if you purchase online? I.e., go through customer service and request a 38 jacket but 30 pants for a particular model?

This is the only thing that holds me back from purchasing, tbh.

MrTopCat

Reaction score
Will SuitSupply allow you to purchase a suit that does not have a 6" drop if you purchase online? I.e., go through customer service and request a 38 jacket but 30 pants for a particular model?

This is the only thing that holds me back from purchasing, tbh.

Only possible with two Napoli suits.

http://eu.suitsupply.com/on/demandware.store/Sites-INT-Site/en_GB/Link-Product?pid=p1104-S

http://eu.suitsupply.com/en_GB/suits/p1105-separates/p1105-S.html

Your choices are to either go MtM or find a brand which does separates if you want something else.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads