• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***Story Et Fall Thread***

Fycus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the last is a little bit larger in the story et fall boots from what ive seen, and the sole looks a little bit more substantial. The margiela zips have a tiny forefoot which usually allows people to size up. The last tends to look a little dresser on the story et fall due to the pointy toe, but that usually depends on the model being compared (margiela has several that look a different). IMHO just compare the model you are looking at vs what is being purchased and you should be able to make a choice.

canstyleace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
imho mmm sidezips are very comfortable and versatile, they look good with denim or slacks without any dadcore vibes like alden or similar brands, only thing is the toebox gets scratched a bit since the sole is pretty much flush with the toebox, soles are also a bit thin but its part of their sleekness

looking at the SeF pics I can see the soles look a bit thicker and extend beyond the toebox, this can be a good thing in the sense that the toebox has more protection or space before it scratches, or a bad thing in the sense that they'll look less sleek or dressier by comparison to mmm's

I'm gonna try some out in suede and report back but at this point I'm not even in line yet, somebody should tell this Lian dude to become an affiliate and host this thread, at those prices if they're any good he could reach toj levels and open his own restaurant soon

Last edited:

wzjradam

Reaction score

imho mmm sidezips are very comfortable and versatile, they look good with denim or slacks without any dadcore vibes like alden or similar brands, only thing is the toebox gets scratched a bit since the sole is pretty much flush with the toebox, soles are also a bit thin but its part of their sleekness

looking at the SeF pics I can see the soles look a bit thicker and extend beyond the toebox, this can be a good thing in the sense that the toebox has more protection or space before it scratches, or a bad thing in the sense that they'll look less sleek or dressier by comparison to mmm's

I'm gonna try some out in suede and report back but at this point I'm not even in line yet, somebody should tell this Lian dude to become an affiliate and host this thread, at those prices if they're any good he could reach toj levels and open his own restaurant soon

:rotflmao:

..but tru

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Err if you have the cemented ones you know the shape already..

MMM's cemented construction is a tad different to most, they pull the uppers underneath the insole, rather then just cementing where they join. MMM lasts are more like slim carpe diem in my opinion, at least that was my old MMM boots. They have heaps of lasts, the leathers are nice but construction is average. They are super super comfortable though. MMM is nice for say 250 to 300 dollars, I wouldn't be paying RRP which is crazy these days.

The cemented ones haven't lasted long for me, chalk that up to the weather where I reside.

I'm going to order two pairs of black welted side zips pretty soon, black heavy calf.

Also I asked lian about the boots having a wood sole and he said that's incorrect, its Argentinian and Italian leather.

stafa

Reaction score
I did mention this thread to Lian, but he wants to keep his service and communication a bit more personal. I don't think he is interested in aggressive growth at this time.

bdeuce22

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I did mention this thread to Lian, but he wants to keep his service and communication a bit more personal. I don't think he is interested in aggressive growth at this time.

Definitely not the worst thing in the world.

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

@tgaith77, I would assume the "sleek vs chunky" stems from comparing them to mmm sidezips, where the mmm's last doesnt extend beyond the toebox and the story et fall last does, as seen in the posted pics here

other than that the last also seems to sharply squared at the edges giving it a slightly more chunky look as opposed to the mmm's last which is kind of rounded off at the edges which looks sleeker

these are just my assumptions from comparing my own mmm's with the posted pics so best to listen to redo or razele on this point

Having owned both, I think it's the chunkier sole and the slightly more "bubbled" toebox that make them look a little bit more substantial and slightly less sleek than MMMs

How is everybody sizing these? Especially the people that have already received them?
I'm a US12, which would be a 45, but in the sizing chart i appear to be a 46-46.5. Lian advised me to go with a 45 though, I want to trust him but also don't want something too small.

I sized down 1 (from 43 to 42), and I think it was a good choice. I wear 42 in most brands or styles that run large, and I have shorter/wider feet

@reedobandito
 POST PICS

Haha sorry I left them at the GFs place but I will shortly!

Hi all, just discovered this thread. I received a pair of the cemented side zips in black calf leather a while ago, but I sold them and ordered the exact same pair in GY welted. I should receive the new pair sometime in February. Can anyone who owns MMM sidezips compare them further in terms of last/shape/quality? Before I discovered this brand I really wanted to get a pair of the famous MMM sidezips. I am considering purchasing a pair of black MMM sidezips (FW13), but I feel like it would be a little redundant as I already have a pair of side zips on order from Lian. Or I could purchase both and then keep the one I like the best... Any advice? @Razele
 @reedobandito
 @canstyleace
 @cyc wid it

I bought I pair of MMM sidezips from I think F/W '13 and the quality was awful, I posted a review of them several months ago. These appear to be much higher quality imo

Haha yea he actually ended up emailing me and addressing my review from here, he very politely corrected me about my erroneous assumption about the sole (the material does sort of look like wood, but I guess I didn't observe super closely).

I'm strongly considering getting a pair of the white sneakers. Anyone order them yet? Is the wait march/april for them as well? Not sure if I should get a 9 or a 10

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The owner said he'd e-mail me when he started putting together the March order. I haven't been asked to provide any details or money yet. YMMV.

The construction and "quality" of MMM sidezips varies wildly it seems from iteration to iteration. No complaints with mine, which I've topied.

Last edited:

reedobandito

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The owner said he'd e-mail me when he started putting together the March order. I haven't been asked to provide any details or money yet. YMMV.

The construction and "quality" of MMM sidezips varies wildly it seems from iteration to iteration. No complaints with mine, which I've topied.

Yea, someone said the pair I got happened to be just an exceptionally bad model, but for $900 shoes, there should be no "bad run" ever haha

nineohtoo

Reaction score
Some guy from reddit posted photos of his cemented chelsea boots here.

And then these were found here:

nineohtoo

Reaction score
Lian sent me a photo of my incoming boots and a photo of some suede zip boots because I asked if one was ordered. The vamp and foot opening don't look nearly as big as they do on the photos of regular calf. Now I wish I ordered zip boots instead of chelsea boots :brick:

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't really like how those ripples on the welt (is there a technical term for them?) are so noticeable on the lighter color

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads