• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Striped suits appropriate for interviews?

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What's your maximum budget?

I really detest those older Oxxford notches. And the fits can really be a hit or miss, the older it gets.

docgerrard

Reaction score

Given no context, I'm sure you know what you're doing and it'll be fine.

applying for residency in the medical field, sorry i didn't even realize interviewing for specific fields made a difference lol, i am just starting to attempt to dress nice

A new one or this second hand thing?

this is a second hand suit on ebay, i'd be willing to go new or second hand

What's your maximum budget? 

I really detest those older Oxxford notches. And the fits can really be a hit or miss, the older it gets. 

max would probably be 400-500 tailored, still a student :/

Thanks!

thegreatgatsby

Reaction score
If you're a traditionalist - pinstripes are for bankers.

A solid navy or solid grey cloth would work much, much better.

Yes - the field you're endeavoring, the point you're at in your career, etc. - these kinds of things matter very much when it comes to selecting the proper interview clothes.

I would also avoid buying a used suit for a job interview. It's like wearing a second hand tuxedo to your own wedding. The suit you're looking at may be in "excellent pre-owned condition," but it has another man's energy, and possibly another man's sweat and urine.

It's more psychological than anything else: wear a new, fresh garment for that first impression.

Last edited:

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, at 400$-500$ you have A LOT of better looking options than that Oxxford. I'm guessing that you're somewhere between 38-40?

I'd probably just check out Suitsupply first. Great return policy, so you can pretty much try 'til you find the right one there, if you don't have any stores around you.

Other than that, you could always find some pretty staple (used) Canali, Corneliani, Caruso and Zegna suits

docgerrard

Reaction score

If you're a traditionalist - pinstripes are for bankers.

A solid navy or solid grey cloth would work much, much better.

Yes - the field you're endeavoring, the point you're at in your career, etc. - these kinds of things matter very much when it comes to selecting the proper interview clothes.

I would also avoid buying a used suit for a job interview. It's like wearing a second hand tuxedo to your own wedding. The suit you're looking at may be in "excellent pre-owned condition," but it has another man's energy, and possibly another man's sweat and urine.

It's more psychological than anything else: wear a new, fresh garment for that first impression.

hmm any thoughts on where to get a good new suit in that price range? or should i just go to a department store and maybe get a subpar quality but excellent fit?

Well, at 400$-500$ you have A LOT of better looking options than that Oxxford. I'm guessing that you're somewhere between 38-40? 

I'd probably just check out Suitsupply first. Great return policy, so you can pretty much try 'til you find the right one there, if you don't have any stores around you. 

Other than that, you could always find some pretty staple (used) Canali, Corneliani, Caruso and Zegna suits 

suit supply may be a bit above my range :/ being $500 without any tailoring, and i'm probably more accurately between 36-38, have a 38R that first me reasonably well but shoulders do look a little too big for me. so I would need a good amount of tailoring done i think

i will check out those brands though!

thegreatgatsby

Reaction score
Where are you located?

Yoox.com has an amazing and wide selection of suits. You can get (consistently) 60% off retail price.

And suits - if they're neutrals or solids - don't go out of style (so - who cares if it's from "last season?"). Always buy a 2 button front with a notch lapel (single breasted).

You can search on Yoox by color, and - in many cases - by material.

If you're in a major city - there is MySuit. The quality is mid-range (it's made in Mexico), but it's "made to measure." You'll get a decent fit, and you can pick from a number of fabrics. It's in your price range, and it makes for a good starter suit. Again, don't do anything bold - go with navy or dark gray. Don't get a ticket pocket. Don't get a pattern.

You're not going to be wearing the suit a ton - so it doesn't matter if the chest piece is fused or canvassed [and modern fusing techniques are nearly as good as canvassing anyway].

The most expensive suit I've ever owned - a cashmere Brioni suit - wore out in three years [which is not a particularly good value].

So - yes, buy off the rack. Go to Woodbury Commons if you live in New York or Connecticut.

All that really matters is:

The suit is neutral

The suit fits you well (do NOT go for the skinny look that has been popular) and allows for freedom of movement

The shoes, socks and belt complement the suit well {or each other, at least}

You have a good tailor

docgerrard

Reaction score

Where are you located?

Yoox.com has an amazing and wide selection of suits. You can get (consistently) 60% off retail price.

And suits - if they're neutrals or solids - don't go out of style (so - who cares if it's from "last season?"). Always buy a 2 button front with a notch lapel (single breasted).

You can search on Yoox by color, and - in many cases - by material.

If you're in a major city - there is MySuit. The quality is mid-range (it's made in Mexico), but it's "made to measure." You'll get a decent fit, and you can pick from a number of fabrics. It's in your price range, and it makes for a good starter suit. Again, don't do anything bold - go with navy or dark gray. Don't get a ticket pocket. Don't get a pattern.

You're not going to be wearing the suit a ton - so it doesn't matter if the chest piece is fused or canvassed [and modern fusing techniques are nearly as good as canvassing anyway].

The most expensive suit I've ever owned - a cashmere Brioni suit - wore out in three years [which is not a particularly good value].

So - yes, buy off the rack. Go to Woodbury Commons if you live in New York or Connecticut.

All that really matters is:

The suit is neutral

The suit fits you well (do NOT go for the skinny look that has been popular) and allows for freedom of movement

The shoes, socks and belt complement the suit well {or each other, at least}

You have a good tailor

No mysuit or woodbury commons in my area sadly

yoox has tons of stuff but its a lot of brands i have never heard of?

i don't know much about socks, if i have a navy suit, and going to wear allen edmonds mcallister shoes in merlot/burgundy, what color socks would go with that?

thegreatgatsby

Reaction score
Use the K I S S method: Keep It Simple Stupid

Don't worry about brands. Just follow the basic rules for your interview suit.

Same with socks. Keep it simple.

Brands should not come into the equation here.

As has been said for hundreds of years: The best dressed man is the one whose clothes go unremarked.

Last edited:

kalare

Reaction score
You can usually pick up half canvassed Hickey Freeman suits at Nordstrom Rack for around $400. More important than brand and/or construction at this point is fit however. A crappy brand/construction suit that fits you better will look better than an expensive suit that fits you like a sack. My wife is a doctor, and as such I hang around a lot of medical folk. Most likely nobody will notice what fabric you're wearing or how the lapels are stitched, but they will notice an ill fitting garment. Go to a men's warehouse, macy's, Nordstrom Rack and try on some things. Stay away from super slim anything, short jackets and skinny lapels (avoid skinny ties too...stay at least 3" wide), as these are more trend and for an interview it's always best to go conservative and classic. A nice grey, charcoal or navy will be a good workhorse suit for the future, pin stripes will make you look like a banker.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads