• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Identity Crisis

Reaction score
Thank you all! In J Crew jeans and chinos I tend to wear a 31x32 but they are definitely vanity sized. My only concern with the S&M extra slim is the high arm hole. I have a a slightly larger chest for my size and don't want it to pull due to the height of the arm hole. I am sure I am overthinking it but I guess that's part of why we are here...

Interestingly, if I go 15.5/34 in contemporary it sounds like a 44" chest and 40" waist might be a decent fit. Would the 16/34 in slim (which has .5" larger dimensions than the 15.5 contemporary) actually fit slimmer due to the higher arm hole?

I just tried 15.5 contemp vs 16 slim in the new oxfords and for me slim is the way to go. Body fit is pretty close between the two, but for me when I raise my arms contemp shirt tugs too much, I assume bc of the arm hole.

Also i don’t like the wider sleeves on the contemp and I have fairly big arms.

Of course this depends on how you prefer your fits.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
So I'm not the only one who wants to know...

Great collection? Is that also a brown silk Eidos back there? Or did S&M scoop up that fabric too, once upon a time?

Good eye! Yes, that one is Eidos.

68stang

Reaction score
I just tried 15.5 contemp vs 16 slim in the new oxfords and for me slim is the way to go. Body fit is pretty close between the two, but for me when I raise my arms contemp shirt tugs too much, I assume bc of the arm hole.

Also i don’t like the wider sleeves on the contemp and I have fairly big arms.

Of course this depends on how you prefer your fits.

This is VERY helpful. Thank you for the detail. My arms are maybe average or slightly bigger (15.5" bicep) for my size and I wasn't thinking about that. I would probably be best with the slimmer sleeve of the slim fit and would be concerned that the extra slim might be tight in the arm.

Reaction score
I stopped by the Toronto Street store on Wednesday. It was a great experience. In addition to get a couple of long sleeve polos, my salesperson, Amit, helped me buy two trousers. The Spier & MacKay tailor is working on removing the belt loops and adding side tabs. I didn't get any discounts or bundled pricing, but totally believe that the pricing is beyond fair at full price. Also, given the quality and experience, this is a place I want to support.

infinidox

Reaction score
Not sure if Spier has done this before but how about some patterned flannel trousers for next year. Herringbone?

They had at least a couple of houndstooth flannels last year (black/white and black/blue).

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These look like Mainetti hangers (look at their wood tone line). They have an online store that sells boxes of 30's to the US (free shipping) and they happen to be located in Canada.

Love those hangers, I split a box of 30 with a friend and almost had them put the Spier logo on them but they wouldn't do only half the order haha

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics