• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suit fir advice - ok or too small??

MK81

Reaction score
I'm looking for a suit for weddings/ job interviews/work. This one can be had at a bargain price but my mom thinks it's too small - jacket too short, etc. Looks fine to me, excepts pants a bit tight in the butt. Your thoughts?

suitxcf.png

suitxcf.png

suitxcf.png

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, it fits you pretty well actually! Grab it at the bargain price.:nodding:

Your mom has reservations about it because she’s likely accustomed to jackets being longer than this, and in the past, they always were. But this length is the modern standard for younger men (under 40 give or take).

This is a good first suit for you at a good price. Take it. Then have a tailor shorten the trousers. :fonz:

PS And get new shoes too. :oops:

MK81

Reaction score
Thanks Veremund, it's decided - I'm keeping it. Actually, when I showed my mom some photos of suits from the web she came around and admitted it's the style nowadays as opposed to baggier pants & longer coats in the past.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Although this may be the current style, what bugs me the most about this suit is that you will pretty much always be able to see a shirt triangle and tie peeking out between the jacket's buttoning point and the waistband of your trousers. Also FYI don't button the bottom button on the jacket.

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What bugs me the most about this suit is that you will pretty much always be able to see a shirt triangle and tie peeking out between the jacket's buttoning point and the waistband of your trousers.

True, which is why ties must always be worn at the proper length. :nodding:
21686DDA-A002-45BB-80B0-4D137533CAA7.jpeg

Alpha11

Reaction score
I guess my question would be in regards to the fit is: what did your tailor say about the fit?

You saved some money when you got the suit, now take the money saved and put it in your tailoring.

toplel

Reaction score
The fit is fine, not too small at all.

The #1 thing that suit needs is to be pressed. If it's in your budget have a professional do it, otherwise be careful, depending on material put a towel between the suit & the iron.

If there is more $ in the budget and you really care about how you'll look, you can get it tailored. The pants are a little long & you should show a sliver of shirt cuff when standing.

When sitting jacket is unbuttoned, when standing only the top button is fastened.

Show us a "final" pic :)

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Veremund, it's decided - I'm keeping it.

The #1 thing that suit needs is to be pressed.
If there is more $ in the budget and you really care about how you'll look, you can get it tailored. Show us a "final" pic :)

True. Get that suit pressed and the trousers shortened. These are not optional, they’re mandatory. It’s the difference between looking good and looking like a kid in dad’s suit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads