• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stop the Texting People...

TowleY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
Is anyone else completely sick of text messages. Instead of calling someone up and saying what you need to say, you trade a series of text messages that last 30 minutes when the conversation would have only lasted like 2 minutes. Or you are talking to someone, and there phone goes off and they try to carry on conversation while they are typing out something on their phone.

Am I old-fashioned?

The only thing that I hate it when my mom texts me.
Bryan, how was yor day of school. Sent 3:46 pm
Bryan did you get my last text message. Sent 3:47 pm
Bryan why arent you answering your texts. Sent 3:48 pm
Bryan give me a call whats going on. Sent 3:50 pm

This is all seriousness. I just scrolled through my phone and copied what was texted to me my last week at school.

And yes, im 18 i hate the long conversations in texts also. Not old fashioned either. Texts hould be use for the "What r you doing later" "Whos at the party" "where are you" Not a whole conversation. Or a long elaborate essay.

dexterhaven

Reaction score
I'm glad this thread got bumped today. I don't know how many texts I got this morning, obviously sent en masse, that said "Merry Christmas" or some such thing. What possesses people to do that? Do they really think that some goofy message sent to me along with everyone else they possibly know is going to make me feel special? And then there's the "text speak" (wutz up w/ U, I wanna c 2, etc.). Can you believe there are grown men who actually write like that and apparently see nothing wrong with it?

BoilerRoom

Reaction score
People don't realize how much of a nuisance texting is for people with phones that lack keypads or autocomplete.

If a question requires more than a "yes or no" answer, don't send it to me, please.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoilerRoom
People don't realize how much of a nuisance texting is for people with phones that lack keypads or autocomplete.

If a question requires more than a "yes or no" answer, don't send it to me, please.

Buy a better phone. Thanks.

eztantz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by michaeljkrell
Is anyone else completely sick of text messages. Instead of calling someone up and saying what you need to say, you trade a series of text messages that last 30 minutes when the conversation would have only lasted like 2 minutes. Or you are talking to someone, and there phone goes off and they try to carry on conversation while they are typing out something on their phone.

Am I old-fashioned?

I'm with you on this - it really pisses the **** outta me. I understand the point of sending one text to get a message across without having to call and get caught up in a conversation but heavy texting back and forth is ridiculous. After 2 texts I tell guys "I'm not a girl, I dont have conversations via text - call me if you need something."

oneeightyseven

Almost Special
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BoilerRoom

Originally Posted by Piobaire
Buy a better phone. Thanks.

N97!!1!11!!!
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

APK

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I opened this thread and got a text from someone within 30 seconds of doing so. To be fair, it was a message with a request, which is fair grounds for texting.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't text ... but then I have no youthful children. In addition to not texting ... I limit to immediate family and one or two close friends those who even know my cellphone number. Others can leave a voice mail on my telephone at home or the office. I simply don't want constant interruptions to my day.

I was with a client just a few days ago. During our two hour meeting she received multiple text messages and umpteen cell phone calls ... her husband, her mother, the drug store (or her dealer ... I'm not sure). Typically I'd say something ... but I've known this particular client for many years -- in fact she is one of my best -- so I let her get away with it. Besides ... she's paying for my time when she stops to talk on the phone or read a text message.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unjung
'Cause pio wants to sext you.

Well, if you'd liven up your game again, you might get more from me. Stop being prudish.

sunror

Reaction score
i find txting to be swifter when communicating with old friends and with family. i have a tendency to shoot the **** with such people and conversations will drag on surprisingly long - not that that's a bad thing. but txt is more temporally efficient than speech with these people

Surfrider

Reaction score
Originally Posted by babygreenspots
Granted it can be less efficient, but I think that at the least it is courteous to send a text before calling a person, unless the caller and called are on the most intimate of terms. Texting almost compensates for the evil of mobile phones.

This makes no sense to me whatsoever. Calling somebody is rude...? Why the hell were phones invented, then? If you don't want to be disturbed, turn your ringer off. Or edit the ringers/permissions on your phone to only allow certain callers rings' to be audible? Or don't carry a phone?

This viewpoint seems totally off-base to me. You mentioned China; are you Chinese? I.e., from China? If so, maybe the "issue" here is different social mores....

Britalian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what should one do if the idea of speaking on the electric telephone is something quite detestable?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even though I text and use all kinds of technology to communicate with doesn't mean I'm obligated to respond right now. If I don't want to answer a call, text, email or whatever at the time I won't. If someone keeps calling and calling I know how to use the power off button and I use it often. When someone bitches about it I tell them I was doing something and to get over it or f off. I don't expect anyone to be my beck and call slave so they should do likewise.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads