• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What I Wore Yesterday -

AM: Clissord fresco Neo cut
IMG_5978.jpg

PM: Midnight barathea tuxedo
1699300062808.jpeg

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Love the Tux and the fit is superb. Is this the tux that was released this season? If so, how woukd you rate the shade of midnight navy? Is it darker than the classic navy? Thanks!
Many thanks. Yes, this is the tux recently released in late October 2023. The shade of midnight on this tux is more inky, and thus darker, than a navy. I have another midnight tux (a dated slim-fitting number I had made eons ago), and it's darker than that. This one is a mohair blend though, so it has a tinge of sheen to it, which I dig because it keeps the color from just being flat. Even though it's a deep dark blue, you can still tell it's not black. In the photo above, just look at the lapel facing in juxtaposition to the suit fabric beside it.

hysteria

Reaction score
Have the polo coat sizing changed again this year?
I have a 38s from last year that fits slimmer than a 38s from this year. I know they made them longer, but the shoulder also doesn't line up as well and waist feels larger. I feel like I have to order a 36s now to get the same dimensions as last year.

hysteria

Reaction score
Did the polo coat sizing change this year?
I know they're supposed to be longer, which I can attest to but 38S from this year seems to fit much larger than 38S from last year around the shoulder, chest, waist. Seems like 36S from this year will probably correspond to 38S from before.

NOBLENAGA

Reaction score
Mate, you're not deriving information so much as you're speculating and making some very rough inferences. The only thing we can conclude for sure is that the new OCBD batch comes from a different mill.

The buttons? Lighting could very well be making it look more saturated than the previous batch.
The stiffness of the fabric? Could very much have to do with how the shirt cuff was pressed/finished into the packaging

You're still speculating when you're extrapolating that Spier must be cutting costs and making things "worse" (which in and of itself is relative to our own tastes and preferences).

Let's actually withhold judgement until Spier answers us here or someone has the new batch in-hand to compare vs the previous one.
Hey, sorry if my wording made it appear that I was indicting S&M. I thought I was clear that I was looking for information and only presenting things as they seemed to me. But in summary, we are in agreement. I would like more information about these perceived changes and I try my best not to pass undue judgment on anyone.

As I said at the beginning of my post, I love what S&M does, and wish them long success and growth. They are my first choice when I need items. I am not however a dogmatist in anything; And if S&M starts to put profit before value to the customer, then they become the same as any other brand and there would be no basis for a relationship at that point.

Zaxxon8

Reaction score
Did the polo coat sizing change this year?
I know they're supposed to be longer, which I can attest to but 38S from this year seems to fit much larger than 38S from last year around the shoulder, chest, waist. Seems like 36S from this year will probably correspond to 38S from before.
I just asked a similar question to their customer support about the Ulster code versus the polo coat length, and whether or not the sizing guides that are publicly posted on their listings are accurate to the "new" length. According to s&m customer support, the sizing guides are completely accurate and representative of the current lengths of their Polo coats.

classicoutfits

Reaction score
Hi. I have been trying to find a tailor that does functional sleeve buttons for suits. Called a few and everyone says they don’t have the “machine”
Any suggestions? I can change the sleeves to nonfunctional I guess but kinda defeats the purpose of paying additional prices for this higher end pieces

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Did anyone buy one of the trench coats? I know they’re partly poly, but they look pretty nice.

High-quality trench coats are $1K+ at places like the Andover Shop, Drakes, O’Connell’s. Not looking to spend that much.

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give some insight into the sizing on the chunky cardigans? I fall squarely between a 42-44 usually, wondering if I should go for a M or L in this case.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi. I have been trying to find a tailor that does functional sleeve buttons for suits. Called a few and everyone says they don’t have the “machine”
Any suggestions? I can change the sleeves to nonfunctional I guess but kinda defeats the purpose of paying additional prices for this higher end pieces
where are you located?

Moo Wenwu

Reaction score
Did anyone ever not receive matching buttons on a sport jacket they ordered? I ordered this sport jacket and was pretty excited for it (https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/brown-windowpane---neo-cut---full-canvas-s1592-15579d4-nesc-01-fw22?utm_source=criteo&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=Non Buyers&cto_pld=1Ul-5b_lAAAaCvsMerEMjw), but when I opened the package, I couldn't find the buttons. Are the buttons supposed to be stored in a pocket? I checked the pockets and everywhere but couldn't find the buttons.

Thanks for any help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads