• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Suggest first American-made raw denim jeans

dawgvet

Reaction score
I am interested in trying my first raw denim jeans and would like American-made jeans made from White Oak Cone Mills denim selvedge made on the old shuttle looms. I do not want a 'fashion' jean, just a classic straight leg dark indigo jean, basically like Levi's 505s.
I am not wanting jeans to look 'hip' or fashion-forward. Actually like basic retro-classic, traditional American jeans.
Just started reading about American-made denim and Cone Mills old shuttle looms and thought that would be neat as I grew up in a small southern town whose main employer was a denim mill for almost 90 years.
I would like to keep price as low as possible but realize this denim doesn't come cheap.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Jed

dawgvet

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Both Flint and Tinder and Gustin were out of stock in my size. I wear a 34 inseam but all Flint and Tinder make are 32" inseam. How weird.
Any other suggestions along those lines?

Austin Tremblay

Reaction score
Raleigh Denim makes fantastic jeans. They're much pricier than Gustin, since they're sold at true retail prices. But sometimes you can find them on sale. I think their default inseam is 34". It's sanforized denim, but so is the denim Gustin uses.

DC Office Hack

Reaction score
Try Bonobos next, although Bonobos selvege costs a good bit more. I like Gustin and Flint/Tinder because of the high quality and low prices. Gustin was my intro to selvege. Personally, I'm not sure what difference selvege makes, but I have no doubt that Cone's fabric is superior to any other I've worn. Is that because it's selvege? I don't know. I like it, though.

If you're willing to spend $200 and above, my favorite for old school looks is Imogene + Willie (http://www.imogeneandwillie.com/. There's also Levi's LVC. Now, what I can't explain is why Imogene + Willie/LVC charge $250 for what Gustin sells for $81. What's the difference? OK, LVC's trading on archival cuts, which is cool. The fit had better be damned good.

If you're not willing to blow $250, wait for Gustin to offer something you're interested in.

Austin Tremblay

Reaction score
Personally, I'm not sure what difference selvege makes, but I have no doubt that Cone's fabric is superior to any other I've worn. Is that because it's selvege? I don't know. I like it, though.

"Selvege" simply means that the jeans were sewn on a shuttle loom, an old machine that makes a cleaner edge. If you cuff, or "stack," the jeans, selvage looks better, but it doesn't necessarily imply quality or durability. The White Cone denim, in my biased North Carolinian-born opinion, is so good because they've been perfecting their craft for such a long time, and they have a long history of creating durable, good looking denim. It's the only denim I'll wear.

A lot of people here like the brand APC as well. I don't know anything about them, except I see a lot of chatter about their jeans.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads