• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Stop Dressing Like a Freshman/Dad Jeans/Sporty Sunglasses

Hany

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tarmac
People that know nothing about jeans and can't be bothered to learn about it (nothing wrong with this, by the way) should just shop at target, gap, old navy, etc.
I really think you over value jeans.

Originally Posted by LA Guy
The fit of those Loro Piana jeans are reasonable, but the wash is atrocious. I've seen the jeans in person, and the workmanship and denim are both passable at best, as well. In the $250 category, you can get amazing jeans. A pair of 5EP "straight down" jeans have a higher rise and more room in the seat and thighs and would fit a more. ahem, "mature" figure. The are made with amazing denim, have way, way, way better hardware than the Loro Piana jeans. The construction is likewise better. I know that both 5EP and SPURR jeans are carried at Bergdorf Goodman (SPURR is also carried at Louis at a ridiculous markup), and can only assume that the buyers decided that these brands were beyond the understanding of the Neiman Marcus customer.

I agree that Diesels are a bad choice at NM. In fact, I can hardly recommend anything from their "streetwear" section. I think that Neiman Marcus has the worst selection of "streetwear" of the three bigs (Barneys and Saks being the other two) and that is saying a lot seeing that Saks is pretty atrocious as well.

Thank you for your "education" about jeans' construction. I was talking about aesthetics only.

Originally Posted by LA Guy
This is a stupid statement. "I agree that not wearing straight ties is the best idea. Bowties, for example, are much better for businesswear" seems like a sensible statement by comparison. I reserve this type of categorical statement only about thong underwear for men. Your post makes me think that Nieman Marcus customers were not wrong about the knowledge base of their customer at all.
Sorry I offended you but to each his own. I stopped wearing jeans, sneakers and non collared shirts. IMHO the polo, chinos and mocs look is the best...

BTW I am not a Neiman Marcus costumer I just went there to find a picture knowing they have a "classic" category on their website. I don't believe in online shopping and don't buy too much RTW unless heavily discounted.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh man, there have been some great quotes in this thread. My dad wears dad jeans and a polo every day of the year. When it is really super hot out, he wears dad jean shorts with a polo and tevas.

I wear slightly sport sunglasses some days because I don't want to worry about scuffing my more expensive ones. They don't have iridium lenses though, that is just silly.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC
Jeans aren't really their thing. I've never been a jean freak, myself, and I don't know ubiquitous UNIQLO is across the world, but they make what some say are fine, modern jeans -- from Japanese denim, some of it selvage -- in a variety of cuts and washes. Without any extraneous pocket embroidery, etc. They cost from $40–$80 or so. If I were to wear them, I'd stick to a straight leg in raw or very dark denim with no whiskering, stone washing, or other purposeful distressing. http://www.uniqlo.com/us/
Of the jeans I've seen, I thought Dior Homme and Jomon made some nice looking pairs. Of course, they are also the more expensive, especially Jomon.

mendel

Reaction score
You guys are all talking about the inside edge of the Dad Jeans line. The problem is that the guys wearing Dad Jeans aren't on that inside edge, more like this:

smile.gif

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mendel
You guys are all talking about the inside edge of the Dad Jeans line. The problem is that the guys wearing Dad Jeans aren't on that inside edge, more like this:

smile.gif

Yes.. and worn one inch too large at the waist and two inches too short. I see this look on my Thursday/Friday afternoon flights home. The "casual" look of business travelers is so typical.

Oversized, gold-buttoned blazer
Polo with some industry related embroidery and sleeves past the elbow
Dad Jeans (above)
Tassled Loafers

Also, the socks are never done right, especially since the Dad Jeans are always worn far too short, so the foot/sockware is displayed prominently. Pick one: Hiked up white tube socks, way too dressy black or navy, or none at all.

mendel

Reaction score
Originally Posted by briancl
Yes.. and worn one inch too large at the waist and two inches too short. I see this look on my Thursday/Friday afternoon flights home. The "casual" look of business travelers is so typical.

Oversized, gold-buttoned blazer
Polo with some industry related embroidery and sleeves past the elbow
Dad Jeans (above)
Tassled Loafers

Tassled loafers? You must fly business class. I expect all-white cross-trainers.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mendel
Tassled loafers? You must fly business class. I expect all-white cross-trainers.

Ya.. this is on domestic first class. When I fly in cattle class, I agree with your observation. Lose the blazer and replace the loafers with white gym shoes. Unfortunately, since I recently switched airlines due to relocation, I am stuffed back there more often than not.

bullethead

Reaction score
The standard travel uniform mentioned above didn't make me laugh. It actually sent a chill up my spine.

Now, just add the palm treo pressed to the ear (or on the belt clip) and a goatee that is one inch too wide on each side and the picture is complete.

I can remember lay overs Heathrow when I was a young boy. My father and I were in suits, my sisters in dresses and my mom in a skirt. After I had one too many Cadbury bars and put my Dinky tanks back in my BOAC carry on, I would sit back and observe all the well dressed people on there way to wherever around the world, never getting bored.

It's kind of a shame to see the way people travel now.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by FlaneurNYC
Jeans aren't really their thing. I've never been a jean freak, myself, and I don't know ubiquitous UNIQLO is across the world, but they make what some say are fine, modern jeans -- from Japanese denim, some of it selvage -- in a variety of cuts and washes. Without any extraneous pocket embroidery, etc. They cost from $40–$80 or so. If I were to wear them, I'd stick to a straight leg in raw or very dark denim with no whiskering, stone washing, or other purposeful distressing. http://www.uniqlo.com/us/
Being something of a young old man--and having only one pair of jeans--I went to Uniqlo yesterday to try theirs. What is up with the sizing? A 32" waist and a 33" waist fit like a 30" waist. Is this a jeans thing across the board? Or did I fat out magically on Sunday?

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bullethead
The standard travel uniform mentioned above didn't make me laugh. It actually sent a chill up my spine.

Now, just add the palm treo pressed to the ear (or on the belt clip) and a goatee that is one inch too wide on each side and the picture is complete.

I can remember lay overs Heathrow when I was a young boy. My father and I were in suits, my sisters in dresses and my mom in a skirt. After I had one too many Cadbury bars and put my Dinky tanks back in my BOAC carry on, I would sit back and observe all the well dressed people on there way to wherever around the world, never getting bored.

It's kind of a shame to see the way people travel now.

Really, a shame? When I'm traveling home, I am much more interested in being comfortable than entertaining you with my wardrobe. There are times when you should dress to impress, but there are others when comfort is key....hence I will never own a pair of EG slippers
smile.gif

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Being something of a young old man--and having only one pair of jeans--I went to Uniqlo yesterday to try theirs. What is up with the sizing? A 32" waist and a 33" waist fit like a 30" waist. Is this a jeans thing across the board? Or did I fat out magically on Sunday?

Perhaps your pants are vanity sized?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
My father wears the ultimate in "Dad Jeans." He has a pair of PLEATED jeans with an awful wash that makes them a lighter blue than has been fashionable in 15 years. Pleats on jeans are like the ultimate insult to good taste.

I actually think they're from some Ralph Lauren line.

I haven't bought a pair of Diesels in a few years, but the two pairs I've had have been the best-looking, best-fitting, most flattering pairs of jeans I've ever owned. And I get compliments on them all the time. Maybe their styles have gone a little crazy since then, but I don't understand the Diesel haters on here.

And as for totally abandoning jeans in favor of chinos... eck. If that's your look, fine, but disparaging jeans as a whole is the kind of thing that makes you seem like a dad... even more than wearing pleated or otherwise dated "dad jeans."

I happen to feel that pants should be wool, or linen, and perhaps occasionally silk/silk blend, but that all cotton pants should be jeans. Chinos/khakis don't fall right. The material is always too canvassy. At a minimum, chinos, like jeans, should never be pleated. Which basically rules them out on me anyways.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If anything, I heard that the Uniqlos fit large. Meaning something tagged "32" is actually 33 inches or bigger. But, don't fret, just measure the jeans you have and find the true size.

All you "actual dads" out there, if you are near NYC and feel clueless about jeans, I fully recommend going there and getting a pair, in the darkest wash you can find.

FlaneurNYC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure. Which cut did you try? I'm a 34 and wear a 34 in trousers there. Though I haven't bought any yet. I just tried them on.

I did try some of the more slim cut stuff and it was too tight. A little in the waist, maybe, but mostly through the thighs. I'm more of an athletic cut.

One of my good friends swears by the "Slim Straight Jeans" in raw denim. Not the "Skinny" cut.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Archipelagos