• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just got home from the gym and found a parcel waiting for me!

I usually wear a 40R slim, which is what I ordered in the blue moleskin.
View attachment 878450
Since the closest in lovat was 42 contemporary, I decided to grab that in case it could be tailored to fit (the shoulder measurements are too much bigger). Sleeves and waist definitely need doing, but what do you think? Shoulders ok? Keep it?
View attachment 878449

They are both gorgeous and even better then I’d hoped for. I’d really like to wear both, but maybe I’m fooling myself on the lovat? @spiermackay?

I would say the 42 might be a little long on you and obviously too big in the waist, but it's tough to tell. The 40 looks pretty perfect.

I too bought a 42 contemporary new lovat moleskin with that amazing daily deal they had, but 42 is my normal size haha. It just arrived yesterday. Super fast shipping! :)

I have ordered the navy blue tuxedo and am eager to see it in person! Curious though if you had a recommendation for a bow tie and cumberbund to pair it with? I am new to black tie wear and so am i need of some recs. Thanks!

Post pics when you get it! Seems like one of the best options out there if you need a tux.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm reaaaaaaally falling hard for the VBC houndstooth flannel and might have to grab one soon. This material wouldn't be too thick as to need a size up would it?

Also, what would you pair it with? Jeans and a navy shirt seem to be a given. Navy khakis as well. What else?

I just recently got back from a trip to Italy and Holland and while I was there I was crushing soooo hard on a Boggi Milano flannel sport coat that had a neat removable zippered section in the middle, but at 395 euro I held my ground and just couldn't do it. I ended up with a Spada Roma cotton/wool jacket in brown for 110 instead. It's almost like a chambray of sorts.
IMG_4878.JPG

This new S&M flannel has me (partially) forgetting about that Boggi jacket. Ah, lust.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I'm reaaaaaaally falling hard for the VBC houndstooth flannel and might have to grab one soon. This material wouldn't be too thick as to need a size up would it?

Also, what would you pair it with? Jeans and a navy shirt seem to be a given. Navy khakis as well. What else?

I just recently got back from a trip to Italy and Holland and while I was there I was crushing soooo hard on a Boggi Milano flannel sport coat that had a neat removable zippered section in the middle, but at 395 euro I held my ground and just couldn't do it. I ended up with a Spada Roma cotton/wool jacket in brown for 110 instead. It's almost like a chambray of sorts.

This new S&M flannel has me (partially) forgetting about that Boggi jacket. Ah, lust.

I'm on the same boat with you regarding the vbc houndstooth. Been waiting for it to be dropped on daily deals or black friday. Gonna pair it with the brown moleskin pants that I just got.

Spex

Reaction score

Any of the navy/blue trousers that S&M has now (tweed, moleskin, flannel...too much flannel?) would work well IMHO. I'm also of the mind that greys and browns pair with any of the colors of the rainbow. In the fall the darker versions of these colours are better. So for example you could wear forest or olive (green), burgundy (red), plum (violet) or rust (orange...not a fan of gold/yellow for trousers, or most items for that matter).

I also don't personally like the combo of grey and brown unless it's a lighter grey with darker brown. I can't get behind charcoal grey with tan (personal pref). You could try a chocolate brown trouser with the grey houndstooth.

Shirt-wise anything from white to pink to any shade of blue that doesn't resolve to a similar shade as the grey would work.

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also don't personally like the combo of grey and brown unless it's a lighter grey with darker brown. I can't get behind charcoal grey with tan (personal pref). You could try a chocolate brown trouser with the grey houndstooth.

I was wondering about that lighter grey top / dark brown bottom combination. It looks nice on the photo below. I'm going to try this with the grey tweed when it arrives.

P17100408570.jpg

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was wondering about that lighter grey top / dark brown bottom combination. It looks nice on the photo below. I'm going to try this with the grey tweed when it arrives.

My .02 is that I just don't like the light on top with dark on the bottom; but the reverse, a dark brown sport coat with gray trousers can be spectacular with the right hues. The hues are particular important because the gray needs to work with the warm brown - more heathered and less steel - otherwise they can be garish or just clash.

This is a pretty good example of hues that work (I'm ignoring everything else). The trousers could even stand to be a few shades lighter.

88188f9c692ede6304d0a2d1332dc357--preppy-men-fall-winter-fashion.jpg

It's a tough pair to pull off, but when it's right... good luck!

MrGimpy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a navy melton topcoat. Couldn't pass it up for that price. My current coat is much lighter so this heavier version should be nice. Just hope it fits. LOL!

https://www.spierandmackay.com/top-coat-wool-navy.html

I was out in Mississauga today and stopped by the shop to try this one on. It's a very nice piece and fit true to size for me.

At the price it would have been a no-brainer but I ended up going with the wool-cashmere topcoat instead. Thanks for twisting my arm on that one, Rick.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does the moleskin blazer get more flexible, stretch out a little over time? I just got mine and the fit is quite snug and you guys don't have 36 in contemporary.@spiermackay

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Does the moleskin blazer get more flexible, stretch out a little over time? I just got mine and the fit is quite snug and you guys don't have 36 in contemporary.@spiermackay

Yes. All cotton does. Like a pair of jeans or cords. Break it in. Rough it up. Get it wrinkled. It will just look better too.

TheVirt

Reaction score
Yeah, I just wore my moleskin jacket for the first time out today. It was definitely borderline stiff in the morning but it's already started to loosen up and feel more comfortable. Reminds me of breaking in another pair of raw denim!

jamie411

Reaction score
Here we gooooo....

Here's the sizing scoop. I am normally a 40R slim and don't really need alterations. All pics left unedited so you guys can get an idea of the colors. Pics are fresh out of the box so I think they will drape a bit better in the sleeves and shoulders after they get steamed out and break in a little.

Donegal is a 40 slim, I did order a contemporary as well and they both looked identical on me so I'll wear them around and layer a bit to see which works better.

Gun check is 42 Contemp. Also ordered a 40 contemp but it was too snug and giving me shoulder dimples.

Slub is my normal 40 slim, feels good. Light and enough room to layer without an issue.

Strange that the sleeve length appears close to identical on all of those. I ordered a 40 Slim but was shipped a 42 Slim and the sleeve length is very long - it’s a bit big all around but not hugely so.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Would I be okay washing the merino wool sweaters on the delicate setting of my washer? I know it says dry clean only, but worth asking.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads