• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't experienced this, but my vendor told me not to use renovatour or any cleaning agents, as they will destroy the finish.

Really?

I know Renovator will generally take off some of the polish, so I imagine it would certainly dull up the shine they apply before shipping the shoes.

But I can't imagine it would totally destroy the finish.

Last edited:

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Some makers might have their own methods...but crust basically has no finish. It is fundamentally a "naked" leather. The shine, the colour, the antiquing, are all applied after the shoe has been made.

If Renovateur can take off polish, it will take off all those after effects.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have had a discussion with Philip about polishing and such and he says he doesn't like Renovateur for the exact same reasons I was nearly crucified for saying in the shoe care thread: It is very drying.

The only time I use the stuff is a very, very small, half a pea sized amount on the toe and heel counters in lithe swirls and a quick buff to bring life back to the high shine. Reno has a lot of turpentine in it and it essentially takes off some of the dryer wax that is exposed to the air and smooths things out a bit. So essentially I am only using it on the highly "finished" areas of the shoe that don't flex and have a waxed finish to them. Using it frequently as a "conditioner" as so many people do is bad for your shoes in my experience (about 5 pairs in the garbage due to the uppers cracking) and it is highly drying for the leather. Less is more. The best thing you can probably do to your shoes is keep them clean and dust and dirt free.

Last edited:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some makers might have their own methods...but crust basically has no finish. It is fundamentally a "naked" leather. The shine, the colour, the antiquing, are all applied after the shoe has been made.

If Renovateur can take off polish, it will take off all those after effects.

Ah, Ok this makes sense. Thanks for sharing.

I have had a discussion with Philip about polishing and such and he says he doesn't like Renovateur for the exact same reasons I was nearly crucified for saying in the shoe care thread: It is very drying.

The only time I use the stuff is a very, very small, half a pea sized amount on the toe and heel counters in lithe swirls and a quick buff to bring life back to the high shine. Reno has a lot of turpentine in it and it essentially takes off some of the dryer wax that is exposed to the air and smooths things out a bit. So essentially I am only using it on the highly "finished" areas of the shoe that don't flex and have a waxed finish to them. Using it frequently as a "conditioner" as so many people do is bad for your shoes in my experience (about 5 pairs in the garbage due to the uppers cracking) and it is highly drying for the leather. Less is more. The best thing you can probably do to your shoes is keep them clean and dust and dirt free.

Yeah, well do to your experiences and from what I have personally seen I am starting to use this a lot less as well. Now I use more VSC and some Saphir Neutral Cordovan cream.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I can see why Renovateur might not be the best choice for a delicate, subtle shading on crust.

As to the drying issue, I see no cause for crucifixion, but your experience is very different from my own. Our winters are exceedingly dry, and I have never experienced any cracking of leather resulting from use of Renovatuer - which I do use on all my calfskin shoes (I use Cordovan cream for horsebutt).

But then again, I am neither using it frequently nor in great quantity - and I'm not sure why anyone would.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Ah, Ok this makes sense. Thanks for sharing.

Yeah, well do to your experiences and from what I have personally seen I am starting to use this a lot less as well. Now I use more VSC and some Saphir Neutral Cordovan cream.

VSC is worse than Renovateur. It is loaded with petroleum distillates.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Cheer up, pb, traditionally crucifixion has always been reserved for the pure of heart and those speaking unpatable truths.

You're right, they're wrong. And so it shall be...world without end.

:laugh:

:fonz:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had similar conversation with Mr Car; he strongly advices against conditioners and said cream/Polish is enough.

And yes, renovator is only good for highly polished leathers and does dry out antiqued ones.

Ejirardo

Reaction score
This is good to know for both my Saint Crispins and Bontonis. Guess I will have to ditch the reno. So is the appropriate course of action to use a cream close to the color of the shoe when needed and then a wax based polish?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

This is good to know for both my Saint Crispins and Bontonis. Guess I will have to ditch the reno. So is the appropriate course of action to use a cream close to the color of the shoe when needed and then a wax based polish?

You don't need to ditch the reno. It is great for raising a high shine in a dull toe and hell, over highly polished areas. You don't need to use a lot. But for other areas of the shoe it is too drying, especially across the vamp.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
No, it is essentially the same thing. Use GlenKaren, Lexol, or Bick4. Or do what St. Crispin's site says on shoe care...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads