• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mr. Pink

Reaction score

Too slick, IMO. Esp with all the shaping at the waist. Not sure what you mean by workwear type jeans, but if you mean the kind of stuff from Sugar Cane and Mister Freedom, those seem even more ill-suited. I wear slim-straights from Stevenson, RRL, 3sixteen, and Flat Head and still find them too sleek.

LVC 1955s and 47s, so same idea.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

LVC 1955s and 47s, so same idea.

Yea, for those I think you need a much more casual boot. Especially the 1955s.

FWIW, Zonkey was started by the founder of Saint Crispin's. It's supposed to be a sort of "weekend brand" for guys who wear Saint Crispins and Edward Greens during the week. I've handled some of their models and think they're pretty nice, although for something as workwear-y as the 1955, I still think you're better off with a chunkier, heftier boot. Maybe some of the heavy boot styles from C&J or Alden. Or even straight-up workwear boots, like engineer boots from Mister Freedom and John Lofgren.

Prob depends on what else you wear though.

Last edited:

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts on what styles of shoes would be really nice for using the olive green guys? I was thinking between an austerity brogue, u cap toe/wing, a v/diamond cap toe, or one of those offset rounded caps/wing hybrids

What are your thoughts?

Also any thoughts on what last would look nice on it with factoring in that I will be getting a custom last for my extreme size US 14 AA or so feet. After quick looking I've though about the classic or Riva lasts because I use GG on MH71 or TG73 for chiseled lasts. And I was thinking that screwdriver or Novello may look too long with how long and narrow my feet are already. Any thoughts?

I say Diamond V-Cap, classic last.

U wing on the Riva

Thanks and any other suggestions are also appreciated. I'm trying to get a good mix from you guys at what sounds like it would be nice in style and last for the green color as well as my extremely long narrow foot

mw313

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Olive chukkas would be hotness.

They would be nice but I have a few chukkas and want some different styles that are dressier like I've listed.

Why does one want green shoes?

I have many types of browns and burgundies, plus more than enough black shoes, as well as many different materials for texture, including a loden suede, so I want to try out a green one in a great style. I even have blue and grey pairs too. Plus it will be my first pair of St C and I want to make one that will be a little more "out there" while still being clean and professional enough for my work.

So I'm already set on the green but I'm only asking about opinions on the styles I mentioned (diamond/V cap toe, U-wing, austerity brogue, and mid length rounded wing tip / cap as seen in the pictures in the previous post), and which last you guys think would work with the combination of green color and shoe styles with my long narrow foot.

Because after awhile another brown shoe just doesn't cut it anymore.

Besides GREEN is Goodddddddddd!!!

Exactly! Great comment DDD

Last edited:

Dib

Reaction score

If I remember correctly from my visit to The Armoury, VNA is harder wearing than Crust, but Crust patinas more. I don't remember the attributes of FUN or SOF.

Do any forum members have any experience of how the VNA compares to CRU/FUN in terms of comfort and breaking them in?

I'm currently a couple of wears into a new pair of St C's made in VNA which feel significantly more snug (and consequently a little more painful) than previous pairs which i'd had made in CRU or FUN (all on the same modified last)...is this to be expected with VNA? I don't recall having these breaking in issues with the CRU/FUN pairs I had made, which felt pretty comfortable from the outset.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I don't own VNA, but Philip told me it is his hardest leather and takes more breaking in than CRU. It is also aniline dyed and has a topcoat. FUN is softer than CRU, but not as soft as SOF (which Philip hates, btw). CRU is the hardest of the crust leathers.

Dib

Reaction score

I don't own VNA, but Philip told me it is his hardest leather and takes more breaking in than CRU. It is also aniline dyed and has a topcoat. FUN is softer than CRU, but not as soft as SOF (which Philip hates, btw). CRU is the hardest of the crust leathers.

Ah ok, that explains it then.

Hopefully the VNA will feel the same as my CRU and FUN pairs once it has softened up a bit then (otherwise i'll have to think about modifying future commissions which are to be made in VNA to give a bit more room).

Thanks for the feedback.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads