• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stop the Texting People...

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Saucemaster
It doesn't seem weird to you to dial up your dad, say, "Hey, nice shot by Kobe", have him say "Yeah!", then go, "uh... okay, bye." And to probably do this a good twenty times during the game?

Actually, sending a text saying "Hey, nice shot by Kobe" to your father seems more weird to me than making an honest effort to actually have a conversation. Do you really have to send him these texts throughout the game anyway? What's the point again?

Here's how I do it. If I know my dad is watching a game I might call after the game and talk to him about it for a bit. Most phone calls between us last about 5 to 10 minutes usually and don't require any in depth discussions really. Then again, my dad wouldn't even know how to text on his phone.

Like I said, if it works for you two, that's fine. I'm just saying that texting is generally used precisely because people don't want to actually have a conversation with the person, which begs the question, if you don't want to actually have a conversation with them, why not just not have the conversation at all and wait until you do want to?

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lance konami
Actually, sending a text saying "Hey, nice shot by Kobe" to your father seems more weird to me than making an honest effort to actually have a conversation. Do you really have to send him these texts throughout the game anyway? What's the point again?

Here's how I do it. If I know my dad is watching a game I might call after the game and talk to him about it for a bit. Most phone calls between us last about 5 to 10 minutes usually and don't require any in depth discussions really. Then again, my dad wouldn't even know how to text on his phone.

Like I said, if it works for you two, that's fine. I'm just saying that texting is generally used precisely because people don't want to actually have a conversation with the person, which begs the question, if you don't want to actually have a conversation with them, why not just not have the conversation at all and wait until you do want to?

An after-the-game convo would be fine, but this is more like actually watching the game together. When I'm at my parents' place and we watch a Lakers game, as usually happens when I'm there around Christmas, it's the same thing: we're both watching, not talking, then there's a great shot, or a bad call, or something, and you praise it or grumble or express frustration, then you both shut up and watch the game some more. This is the same thing, only without having to hold a phone to your head and have long silences, which for whatever reason are weird and awkward on the phone, but fine in person.

bbaquiran

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's fine. See the part where I wrote "I can understand the usefulness of texting for addresses, instructions, and logistics"

We also found it very useful in ousting a corrupt president.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
People who don't understand texting are most likely old/old fashion. It is a highly efficient way of communication, and just because you can't type on your cell phone as fast as you can type on a computer doesn't mean the rest of us can't. It is very useful, lets say I want to talk to 5 friends at once to meet at 8 somewhere, I can do this all very quickly with one text sent to 5 people. If I were to call all of them it would take a while. Also during work hours, if you need to communicate with people outside of work but don't want to call, this is a real easy way of sending a quick message.

Rude people are rude people so if someone is non stop texting while trying to hold a conversation with you, they would be multi tasking with something else, it isn't just because of texting.

Even my parents in their 50s have switched to text messaging, instead of having to call me for every little question, they can quickly ask me a question and I can answer, short and sweet.

Next someone is going to say cell phones are useless.

JetBlast

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joshua Arson
"Outside the box" is too mainstream of a descriptor for my tastes.

Touche
lol8[1].gif

JB

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm just saying that texting is generally used precisely because people don't want to actually have a conversation with the person, which begs the question, if you don't want to actually have a conversation with them, why not just not have the conversation at all and wait until you do want to?

Do you communicate in any manner other than full-blown heartfelt face-to-face conversation? Why not save all the greetings, the bullshit hows-the-weather, the 30-second chats in the hallway until you actually want to sit down and go over for feelings for an hour?

you make no sense

Bottom-line. You can complain about texting. You can complain about how new forms of communication detract from Good Ole Conversatin'. These are all valid viewpoints. But HOW CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS WHILE USING AN INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD????

lance konami

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
Do you communicate in any manner other than full-blown heartfelt face-to-face conversation? Why not save all the greetings, the bullshit hows-the-weather, the 30-second chats in the hallway until you actually want to sit down and go over for feelings for an hour?
How in god's name did you conclude from what I said that I only want to have "full-blown heartfelt face-to-face conversations" and "go over feelings for an hour?" What the ****?
you make no sense
Ok?
Bottom-line. You can complain about texting. You can complain about how new forms of communication detract from Good Ole Conversatin'. These are all valid viewpoints. But HOW CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS WHILE USING AN INTERNET MESSAGE BOARD????
Texting does have it's place. I'm just saying that when it becomes the preferred medium of communication it isn't a good thing. Communication is mostly non-verbal, and a text only contains a tiny piece of information. "e-ships" or "text-ships" are really not all that healthy. Perhaps you'd rather talk to people over your cell phone's keyboard. I'd rather hear them, and look at them, and not have to hallucinate them. And again, I'm talking about real life friendships and relationships with the opposite sex, not a bunch of people I don't know on an internet messageboard, for christ sake.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I likes to use this new thing, called the WAP phone. iT's great for WAP

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mark from Plano
Yes. Frankly, I don't think that the NSA really cares. However, my wife is a divorce lawyer and text messages between a cheating spouse and their paramour are now often subpeonaed and presented as evidence in divorce cases. I would think that in any official court proceeding where they are relevant someone can get at them. With a phone call they have to be actively taping the call in advance to get it and, of course, most states regulate that in some way.
Thank you.

herzzreh

Reaction score
Stupidity from last night...
I get a message from a number I don't recognize -
"Im soaking wet...thnak you for a really nice dinner."
At this point I call back to find out who this is. No answer.
I send this "You're welcome, but I don't think we had dinner."
Get "IS THIS ANDY?"
Send "Nope."
Get "Sorry for bothering u...have a great night. haha"

This went on for 15-20 minutes. WTF, people?!?!?!?! Had he answered my call in the first place, it would've been resolved within seconds.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 104 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 13.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads