• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit Tailor - Melbourne, Australia

bckchambers

Reaction score
Hi gang, Thought I might contribute a few thoughts, especially given it's clearance season. I'm 6', have a fairly long torso but not out of proportion to my lower-half, with about a 40" chest. I work in litigation but spend a great deal of my day getting up and sitting back down in my chair = wear and tear. For these standard days I look for a fairly robust, classically shaped (but certainly not dated) cut, a utility suit in a Super 100's fabric. For my shape, and because the cut and fabrics appeal, I'm keen on Gieves & Hawkes OTR, Zegna OTR and Durban OTR. If you're in Melbourne, you'll probably already know that these are DJ's staples. The guys on the DJ's floor that have been there for some years recommend Boss and Anthony Squires in the same class as Zegna and Durban OTR. I still wear a heavy, beautiful and classic Louis Feraud OTR suit I purchased at DJ's 12 years ago - Feraud though seems to have dropped off the map which is a shame. Dj's really do have a great OTR range. I've never had a Boss suit (I believe they now enjoy a good reputation. However some years ago, around their separation from Strellson, I heard Boss had some quality and cut issues). I have though had had an Anthony Squires. At more or less the same price as the Squires, my low-end Zegna employed a better cloth, cut and construction than the Squires. I haven't had a Squires nor been enthusiastic about their fit on my shape, or their cloths, since. I notoriously wear through the seat of my trousers as I don't properly rotate my utility suits. The Zegna trousers delivered more life than the Squires' when worn for a comparative length of time by me. All the above names have their fabrics cut by a computer-driven laser and are fused. They are though hand finished. They're good RTW suits especially when bought for 30 or 40% off at clearance. I enjoy wearing them and I'm enthusiastic about them. I guess the point of this narrative is that I wouldn't spend much more than $1,200 for a utility (every day) OTR suit. I certainly wouldn't pay $2,500 or more for an OTR Zegna, even when it's presented in a beautiful Zegna Super 120's+ cloth. And I definitely wouldn't expect to find a good bespoke suit in this price area. For a suit above this grade, something to wear once a weak or for special occasions, I spend a little more and properly go bespoke. My tailor of choice is Charles Maimone in Crossley Street. A very unassuming shop front cloaks a superb craftsman. Maimone's suits start at about $3,000. This is a big ask for many men. However once you've had a suit hand-made for you in a choice cloth, it's hard to go back. And ask anyone who's had a suit handmade in Melbourne and even beyond - Maimone is the tailor of choice. I haven't had a suit made by Adriano Carbone, however I'm sure the satisfaction and pride in the finished product is similar to Maimone's. Carbone rates highly in these fora. Either way, it's in a bespoke suit that I feel a million dollars and have have experienced true craftsmanship. So be careful spending too much more than, say, $1,200 on a non-bespoke suit. Invest a little more and you'll experience what it's like to turn heads... And the famous question "what are you wearing today?": Zengna loafers, a Gieves & Hawkes light grey stripe two-button suit; Herringbone double-cuff shirt Zegna tie It's good to be alive :)

ricotta

Reaction score
just passed by Adriano's today to have a talk with the guy and see the place. he seems like a capable tailor, clearly a very good communicator. his website doesn't do him justice.

my only qualm now: is $2000 a lot for a suit with two pairs of pants?

AndrewRogers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ricotta
just passed by Adriano's today to have a talk with the guy and see the place. he seems like a capable tailor, clearly a very good communicator. his website doesn't do him justice.

my only qualm now: is $2000 a lot for a suit with two pairs of pants?

No, it's a bargain, depending on how it's made. Do it.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AndrewRogers
No, it's a bargain, depending on how it's made. Do it.

That is a bargain. Adriano has a very good reputation as a very fine tailor. I agree, for that price, go for it.

ricotta

Reaction score
thanks guys. i got the suit two weeks ago and have worn it twice so far. Adriano did mention $2000 wasn't what he normally charged, and counted myself quite lucky. the jacket fits better than any other jacket i currently have. the chest is fused, but i'm told fully-canvassed would've set me back quite a bit more. the gorge is a bit low, and the armholes are a bit large (i try not to raise my arms too much). the pants are cut well, but i'm still getting used to the narrow cut. anyway, i'll post pics up once i get a chance.

meanwhile, i'm looking to get another suit.. Adriano seems busy this time of year, so i'm thinking of OTR this time. is AU$3600 (US$3300) a lot to pay for a Castangia with two pairs of pants and alterations?

Wrigglez

Reaction score
^^^ i want pictures please!!!
btw $2000 with two pairs of pants is VERy cheap. he does half fused half floating from what he told me for cheaper garments.

oarsejk

Reaction score
On the topic of suits in Melbourne - can anyone reccommend a good place to clean/press a suit?

ricotta

Reaction score
guys, i'm gonna hold off on the pics of the Adrioano Carbone suit - there were some things i weren't happy about that i'd rather get fixed before i go misrepresenting anyone's work.

now.. i'm now trying to decide whether to get a suit made with Nicolini or Maimone. thoughts?

a few posts back there were mentions of "round lapel, low gorge" stylings so i plan on explicitly asking for something a little sharper. i'm more curious about workmanship - i've heard that pants don't come out so well from one and shoulders are a bit unusual from another (from other tailors, so who knows).

__PG__

Reaction score
Originally Posted by ricotta
meanwhile, i'm looking to get another suit.. Adriano seems busy this time of year, so i'm thinking of OTR this time. is AU$3600 (US$3300) a lot to pay for a Castangia with two pairs of pants and alterations?
Is that from American Tailors?

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am an international business man and travel the world for 8 months of the year for work. I travel to warm climates but also to cold climates. I needed suits that fit me well but also travelled well , non crease. At the same time needed suits that would breath in the hot climates like Dubai, but also keep me warm in the cool climates of Canada.

Whilst on a business trip to Melbourne I was recommended to Germanicos bespoke tailors from the concierge at the Windsor hotel where I was staying. He said they were they best in the country and the service would be exceptional.

I only had time for a few fittings in Melbourne, then the suits and shirts were finished and shipped to me in São Paolo Brazil for free!

The fit was immaculate and the style and fabric amazing, they even embroidered inside the suit (warm) for the hot climates and (cold) for the colder climates to help me when packing.

The service from John and Michael was exceptional, and we have built a great rapport.

I highly recommend GERMANICOS (tailor.com.au) to anyone who expects nothing but the best even in value.

Great job!

:spam:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads